Bedlington Whippets?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My lot of half x beddlington whippets, alot of people under estimate these little dogs and can have quite a shock when they see them out doing there job, i cant speak for every one and all dogs are di

I think the main reason some people dont like beddy whips especially first xs is because of useless show beddys and useless show whippets are being bred into the working stock and because people just

My 3/4 whippet 1/4 Beddy, still got a good coat and excellent feet even though only a 1/4 Beddy.

Posted Images

I've a little half x beddy whippet she's 7yrs old there cool looking little lurchers but I don't think I'd have another my bitch is 17tts shes shit on the lamp giving her size far more rabbits get away than are court as she gets out paced as the lands flat big land the rabbits don't give second chance but as a mooching about bitch she's not bad she marks to ground an ferrets very very well I think a beddy greyhound to be a far better choice but as for beddy whippets yapping on the lamp I've not encountered this with mine

Sounds like the same problems I had with a pure whippet bitch.
  • Like 1

Cant speak highly enough of my beddy whippet. 3 generations of lurcher to lurcher breeding. Put in a full days ferreting yesterday and managed hers and mines first night lamping last night. Gave her 6 runs and she caught 5 out of 6 but dropped the last rabbit. She caught a hare during the day a few weeks ago when we were ferreting. Shes not the best busher and cant see squatters even during the day. Wont touch birds and im surrounded by pheasants lol. Has yapped once or twice but caught everything she has yapped at to date. The coat does help big time. My dog got caught on top of barb wire fence st stephens day and never got ripped luckily.

post-94140-0-78294300-1452450456_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've a little half x beddy whippet she's 7yrs old there cool looking little lurchers but I don't think I'd have another my bitch is 17tts shes shit on the lamp giving her size far more rabbits get away than are court as she gets out paced as the lands flat big land the rabbits don't give second chance but as a mooching about bitch she's not bad she marks to ground an ferrets very very well I think a beddy greyhound to be a far better choice but as for beddy whippets yapping on the lamp I've not encountered this with mine

Mine was like that but I found her fine on the lamp just picked rabbits close in and we have smaller fields around here by and large. I lamped a spot this year that I thought nearly killed my speed merchant I have now it was so rough. I won't ever run him there again but my beddy/whippet would have been in her element in it.

• Like 1

nice wee dogs but very limited , so when it comes down to it there more handier dogs about to be had , i dont no were they fit in as a working dog at times some are terriers ish no pace , some whippety lite but no body , then some with the whippet greyhound blood seem to throw more decent , dogs , i would stick to dogs 20 inch plus and make sure there not rabbit rattlers crunching bones as both whippet and beddie can be bad for it , i like adog who can fetch a rabbit back easy not fighting to hold it and rattling the ribs of a rabbit ,to get a grip ,

cant see were they fit in as an allround hunting dog , more a fast terrrier busher type , i think the terrier greyhound whippet or grehound would be a better cross, any day

• Like 1

They certainly have there niche though I am going by the one I have ever had. She looked like some thing that spent too much time down the dog groomers and belonged to a little old lady which she did in the end lol. But I still had to lug 21 rabbits home one night which is good going for this area. I would have another tomorrow

15608670528_897611caf8_z.jpg

• Like 3

nice wee dogs but very limited , so when it comes down to it there more handier dogs about to be had , i dont no were they fit in as a working dog at times some are terriers ish no pace , some whippety lite but no body , then some with the whippet greyhound blood seem to throw more decent , dogs , i would stick to dogs 20 inch plus and make sure there not rabbit rattlers crunching bones as both whippet and beddie can be bad for it , i like adog who can fetch a rabbit back easy not fighting to hold it and rattling the ribs of a rabbit ,to get a grip ,

cant see were they fit in as an allround hunting dog , more a fast terrrier busher type , i think the terrier greyhound whippet or grehound would be a better cross, any day

So I take it you had yer eyes shut all day when you were out with mine then ! ?

hees doing fine but hees a 23 inch runing dog not a half cross 18 or 19 beddie whippet ,wouldnt give one house room ,i can remember when he was a pup i says heel be like a deerhound lol as he grew fast , bet your glad hees got abit size ,imagine having a wee18 inch yapper to go with the hancock lol you would be glad to get a rabbit ,let alone 3 or 4 , one day jake wil get a rabbit lol,poor bugger got flint minni , in front of him , and clyde now as hees coming into his own ,i remember fallon i had she was some rabbit dog and caut several hare roe she was just ahalf cross but alot difffrent in attitude , good bitch in her time , but compaired to lana mini never had the same acceleraition time flies ,

get the rug out lamping lol he maybe more suited to that , more space and ,hees no ferreting dog for bolting , rabbs ,any way im ging up again bring flinty boy and rug lol

and ille promise not to winde you up lol

Edited by fluff

ps when you bought flint the guy said he was a beddie lurcher cross whippet greyhound , he has certanly got whippet greyhound in him and a touch of beddie thats for sure ,

must be hybriid vigour ,just a pity tye was to old and long gone , would had been in his element up there ,he was more in the mould of lana minni dont take prisoner attitude ,every one chased like its there last at times ,

never saw collie lurchers like them nowadays ,would be good to see

Edited by fluff

You mean Flint, an no, the Dam was 1/2 cross whippet bedd and the sire was racing whippet.

And leave the rug alone, he works like a demon on the lamp, which is what he`s for. Too busy looking for Roe to pay attention to ferrets ! lol.

• 7 months later...

I run a3/4.bred a rabbits worst nightmare purpose bred dog I yet to see a whippet better than this dog ran all over the country moorland flatland sheepfields always bags up any one don't agree come see for yourself fetch your lamp dogs see how they fair I'll go rabbit for rabbit see what happens hate excuses wife fed dog got a knock so if you're looking to come crab the dog you will.be eating your words a few have with.there bigger lamp dogs and get a lesson in rabbit control blue dog style cheers Troter.

post-52492-0-99497100-1471579783.jpg

Edited by troter58
  • Like 2

I run a3/4.bred a rabbits worst nightmare purpose bred dog I yet to see a whippet better than this dog ran all over the country moorland flatland sheepfields always bags up any one don't agree come see for yourself fetch your lamp dogs see how they fair I'll go rabbit for rabbit see what happens hate excuses wife fed dog got a knock so if you're looking to come crab the dog you will.be eating your words a few have with.there bigger lamp dogs and get a lesson in rabbit control blue dog style cheers Troter.post-52492-0-53173900-1471578478_thumb.jpg