Long Before The Ban, Mobile Phones, Internet, Saluki Crosses, Matches, And Comps, Clubs,

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these hare dogs were running the lincolnshire fens, some old pics from around 1977 1978, that i just dug out, seems a long time ago now, but i hadn't heard of matches, competitions, or £££££££money£££

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his

My first Lurcher was bred from Cotton King, to a good hill collie bitch, 1958, I was 14 years old, cotton king won the waterloo cup, he was trained by Harvey Wright, who was a neighbour of my Granni

Posted Images

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his dog brin killed 4 from 4 on Salisbury plains they went to the pub had a drink give the dogs a rest and went lamping brin done another 4 from 4. He told me some story's and the craic they got up to. Long before my time but the good old days, a million miles from how it is today.post-56664-0-67282100-1392553951_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

, all the eejits under the sun getting into it , not proper country men ,and no respect ,we hunted local plenty hares , new the farmers what ones didnt mind what ones did, what estates were full time keeperd what was not ,early eighties [BANNED TEXT] through to late ninties not much hassle ,and if you did you just says im after afew rabbits end of ,to be agood hunter poacher you have to no the lie of the land and a little respect at times ,takes years of expierence , the minute mobile phones got popular lurcher books etc educating the public,magazines, people traveling alot more to hunt uncharterd land without local knowledge, etc things got hotter and more complicated ,bypasses killed more hares than any dog in some areas ,times change in the hunting world not always for the better

• Like 4

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his dog brin killed 4 from 4 on Salisbury plains they went to the pub had a drink give the dogs a rest and went lamping brin done another 4 from 4. He told me some story's and the craic they got up to. Long before my time but the good old days, a million miles from how it is today.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

good story and great pic salukixgrey good to have a picture like that of your grandad, all the best pal

• Like 1

In my town there was about half a dozen lads who had Lurchers, we all used Lurcher to Lurcher apart from one who always worked first cross Collie x Greyhound or 3/4 .

the ferret i had came from Abbot Brothers it came up on the train in a cardboard box, I collected it from the Guardsvan, opened the box and grabbed it, when it immediately sank it teeth into my hand, and this was not a nip, he was a huge Hob mean as hell, took me weeks to settle him.

I also bought my first Lurcher from the Exchange and Mart Deerhound X Greyhound X Whippet Greyhound, and turned into a decent dog.

never had any permission, my permission was, as far as the eye could see.

The most noticeable thing was the ammount of Hares, fields which allways held one two, now its rare to see Hares in these fields.

• Like 4

i used to love reading those old adverts for lurchers in the exchange and mart,

bedlington greyhound collie greyhound x whippet greyhound x norfolk lurcher HJKC any quarry day or night £50 any trial

remember lockharts lurchers herne bay ?

• Like 3

Nice thread cocker,,, I'm bit younger,,, got my first ferret in 80,,, and dogs a couple of years later,,,, I must be the only person,, who had good ferrets from abbots,,, came on the train,, in Woden boxes,,, never bit,, and all worked no probs,,,,

Ferret box on the my bike rack and off I went,,,

Mid 80's past me test,,, £200 for a vaxhall chevet,,, and off we went,,, Dunham bridge was a faveriout area,, for lamping bunnys,,, back then it cost 15 p toll to cross Dunham bridge,,,, we forgot one night,,, and gave the old boy in the little hut a rabbit,,,lol,,,can you imagin 4 lads in a car,,,, and we couldn't find 15 p,,,lol. It laughable really ,,,, but that's what is was like back then....

• Like 3

when i was younger this was the only place you could look to buy lurchers, i couldn't afford to buy it so i used to go down the public library to read it, or sometimes read it in whsmith then put it back, the only way i could contact a person was by public phone box as we didn't have a telephone. i couldn't afford the magazine never mind a dog out of it, but i liked reading the adverts and dreaming of owning the ones i liked the sound of

1979 exchange and martpost-5042-0-04543600-1392573554_thumb.jpg

• Like 5