Long Before The Ban, Mobile Phones, Internet, Saluki Crosses, Matches, And Comps, Clubs,

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

these hare dogs were running the lincolnshire fens, some old pics from around 1977 1978, that i just dug out, seems a long time ago now, but i hadn't heard of matches, competitions, or £££££££money£££

This pic from the 70s cocker my grandad with two bitches he had. He passed away now but loved the game, they used to run them hard. He had a good deerhound greyhound lurcher,one day they went out his

My first Lurcher was bred from Cotton King, to a good hill collie bitch, 1958, I was 14 years old, cotton king won the waterloo cup, he was trained by Harvey Wright, who was a neighbour of my Granni

Posted Images

great days then,lot of great runs an no crap,great dog men in them days not like some of these lads to day ,we were all in it for the sport an the crack,pity different days now, :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeh TK out to Roughfort or Ancalon for a spin an a bit of crack :thumbs:

Youngsters make the mistakes that piss off their elders,the same mistakes the elders made in their time?,its easy to knock the less knowledgeable when we have knowledge,miserable old twats with little patience and understanding.Some youngsters are feckwit ignorant numptees,some are not,some of the more knowing and knowledgeable elders know far less than the better educated saplings.

Ncb wellies, stood freezing in them two pairs of socks and bread bags on your feet. Walking across plough at Draxs, watching everything from a whippet to a deerhound gallop

Remember a lot of cayotic days courseing in the same area late 70s early 80s one particular day a proffesional boxer from s.yorks who had an exseptional lurcher that could catch hares got loose a few times but nobody dare tell him to pay the fine for a loose dog .

Edited by tatsblisters

My first Lurcher was bred from Cotton King, to a good hill collie bitch, 1958, I was 14 years old, cotton king won the waterloo cup, he was trained by Harvey Wright, who was a neighbour of my Grannies, I trained the pup off that mating on mixy rabbits, and he took his first Hare around 14 months old, he stood around 26" good pace, and stamina to burn, in those days there was Hares in almost every field, I left school 1960, straight to work, 1961 down to London,

Asphalt paving, Motorways M4 slough by-pass my dog had a field day, down there on rabbits the cabbage fields, the boys could not believe how he could work,

even around the gravel pits near Feltham, had Hares and rabbits, back in those days the Asphalt plant would break down, no supply of mix, the dog was in the works van, out for a spin, Freedom lads, and nobody asked any questions, Paid top dollar, + the ole subsistance, and running the dog, in my young days I was classed as paver operator, paid, 2 hours a day for machine maintance,= 10 hours per wk, for putting a few shotts of grease into a few nipples, running my dog,

I thought life cannot be any sweeter, the section of work covered from Colnbrooke to reading section, In 1968 I moved back up north M6 Penrith by-pass, then Shap section, works van, a dog bred down from the first fellow, Rabbits, Hares, grouse, and pheasant, it was all there from the courtesy of Lord Lonsdale estate,

and again making top dollar, double bonus, ((( that was the priveledge of being a foreman, works van, a 12 bore shotgun, catridges, an ole dog lying stretched out across the front seat, ((( could you imagine that happening today, truth lads that was all in the 60s and up to early 70s then the first recession I ever new about, 1972/3 Teds Heaths government on the floor, and from that day on up to present the country has been on a down hill slope, from Salt ash in cornwall,

to the Shetlands, I have travelled + more, with a good ole Lurcher, ((((( like one time we were in Honiton, devon, I just filled my car up with the best of red diesel mid 60s IT SNOWED OVER NIGHT, MY CAR WAS PARKED ON A HILL, when I came to the car, there was a trail of Red diesel, coming from my car,

for at least 20 or more yards, like a dog pissing in the snow, I got started up and out of there as quickly a,s,a,p, only small snippits of some my experiences,

today 2014 I have two dogs, saluki/grey/whippet, that mix, are they any better than my good collie crosses No never those dogs in my young days were never at the vets, No electrolytes, only a good cup of tea with plenty of sugar in, or Honey and water,, cheers lads,

• Like 12