Bedlington Whippets?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My lot of half x beddlington whippets, alot of people under estimate these little dogs and can have quite a shock when they see them out doing there job, i cant speak for every one and all dogs are di

I think the main reason some people dont like beddy whips especially first xs is because of useless show beddys and useless show whippets are being bred into the working stock and because people just

My 3/4 whippet 1/4 Beddy, still got a good coat and excellent feet even though only a 1/4 Beddy.

Posted Images

Got a whippet and a 1st cross beddy whippet, can't say I'd chose either again but if I had to i'd have to say the whippet. The Beddys coat isn't a plus, hard mouthed, non retriever, yaps, and extremely stubborn. I'm sure there are some good ones about but I would bet there are a lot more good whippets, 3/4 cross is probably a much better dog IMO

Edited by Jekyll

I've a small fluffy running dog. He is allegedly a bedlington - whippet - greyhound. He hunts up like a hound, lacks speed, yaps and has a mouth like a rat trap.

I have a lot of fun with him. I have taken him all over Europe and he will run anything on any ground. I wouldn't change him.

• Like 1

The one I had in my profile picture was a tiny thing. Wonderful temperament absolute pleasure to be around and a great worker. 21 rabbits on her own one night which was good for this neck of the woods and her size. She slept on the foot of the bed that night. If my next dog is like her I would be one happy chap

• Like 2

I hope so, I've just put a deposit down a 1st gen Whippet X Beddy. It's coming from good working stock and has been bred for the owner to have a pup. I'll post some updates in the coming months.

I hope so, I've just put a deposit down a 1st gen Whippet X Beddy. It's coming from good working stock and has been bred for the owner to have a pup. I'll post some updates in the coming months.

you wont be dissapointed mate they are little ninjas
  • Like 3

I know folk say the beddy gives a bit of coat.. but what a silly sacrifice of pure raw speed...once you cross a whippet with any terrier the edge has gone...maybe a whippet/grey beddy but never a beddy whippet IMO..a pure whippet will be a lot better..

I would disagree when you say " A pure whippet would be alot better" for out and out speed of course a whippet is better but a proper working bedlington terrier adds a bit more than just coat they also add a strong mouth, stamina, bone strength overall hardiness and most of all a bit of fire in there bellys. Dont get me wrong Im a big fan of pure whippets and theres always good and bad in all types of dog but I wouldnt say either one was better than the other just different and which ever suits your needs.
  • Like 5

I think the main reason some people dont like beddy whips especially first xs is because of useless show beddys and useless show whippets are being bred into the working stock and because people just dont use them properly, if you let them mature and train them well before any type of work they will be sound and of course dont try and compare it to a 25/26 inch lurcher were talking a dog that stands between 18 and 22 inches on average and weighs less than a fart its not going to be as fast as a greyhound and its not going to have the power of a pitbull but if you want a little rabbiter for small fields thats intelligent, keen, hardy, agile as a fly and balls like watermelons! then your onto a winner. As for yapping thats usually down to starting them to young and frustrating the little dog because its to slow to catch still or slipping it into things its not really designed for, and if people say there slow its usually because there comparing it to something completly different or they've only seen fat useless ones !

• Like 12

I think the main reason some people dont like beddy whips especially first xs is because of useless show beddys and useless show whippets are being bred into the working stock and because people just dont use them properly, if you let them mature and train them well before any type of work they will be sound and of course dont try and compare it to a 25/26 inch lurcher were talking a dog that stands between 18 and 22 inches on average and weighs less than a fart its not going to be as fast as a greyhound and its not going to have the power of a pitbull but if you want a little rabbiter for small fields thats intelligent, keen, hardy, agile as a fly and balls like watermelons! then your onto a winner. As for yapping thats usually down to starting them to young and frustrating the little dog because its to slow to catch still or slipping it into things its not really designed for, and if people say there slow its usually because there comparing it to something completly different or they've only seen fat useless ones !

totally agree with you! Also I belive the yapping is do with an unfit dog and frustration and being started too young! I didn't start my first x till he was 14 months and he's never made a yapp put mileage into him to get him as fit as I can to the bunnies I run him on- he's bang on for me!
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

hardest thing these days is to find a proper working Bedlington, most are show bred and don't have the working qualities anymore, if my Bitch wasn't in whelp i would be looking to buy a bedlington greyhound i have always wanted one