Guinea Fowl

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

Im looking to get a few Guinea Fowl in a realease pen in the wood pretty soon to make things a little funner :gunsmilie: How will they take to the wild, as in perching,flying from predators etc.

Anyone got any experiences with these birdies feel free to blabber on :thumbs:

Im looking to get a few Guinea Fowl in a realease pen in the wood pretty soon to make things a little funner :gunsmilie: How will they take to the wild, as in perching,flying from predators etc.

Anyone got any experiences with these birdies feel free to blabber on :thumbs:

they always go up to roost first and have a natural instinct to avoid predators,.they are very good flyers and if there are any houses nearby they will make for them ,........... then the complaints start :doh:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

As I think I might have told ye before, Lloyd; Mr Pinker had some down inside his own (fox proof fenced) laying pens area. They'd all vanished within a week of me getting there ~ Nothing to do with me! I saw them clattering over the fence when we first visited the laying pen area. Then, within a few days, I was commenting on how we just didn't see them any more. Far as I know; No bugger ever did again either! Bloody things.

But don't let that stop ye. Friend of mine, up in Scotland, keeps and breeds tons of the buggers. They just get along with her chickens and appear to be no trouble at all.

I'm going to get some, eventually. Just because they amuse me. But I'll likely keep them in a secure and covered pen, see? Couple of perfect looking stands of trees here for them. But, I suspect, they'd be like geese are said to be? Provide them with what ever ye like and they'll still just obstinantly do what ever it is They choose to do.

Anyway, I look foreward to hearing of ye own experiences with them. I might learn some more then :yes:

Had them at a shoot my old man used to run... unfortunatly they were a complete waste of time :angry: They were easy enought to keep to an area and feed hoppers keep them in but whenever you beat the ground through on a shoot day they just fligh up and sit in the trees... they wouldn't go over the guns at all :no::wallbash: We ended up shooting them out the trees on the beaters day :whistling:

lloyd, as far as i know g,foul were used not for there sporting potential but as security, i would say they will spot mr fox quicker than a pheashant 95% of the time, keepers used there early preator alarm system to warn there dumb ass poults something was on the hunt for lunch... every one i know that used them just treated them like the pheashants

Guest little_lloyd

I rang the nearest poulty centre up about six, there a fiver each!!

Should be a bit fun anyway ive built them a pen of there own in the woods with a bit of cover and going to build a few corrugated iron shelters to keep them warm and dry in the best of our lovely brittish weather 8)

Ill probaly keep them in the pen for a few weeks so they know where they are and do a dogining in routine to keep them in check. Oh i can just see them in my boss garden :haha: I think theyll be on the giblet line very soon if thats the case :laugh:

I hope theres a laugh to be had with these magnifisent birdies and i will keep you all updated on there arrival this weekend!!

Edited by little_lloyd

Just as a foot note to this topic .IT IS AGAINST THE LAW TO KNOWINGLY RELEASE NON INDIGENOUS GAME BIRDS INTO THE WILD .The pheasant as we know it ,the English ring neck ,the scandinavian ,the american michigan blue etc ,the french red leg and the English partridge are all termed as indigenous now and can be put to wood legally .Any other breed of pheasant eg reeves ,golden ,lady amiherst[spelling] cannot be released and this includes guinea fowl .I'm not saying dont do it just be aware .

Guest craggers2k6
I rang the nearest poulty centre up about six, there a fiver each!!

Should be a bit fun anyway ive built them a pen of there own in the woods with a bit of cover and going to build a few corrugated iron shelters to keep them warm and dry in the best of our lovely brittish weather 8)

Ill probaly keep them in the pen for a few weeks so they know where they are and do a dogining in routine to keep them in check. Oh i can just see them in my boss garden :haha: I think theyll be on the giblet line very soon if thats the case :laugh:

I hope theres a laugh to be had with these magnifisent birdies and i will keep you all updated on there arrival this weekend!!

go to poultry auctions £2 a pice

Guest little_lloyd

Right ok everythings ready for the first batch of four on Sat.

Now i need your opinions, Shall i clip there wings when i uncrate them in the pen so they can get used to where they are? Or if mr fox manages to get in the pen how would they get away?

Comon ideas people!!!!!

Guest little_lloyd
Right ok everythings ready for the first batch of four on Sat.

Now i need your opinions, Shall i clip there wings when i uncrate them in the pen so they can get used to where they are? Or if mr fox manages to get in the pen how would they get away?

Comon ideas people!!!!!

I think you've answered your own question there.

:yes::yes::yes:

The only problem with not clipping wings is they buggering off and never to be seen agian :angry::doh:

A keeper mate of mine has some, and some peacocks, peafowl as well, he is sick of them climbing all over his roof and shitting on the kennels and annoying the dogs, I think he would be happy to get rid of them, if you look back through the classifieds there is some pics and a post if your interested :thumbs:

Guest little_lloyd
A keeper mate of mine has some, and some peacocks, peafowl as well, he is sick of them climbing all over his roof and shitting on the kennels and annoying the dogs, I think he would be happy to get rid of them, if you look back through the classifieds there is some pics and a post if your interested :thumbs:

Whers your keeper mate to?

Interesting point Foxdropper would that count on your own land though.

Theres a lass keeps em where i live they roost in the hedgerow and she dont lose many if any at all to foxs they seem well aware and a tad noisy at times.

Own land as well mate .No problem with keeping them about the farmstead ,its the wood release that is illegal now .