So You Want To Be A Keeper???

What are you going to do with all your land then Lab? Rent it off?

Got a lassie with horses taking it...:-)

• Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well ive wanted to be a keeper for a long time since about 10 year old   so i went to newton rigg and done very well best attendance record in the history of the course ect ect as part of my cours

I'll have a crack . . .   It was always something I wanted to do when I was a kid. . . same as farming really. But growing up, I was always told not to, for all of the usual reasons . . . and so I f

I think what lads need to realise is that keepering should never be about the sport/shooting you may get but it is all about the sport you provide all the way from the beaters smacking rabbits, to tak

Wanted to be a keeper [BANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

Wanted to be a keeper [bANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

a lot of ex keepers i know regret goint into keepering....my old head keeper did. and a fair few are bitter about it all..

I ... like many think the golden days of keepering are gone..

• Like 1

Wanted to be a keeper [bANNED TEXT] i was very young and at ayoung age got talking to the keeper who Barry Hines baised his book and film about and he put me off as he seemed bitter about the way he had been treat and he had become a jehovas witness.

a lot of ex keepers i know regret goint into keepering....my old head keeper did. and a fair few are bitter about it all..

I ... like many think the golden days of keepering are gone..

Truth is the halcyon days of keepering ended in the 70's as soon as commercial shooting,bag and shot expectations and the new breed of uber-rich with "new money" became the vouge then keepering and its associated pressures where set to change for the worst.

• Like 1

I am the classic poacher turned gamekeeper .I had always been into terriers ferrets and running dogs and snared longnetted and caught things in every manner possible . I then got roped into beating on a local estate and i was hooked . Got a spaniel then another then another before i knew it i was picking up as many days as i could . Then i started helping the local keeper on the rearing field / gamefarm . I never thought about keepering for a living , i didnt think it would pay . Then one day the keeper says "if this job come up would you be interested ?" I said if i could make it pay ,cos ive got a mortgage . That was in 2007 the old keeper retired and ive been doing the job since and i love it , good family to work for , moneys not bad , im me own boss , outside all day doing what i love . I work as a keeper full time for 7 months and do building work for the other 5 . On a shoot this size it wont pay fulltime but i wouldnt swap places with anyone . My only regret is i didnt go into it younger .

• Like 2

There are still proper estates and. Keepers out there , then theres chickenfarmers

Think I worked for a chicken farmer then lol we just used to churn out chicks to box up and send off to the various shoots

There are still proper estates and. Keepers out there , then theres chickenfarmers

Think I worked for a chicken farmer then lol we just used to churn out chicks to box up and send off to the various shoots

. No bud your a game farmer. Honourable profession