Bushing With Beating Dog

The only 1 thing I will say is make sure you got it stopping 100% before you even think of taking it out with a runner. Can you imagine the temptation for the pup to brake a stop and join in the chase with another dog. At least when out with other gundogs they should all be trained to a reasonable standard so the temptation is less. Now saying all of that crack on and have fun my friend, because I do it with my cocker and whippet, cheers hh

• Like 3

No problem mate, like I said iv done it for years with various type of spaniels and whippets, my new cocker pup loves bushing with the runner, but is still out beating twice a week and usual gundog work. Same as my old springer in the picture underneath stop whistle and obedience is paramount, cheers hh

DSC00062.jpg

• Like 3

My little cocker pup know what stop whistle means but when she sees game she ignore everything she learnt so of to the trainer Saturday for some help and my lurcher pup is only few weeks old at moment so I got plenty of time to work on training them both uou dogs look well by the way mate bet they knock a few up

Do you know any 1 with a rabbit pen. That will help bring the pup on in leaps and bounds as long as used correctly to steady it up. Also will improve its nose and hunting skills as it's got game in front of it, so every hunt is a possitive reward which will just boost its confidence. But what ever you do dont take the runner in there haha, could you imagine the trainers face lol cheers hh

Yes i use all my gundogs for bushing with my Lurcher, i also use them with friends Lurchers / Terriers with no problems.

Like said above they have to be finished with their training and you have to be strict with the stop whistle.( especially with Spaniels which can easily loose there heads)

I have a young Springer 8 mounth which i took on the last 2 days of the season, i will take her out bushing over the summer but will just treat it like an ordanary beating day and hunt her under control not letting her run riot with the other dogs.

My Lab on the other hand has always ran with the pack, i also let her run in and never attempt to control her in anyway with the whistle, as this would dilute any training done.

But as soon as the whistle comes out she is back to a gundog and it works very well and i tell you what you have never seen a keener hunting Lab.

And being only 21" she is Mustard in the cover.

I know 99% of Gundog trainers will be screaming "NO" at the computer screen, but if you get your training drummed into them, then do plenty of refresher training before next season, you will have some cracking fun.

I have been using my cocker as a bushing dog for my lurcher, not had the cocker long but its been good fun!

Getting local running that was not really possible before I got the cocker, when you see them getting a bit harder on and exited just get ready with the whistle, they dont like being stopped when the other dog is running but they need to get used to it as it happens at shoots aswel they cant retrieve every bird they want to.