yet the curious thing is, is that the best birds i have seen have been yard bred, hens running lose amongst cocks on tethers, left to lay there eggs where-ever, what chicks live, live, and what dont, oh well.

And its a fair common thing, many a men in the states would say the same thing. But i myself dont like suprises, i like to know whats in my birds, i want to have faith in them and know if something goes wrong, i am at fault.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For me its about keeping what you have, and trying to keep them at the top of what you are trying to accomplish with them, and the only way you can do that is by single mating, you can have ten hens i

No bulexs like I say we all gotta start some where.... And bye no means do I know everythink my self..... But when you have air heads stateing facts about breeding ...... And running down greats....

A clever man learns from hes mistakes, but a truly wise man learns from other people's !

Posted Images

Some guys are more successful than others and the Brood Pens are where the success starts. I do what I do and others will do what they do, whatever makes you happy, but there is a lot of rubbish on the Internet and Book educated people. There are not many guys who will tell the whole truth about how they achieve their results, it is a competitive World....lol.

• Like 3

There are so many different methods to breeding and what seems good to one man might be sacralige to the next in my honest opinion listen to everything ,read plenty , and try what you fancy, if you try to take it all in at once it will blow your brain. Pick the meat and leave the bones some might say .i like to think trial and error makes sense if it don't work how you want try it another way, I have heard say don't breed from first year hens and others say use a 3 year old cock to young hens and that is ok .me personally i like my hens to be 2 years old to breed but I know of people who will breed from every thing they have just to get large numbers of birds and take their pick . But this is just my opinion .atb basil

• Like 3

There are so many different methods to breeding and what seems good to one man might be sacralige to the next in my honest opinion listen to everything ,read plenty , and try what you fancy, if you try to take it all in at once it will blow your brain. Pick the meat and leave the bones some might say .i like to think trial and error makes sense if it don't work how you want try it another way, I have heard say don't breed from first year hens and others say use a 3 year old cock to young hens and that is ok .me personally i like my hens to be 2 years old to breed but I know of people who will breed from every thing they have just to get large numbers of birds and take their pick . But this is just my opinion .atb basil

A clever man learns from hes mistakes, but a truly wise man learns from other people's !
  • Like 3

yet the curious thing is, is that the best birds i have seen have been yard bred, hens running lose amongst cocks on tethers, left to lay there eggs where-ever, what chicks live, live, and what dont, oh well.

And its a fair common thing, many a men in the states would say the same thing. But i myself dont like suprises, i like to know whats in my birds, i want to have faith in them and know if something goes wrong, i am at fault.

That does not shock me in slightest.... That the best bird you've ever seen where aload of culls..... I bet theses are the same ones your always pedalling on here.... Keep up the good work!.. Uk
  • Like 1

All this is excellent stuff fellas, and Basil it does blow yer mind, but a bit at a time not running before you can walk is good advice ( if you're patient ;) ). I do have some young pullets, and a stag which i do like, i am gonna wait till nxt yr for breeding off them, a lot can change in a yr too. This forum, and this kind of chat is great for learning and picking up tips. The right knowledge is wisdom too.

• Like 1

as regards the age of a breeding pair, I personally would breed out of a good produceing hen as long as possible ,

but she would have to have really proved herself. but in general I think young healthy stock will produce ,

better offspring . kinda like a young couple having a kid, or granny and granddad poping one out..

one successful breeder had the rule of thumb the combined age should never add up to over 7yrs.

if it worked for him and by all accounts it did fair play..

• Like 1

That does not shock me in slightest.... That the best bird you've ever seen where aload of culls..... I bet theses are the same ones your always pedalling on here.... Keep up the good work!.. Uk

Sorry, do i know you? or do you know me? I doubt it so what are you on about? you come on here giving it the big licks, when most of the stuff you put on is copied and pasted, and as it was stated on here, the birds werent mine, the real chicken men on here know who they belonged to, but to be honest, what you think of me or my fowl, i dont really care

Give it break duclkling!.... me give it the big licks .... Men in the states would agree with you? Lmao ..... You've never left Cumbria mate..... As for your proper chicken man on here backing you up..... I've forgot more about gamefowl then they ever learnd..... Keep licking arses.... They Mayt let you tagg along to one of shows.... Who nows you Mayt even get gifted a pair of ginger.... And you can come pedell them on here!...... Uk

• Like 1

Give it break duclkling!.... me give it the big licks .... Men in the states would agree with you? Lmao ..... You've never left Cumbria mate..... As for your proper chicken man on here backing you up..... I've forgot more about gamefowl then they ever learnd..... Keep licking arses.... They Mayt let you tagg along to one of shows.... Who nows you Mayt even get gifted a pair of ginger.... And you can come pedell them on here!...... Uk

never claimed to know it all about fowl, and aint about to start saying names who i know, but the funny thing is mate is i am originally from liverpool, grew up there, moved to cumbria, and had jobs in newcastle, durham, south sheilds and hertfordshire, so guess you are wrong there.... your a gypo arent you?