The Recent Ratting Outing

Last Thursday we had the pleasure of a days ratting on a farm where i do the terrier work .I was stuck for terriers as it was a midweeker but a post on here put me in touch with a couple of lads and the day was arranged.Met them at 8.45 near to the farm and by 9 we were there.The farmer had in mind to pull a small shed first which surprised me as its been usual to do it last as theres not much to the pulling nor is there many rats under it ,its usually left to last when the dogs are slower and sore .The two guest lads used their dogs here as too many can be counterproductive i find on a small shed .Steve had a pack of Bedlingtons and Paul brought two lurchers and a choc Pat.After the shed was pulled i jumped in the digger and shifted the muck left behind to allow rats to bolt and dogs to do their thing .Killed 60 odd here in under 15 minutes. Good start.

Onto the next shed a bigger shed and better prospects here by all the rat trade about the edges .Took the farm workers a bit of time to get the shed moving but as soon as it was sliding we started digging the muck and it was clear assumptions were right .Throwing dead rats clear we soon amassed a good pile .We turned it over until the digger was free and stood back as a mate drove it to shift muck.It was apparent that we would be on for 300 plus here with two more sheds to go .As the sheds are pulled ,some of the dogs stay underneath killing rats that are shifted .We counted a good 50 underneath the shed that we could see with definately more deeper under ..The count was now at 478.The next shed was much the same as the last with 352 killed .Brought the 60 up from the small shed and layed them out for a pic which i think youll all agree is pretty impressive .890 from 3 sheds.The dog work was first class ,we only lost 3 that i saw get under a fence and into a ditch behind us ,breeding stock you could say lol.

By now it was nearly 4pm and the farmer asked if i wanted to do the last shed.Asked the lads and checked the dogs over .We decided to do the last one and after putting a few dogs away due to injury ,age we drove to the last shed which was the other end of the farm .

Luckily ,as they started pulling the shed it was apparent that a drinker had been leaking and the numbers would be fewer the dogs being mostly tired by now.However the numbers started building steadily even before we dug it over with many rats bolting out to the sides .The dogs showing that tiredness was just a state of body and not mind .I was impressed with both sets of visitors dogs as they had never seen numbers like this before .We never picked up any rats from here but a rough count as they died brought the tally to 1032 ,our new record which will be hard to beat here i think .

SAM_1351.jpg

The bag before the 60 were added

SAM_1350.jpg

and after .890 head of vermin with 15 assorted dogs .Final tally of 1032 ,happy days.

cracking job done there, well done dogs and all

Well done lads must have been a busy day . All the so called Rats that Plummer said he caught in his books and he never had a picture like that. I like bit of ratting but I've never seen that many caught lads, well done .