Any Ideas?

Andrewevo6

Morning people, looking for a terrier breed to work the thicker cover, I have the opportunity to get a wheaten from really good working lines and have seen the parents work they will fly into any cover/bush however I have been thinking of the jagd or beddlington terriers? (Kind of ruling out the jadg unless I can find a breeder for bore somewhere in Europe as they tend to be bigger and less chance of going to ground.. I don't really want to be pulling It out of every badger set I come near!! Which leads to my next question, as I don't know any beddlington breeders can anyone give me any information on finding decent working beddlingtons suited for me?

Regards andrew.

Ah is that true? I'm not to clued up on them, non of my mates work them and very few even breed their dogs unless they are after pups themselves, basically all I can get from decent stock is the wheaten, was wanting something fast through tight bush like gauze and brambles ect (already got a weimaraner that will work everywhere else)

Cheers for the replies, starting to rule the beddy out.

Thanks Andrew.

Yeh I know what your getting at WM but I got the weim more for taking running/biking and family pet (mam and dad love the breed and I was living more at home when we decided to get a dog) he hunts like crazy and does everything and always puts a smile on my face, Don't believe all you read about weims they are bright as a button and keen as a bean... The dog is to come to work with me as I work away a lot I stop in a caravan near the forest (normally a farm) I get plenty opportunity for a mooch and ratting but not so much with the gun unless I go out with a friend on a weekend , the dog will mainly be used for pushing rabbits to the runners and hopefully catch a few while im at work.

Cheers andrew.

Why is a weimaraner poor?

+1

The few I know will handle fur and feather. Also fur that will bite back (fox, cats, rats). They have not been used to shoot over but still have a steady point and the speed to catch bunnies. A good one can really be a great dog. Great nose!

He's always worked well for me ;) and makes a great family dog as well, sometimes will hunt up in front to far but he's pretty good with the whistle so he's easy brought back.

Any other terrier ideas? Don't want to rush into a wheaten but better the devil you know and what not.

Thanks andrew.

I would not go for a Jagd. You are right, dogs of some lines may grow bigger, but they defenetely have the will (to work underground), so they likely stuck or spend lot of time and energy to arrive to the quarry.

ATB,

Anna

Personally I use old small lap dog style jack russells, most people wouldn't glance twice at them, but they will work any thick cover to push rabbits and pheasants out, switch off at home, have a nice steady pace to them when working, and while there's always a chance they will pop down under I find them the least likely to be inclined compared to some other breeds that have a bit more fire in there belly.

I know some favour plummers, others spaniels or spaniel/ terriers etc..depending on the land they work etc.

Edited by wuyang