"daisy And Sid's Big Day Out"

Well today being a fine day I thought I'd go over and meet a mate for a couple of hours on a farm I was asked to control the rabbits on,I don't have a grown lurcher at the moment so he was bringing his to catch any runners my terriers missed,so I thought I'd take my young lurcher pup "Sid" of 14weeks and my young terrier bitch "Daisy" of 15 weeks along just for the education,my pups come along most days but with this poor weather and flooding they have spent a lot of it in the van,"Daisy" has been marking holes whilst out ferreting for the last few weeks and each has been a solid mark thats had bunny at home when the ferret was slipped in ,"Sid", however has been a little slower but has showed a little interest the last few times out,I also took 2 of my bitchs that are top class on bushing,I never took any ferrets as the plan was to work the hedgerows and take stock on what was left after 2 months of heavy control with a view to going back later this week with the ferrets,halfway through agreeing to control this farm the dreaded myxie hit on one side of the lane knocking the numbers hard,I've been taking a few lads starting young lurcher pups off with me just to put stuff in their mouths as early success can't be beaten,it also stops rabbits wandering around spreading disease,heres a few pics of the day,the highlights for me was "Daisy spotting one in the field and running it down with a little late help from her grandma,also "Sid" woke up to what he's there for and wanted to carry and retrieve every rabbit,but as usual my 2 adult bitches caught everything else, WM

"rabbit spotted by pup Daisy"

"The Cavalry"

• Like 4

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few more of the day, WM     "Sid decides he likes this job and its his"          

Well today being a fine day I thought I'd go over and meet a mate for a couple of hours on a farm I was asked to control the rabbits on,I don't have a grown lurcher at the moment so he was bringing hi

I don't really have an average day as I take quite a few different lads out to help me with ferreting, pest control, etc, I normally take 3 terriers and a lurcher myself and it just depends what my gu

I'm assuming that was a myxied rabbit the terriers caught out in the open?

Also - when you're ferreting d'you ever do it without nets and let the terriers position themselves to nab bolters? If so, how successful are they at it? I have a lot of thick thorny hedges that are a pain to net at best, impossible at worst, and am wanting something small and fearless in cover for exactly that, and am wondering if the sort of terriers you've got might do the job.

WCM, how large is your pack during an average working day?

I don't really have an average day as I take quite a few different lads out to help me with ferreting, pest control, etc, I normally take 3 terriers and a lurcher myself and it just depends what my guest brings, the most I've had with me this season was me, my lad with his 3 dogs and my mate and his lad and their 3 dogs, we ferreted 2 hedges on either side of a field and at times it was "bedlam", everyone I know or take out has at least 1 of my terriers, there are certain parts of the estates and farms that don't particularly like dogs, I done a small private estate in Cheshire for an ex MP who was very posh and I agreed to ferret his lakeside, rockery and outhouses around his stately home, he wasn't in when we arrived and we set up around his rockery, we put out a long net halfway up this massive lawn for anything that went that way and a couple of short nets to catch any that went up the paths to the outbuildings and potting shed, we netted the holes we could see and whilst we were putting these on my lurcher got one out of a flower bed, I had my lurcher watching one side and my mate had his on the other, well we were doing quite well with around 12 rabbits caught by the purse nets, these were hanging on the fence behind us when I seen the car come up the drive, now it dawned on me we hadn't mentioned we ferret with the dogs as back up for any holes missed, well he seen us with dogs on his neatly cut lawn and you could tell from his face he wasn't coming down to offer us a cup of tea, he was taking huge strides with a face like thunder when a rabbit bolted from a bolt hole hidden under a rock straight towards him, my lurcher "Tess" took off after it and nailed it just before him jumping the net in some style before retrieving it back over the net right to my hand, his face changed in a flash and upon getting up to us said he didn't know we brought dogs as well, he complemented us on how well she had caught it and said just do what you like then and sometimes on occasion he would get a chair and watch us work, I always mention the dogs when I go to see them for the first time now as they will soon tell you if they have any preferences, I have walked away from a few farms that don't like dogs on their land before now, WM

• Like 3

I'm assuming that was a myxied rabbit the terriers caught out in the open?

Also - when you're ferreting d'you ever do it without nets and let the terriers position themselves to nab bolters? If so, how successful are they at it? I have a lot of thick thorny hedges that are a pain to net at best, impossible at worst, and am wanting something small and fearless in cover for exactly that, and am wondering if the sort of terriers you've got might do the job.

Quite often, I really love days without the nets catching 1 in 2 is the ratio I work off without nets, these terriers are intelligent and understand exactly why they have been told to wait in the hedge or watch a hole each, they wag their tails in anticipation, I find the more you do with them the better they get at it, oh and by the way it was a myxied rabbit, atb, WM

• Like 1