Condition 4 Fox Can I Shoot Deer

Was going to apply for a variation for a 223

For fox (simple) 1-4-1 but I would like a 243

Then I could go on a odd days payed deer stalk 4 2/3 year max

But! I think I would get cf ether cal, for fox ,

But if I mention deer are they going to say sorry ds1 needed, (more cash un aggro)

So if I apply for 243 fox it will be conditiond ? (Written) on fac,, so would I be able to still go for a days payed stalk ??????

Confusing I know really stuck on this one

Couple of questions in there what to apply for? Best route, & if I get it for fox can I still shoot deer payed only ,

Thanks in advance pete

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 3 FEO`s are wrong then.   I get sick of hearing about FEO`s making folk jump through hoops of there own making.

It is this simple, if you do not have a condition for deer on your ticket,YOU CANNOT SHOOT DEER, dsc1 is NOT required to shoot deer in the uk, however we see plenty of forces insisting that people hav

BASC is not doing what it is supposed to do by helping members and shooters by standing up to the various bodies who just want to rip of shooters by making them hold Deer shooting certs that cost hund

You down here bud well thats what 3 feo"s told me

The law says nothing about DSC1 being required to shoot deer species. FEO's like it as proof of safety and understanding. Read up on it. Google is your friend. Know your rights and you start to realise how and what you need to do.
  • Like 1

It is this simple, if you do not have a condition for deer on your ticket,YOU CANNOT SHOOT DEER, dsc1 is NOT required to shoot deer in the uk, however we see plenty of forces insisting that people have it before granting a deer legal calibre, most applicants will roll over and take the easy option and do dsc1 in order to obtain their deer rifle, now the police are perfectly within their rights to add whatever conditions they like to your certificate, mentoring conditions etc, what they cannot do is insist that you have a largely meaningless qualification in order to grant you a deer calibre, if you are a suitable person, have land to shoot on, and authority to take deer, they will be very hard pressed not to grant you said deer calibre, they MAY, and probably will insist on a period of mentoring from an experienced stalker, depending on what part of the country you hail from, it is a little hard to advise a direct course of action when you have only added a brief description, however, my advice is, if you are not already, join the BASC, if you do not already, get to know a local stalker who is willing to take you out, possibly on one of your permissions, and show you the ropes, a letter from an experienced stalker will go a long way when you put your variation in, also if you can I would buy a day or two paid stalking, this shows you are genuine and keen to learn, and a letter from the stalker, will again stand you in good stead, above all speak to BASC explain clearly your circumstances, and ask what advice they give, but remember whatever they say, dsc level1 or 2 are only required to shoot deer if the landowner IEthe Forestry commission insist that stalkers on their ground hold the qualification, otherwise it is not a requirement, good luck I hope this helps.

• Like 3

BASC is not doing what it is supposed to do by helping members and shooters by standing up to the various bodies who just want to rip of shooters by making them hold Deer shooting certs that cost hundreds of pounds, and which are not a legal requirement and putting a stop to the police for asking for a DSC1 cert before they will grant a deer condition on your FAC. It is not "illegal" to shoot DEER without a DSC1 because this cert is not worth the paper it is printed on, it is BASC and other bodies trying to make it a LEGAL REQUIREMENT to make a lot of money out of shooters. Just ask the police where in the home office guidelines to gun ownership does it state you must have a DSC1.

BASC has secured a lease with members money on 4000 acres in southern england to provide stalking for BASC members, only if you have a DSC1 cert. or they can put you on a course that will take 4 days and cost you £290 as you can see BASC has made up this cert to make big money out of all the BASC members and shooters BASC YOU ARE A DISGRACE AND NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE you should be FOR the shooters of this country and NOT AGAINST THEM.

RANT :censored:

• Like 3

Fao's have GUIDELINES in every force area, seams in my experience its how your fao interperates these, as to how you'll get on..

Ask them where in the home office guidelines to gun ownership and licensing does it state you must have a DSC1 before you can have a condition for Deer. THERE AINT.

• Like 1

The law says nothing about DSC1 being required to shoot deer species. FEO's like it as proof of safety and understanding. Read up on it. Google is your friend. Know your rights and you start to realise how and what you need to do.

We will soon be hearing next we need to have a PSC1 as a condition on our SGC to shoot pigeons and demonstrate our skills in plucking and gutting a pigeon. What we need is an Assocation to join who puts the shooter first and stop all this money making out of shooters. and that Assocation is NOT BASC

• Like 3

A .243 would be more versatile calibre for your foxing and deer interests. Just ensure you mention both on your application, you can't expect them to grant for deer shooting if you don't ask for it ;)

I got both calibres on my first FAC without having to do the DSC1 first. I stated that I wanted to do it and they added a condition that I stalk with an experienced person until I've passed it. Nice and easy :)

Don't fret about what may or my not happen or go on the strength of what a page full of people say on a forum. Get your app in with the right wording and get the ball rolling...

We will soon be hearing next we need to have a PSC1 as a condition on our SGC to shoot pigeons and demonstrate our skills in plucking and gutting a pigeon. What we need is an Assocation to join who puts the shooter first and stop all this money making out of shooters. and that Assocation is NOT BASC
My reasoning for BASC is solely down to the insurance they can offer me. Because of my age, I pay less (young guns). Once this stops, my insurance is likely to come from SACS, CA, or the next cheapest.
  • Like 1

Unfortunately I don't think they're daft enough to grant you All Legal Quarry on a deer legal calibre without specifically excluding deer 1st.

My advice if you really don't want to do DSC1, is join a shooting organisation such as the BASC and if necessary be prepared to go to Court over it.

As others have said, there is no legal requirement to my knowledge to take DSC1 before shooting deer. However, standing your ground might mean you have a fight on your hands.

I think your only course of action is get membership of a body that has insurance and will fight your corner (I recommend the BASC for licensing issues as I believe from memory, SACS exclude a lot of license issues from their insurance) and then take advice. I'm almost certain the advice will be apply and see if it's refused before going further, but you need to take the BASC's advice on that, not mine!