Cartridge Choice

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

kent velocity 29grm 6's.

whatever your comfortable with mate im pretty sure its psycological i think you need to be a bloody good shot before cartridge choice starts to make a difference (within reason obviously) that said i

Rc sipe 32gram 5's best all round cartridge wether it be game, pigeons or vermin

As it's been said, very few of us will see much if any difference when using different loads/make of cartridge, maybe the speed that shot travels might catch a few people out, but that will only need a swing thats a bit quicker or slower to solve that. The difference from brand to brand now isn't like it was just 15 or 20 years ago. & let's be honest, we all look for something to blame if we shoot shit, cartridges are the easy thing to blame, 9/10 it's human error .

• Like 1

There is no doubt what your saying Ali but you know how much catridges I fire in a year ....Started using sipes in Nov and there is a deffinate differance like I say they are a very good killing cat I was out shooting pigeons last month over over kayle but there was a grass verge end rig about 30 yards so where our hide was some of the birds coming in were 60 yards plus as we paced it out I was consistanly dropping them at that range once you got your eye in ....I gave my mate a box and he dropped his first 10 in a row with the sipes....most of the keepers are using them up here now ....Im heading home from Brunei tomorrow and will give you a box to try ....you will be impressed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use the best I can afford, I have used cheep £4/5 a box 29/30gr 6/7's with no success , just filling a field with shot & fibre..May as well make every shot count with quality 32/34gr 6 ;)

if I hit 6 out of a box of 25 cheep carts, its simply false economy, when it takes 3 boxes to get 18/20 birds with a crap pattern. May as well use quality £9/10 a box carts & use 25 & hit 20+ !! ;)

I use the best I can afford, I have used cheep £4/5 a box 29/30gr 6/7's with no success , just filling a field with shot & fibre..May as well make every shot count with quality 32/34gr 6 ;)

if I hit 6 out of a box of 25 cheep carts, its simply false economy, when it takes 3 boxes to get 18/20 birds with a crap pattern. May as well use quality £9/10 a box carts & use 25 & hit 20+ !! ;)

+1

Use the best you can get or you'll lose confidence in your own ability,

Never found the need to use more than 28gr 7's on Pigeons but they are always very respected makes with good patterns.

its worth trying a box of fibre and plastic wad in your choice of cartridge to see which suits your gun best aswell. plastic do mostly tend to hold there pattern better but some guns will shoot fibre better and vice versa imo.

28gr 7s are more a clay catridge although I have used them with a tighter choke but imo they don't cut it as a consistant killing round

The debate could rumble on forever Mik, which cartridge is best for what,

I've always shot 28gr of 7's at almost all feathered game up to the size of Pheasants and I still to this day use them on driven pheasants.

The difference perhaps is their quality. A good clay load has a good pattern. It has to for performance on a clay ground when some targets are 75 yards away,

Eley FITASC I've used in the last five years and they kill incredibly consistently through my 1/4 & 1/2 Side by Side. They are expensive, so I would expect no less.

I personally don't see the need for a larger shot size that reduces the amount of pellets in the pattern, but that shell suits me and equally may not others,

Que Sera Sera as they said at Waterloo :yes:

Que Sera Sera as they said at Waterloo :yes:

Here, here.

Eley Blues all the way for me, 28gr 7.5's. And at 20p a cart, it's almost as cheap as shooting with the .22! My 1/2 & Full O/U consistently puts down anything from Woodies and Rooks, to Hares with them out to 40 yards.

Ask 10 men, get 10 opinions. What works for you, works for you :thumbs:

• Like 1