Long Before The Ban, Mobile Phones, Internet, Saluki Crosses, Matches, And Comps, Clubs,

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these hare dogs were running the lincolnshire fens, some old pics from around 1977 1978, that i just dug out, seems a long time ago now, but i hadn't heard of matches, competitions, or £££££££money£££

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his

My first Lurcher was bred from Cotton King, to a good hill collie bitch, 1958, I was 14 years old, cotton king won the waterloo cup, he was trained by Harvey Wright, who was a neighbour of my Granni

Posted Images

Nice thread & great pics, my dad's main thing was coursing, from the 60's up to 1980, he coursed throughout the 70's on the fens, mainly with a settled traveler called Arthur Grey & various other characters/travellers, I loved hearing his stories from this time..........he had various running dogs, but his best by far, was a big fawn dog, Shem,out of a bitch my dad put to Linden Ealand, my earliest memories are of being in the back of vans with these dogs & hares :-)

We left the country in 1980 & he had to sell his coursing dogs, he reckoned he cried on the way home when he parted with Shem.............he still reminisces about that dog to this day........those pictures remind of the pics I grew up with, very similar dogs...........I can't remember my dad ever mentioning money

• Like 1

Great thread cocker and some great pics, same as everything else, it always seems like I should have been born 30 years earlier...!!

I enjoy listening to my grandad talk about his dad and the greyhounds he kept. He said one of his best dogs was bred in Ireland, sired by Pigalle Wonder, he told me of good times throwing cash about in the back of cars on the way home from races, and he said he used to take them out coursing "to keep them keen" haha.

I hope I will be telling stories of good days out in 20 years time. :thumbs:

• Like 1

lovely memories youve brought back for me, thanks boys. so many stories, dont know where to start, like bringing a fox the dog killed home on the bus in a bag cos i was gonna stuff it, dog and fox between them stinking the bus out, and me being thrown off and had to walk the last 2 miles home

or me and my mate in his first car going over some bit of metal on the A2 and cutting the fuel lines and being stranded with dogs and ferrets and not quite sure how to get back home to london (his dad bailed us out, towed us all the way home with a bedofrd van he borrowed).......

keep em coming lads

• Like 3

Getting buses LOL Feck we just walked, Houghton Regis to a good chalk quarry/nature reserve at Sharpenhoe about 8 miles, ferret/ wander through the pits at Charlton/Sundon on the way. Mid day spit in your hand to give the ferret a drink then eat your sarnies, drink either cold or boiling tea from the flask, never the right temp lol then walk home. Was lucky to get a couple of bunnies, fecking mad but loved it summer or winter.

• Like 2

I used to nock of school way my cur iam shure my dad new what I was up to the folding 410 sticking out the schoolbag I remember stealing his Vauxhall viva and Humber think he had a beer mat for a tax disc more like penny blacks you were rich if you had anything else and most of all everything was for the pot unlike today the old yin has his first shotgun licence on the wall a tanner from the local post office I remember going around the country lanes those camma Cassa doors came in handy I was better trained than a gun dog lol

sneaking off to school with a gun in your bag i think this just happens in london now lol a wish i was into hunting when i was younger to many people with to much to say now

I used to be out with the dog and ferrets before school and then straight back out as soon as I got home, and then a bit of lamping later that night.

On a weekend me and a couple of mates would walk with a range of dogs and ferrets about 12 mile to a place called Esholt, spend all day there harassing the rabbits and the odd hare if we were lucky, then after a glass of pop in the woolpack we would walk all the way home carrying whatever we'd caught.

Nothing got left, even the mixy rabbits made it home.

When I think back the dogs I had then must of been as fit as you could ever get and I don't even remember them having any days off because of injuries. Lol

• Like 1

lamping had just taken off early eighties it was mainly daylite coursing ferreting and a bit rooster shooting back then ,back then if a dog couldnt catch a hare on his own or paired he wasnt a dog ,more hares then and less restrictions great days ,my early memories of lamping were the cur crosses could get a hare, but not in the daylite as the hare was to clever fast,youle not get any better than one dog in a80 acre feild trying to pick a brown scut up on winter wheat great sport it was , sorted the dogs out , back then,

Edited by fluff
  • 2 weeks later...

great topic mate 1 of the best ive seen on here needs a bump me thinks the good old days ay mate my son is always begging me to take him down the fens where me and his older brother used to go every Wednesday and sunday I wish I could take him and show him real coursing but too much hastle nowadays thanks to the do gooders / tossers :thumbs: