Bushing Boar

Had a great time in Hungary recently, a few days digging, a few days driven hunting, in the beating line on the boar drives. Unlacedgecko, put together a great article about it if you want a more detailed read, but heres a few pics of some of the dogs that were out bushing boar to guns and baying up/catching any wounded.

This is a Visla x Jagd terrier. Not pictured is a daughter out of this bitch, the sire was some street mongrel, but the younger one was a double of its mother, only in a chocolate brown instead of black.This bitch liked to bay a boar up, was short to medium range, and was a rather loose bay dog, keeping a good distance of her boar.

DSC_0488_zps97741e49.jpg

Some form of Teckel cross.

DSC_0487_zpsed3cd479.jpg

Pair of (c**ts) I mean, fox terriers.

DSC_0485_zpsaefe7399.jpg

Random terrier sort

DSC_0484_zps7bda06c4.jpg

Teckel

DSC_0483_zpsd06e1e77.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lunar's first solo boar 'find' happened to be a big tusker, that opened her shoulder up, and left a deep hole into the muscle, needing instant stitching   She will generally hunt close in, within

Had a great time in Hungary recently, a few days digging, a few days driven hunting, in the beating line on the boar drives. Unlacedgecko, put together a great article about it if you want a more deta

The red deer are bigger than the highland ones Im used too   The hills are all managed hardwoods. For timber and driven shooting, it seems a good system, though very long-term turnover.   Some

Teckel / Jagd terrier cross, perhaps... the owner wasnt too sure. I didnt see this one in action. Most of the terrier and teckel's were yappy, driving dogs. Hunting away not too far in front. Plenty of boar were put up and hunted a short way. They didnt stick to the boar for very long.

DSC_0480_zps17c35ff6.jpg

DSC_0476_zpsc6c10676.jpg

ULgecko's 'Clyde'. Very keen dog, will turn a paw to most wildlife. At one point he hunted a herd of red hinds a kilometer back over. He was in the action as we caught a marten (as was the pointer and about 8 terriers lol)

DSC_0478_zps145da3dd.jpg

DSC_0491_zpsa29f3d9f.jpg

• Like 4

The red deer are bigger than the highland ones Im used too

DSC_0495_zps3a9beda8.jpg

The hills are all managed hardwoods. For timber and driven shooting, it seems a good system, though very long-term turnover.

DSC_0355_zps9085fefa.jpg

Some areas of re-gen were very dense, you were crawling along boar tracks hoping not to have one heading your way haha

DSC_0348_zpsbc0d1554.jpg

DSC_0368_zps07c6dd41.jpg

DSC_0347_zps69dc911b.jpg

• Like 7

DSC_0371_zpse771dd71.jpg

Lunar's first solo boar 'find' happened to be a big tusker, that opened her shoulder up, and left a deep hole into the muscle, needing instant stitching

DSC_0350_zpsf2fd189c.jpg

She will generally hunt close in, within 100 yards, sometimes a bit more in woodland, but she 'checks in' regularly, and will go out to 2 km, when on the trail of game, I usually run her with a gps system. Im pleased with her general skills, bird work, retrieve, deer work, and also I hunt some rabbit and hare with her. I have a hope that with a bit more work, she will soon learn how to handle a nasty male boar.

I was a bit gutted that the first boar she found gave her a hiding, but she seemed to take it ok, and was keen to get back at them, I held her back on the lead for a bit, but then ULGecko's dogs had a boar caught and the boar had chased ULG, I let her go and join in the catch, and though keen to help, she had reverted into a baying style, which suits me. Her leg is now fully healed, and she is raring to go again, hopefully get her some action over the coming week.

This is the one that the pack caught.

DSC_0500_zps324d5d16.jpg

The digging was good crack too.

Good hunting :thumbs:

DnN

Edited by dogs-n-natives
  • Like 8

Looks like fun mate, nice photos.

We bushed out a tusker today, was a little emotional :laugh:

Funny enough when we went to aber on thursday,missus remarked she couldn't understand how the forest of dean boar hadn't spread to Monmouth side of the wye.

I know one was seen swimming the wye,and they were up round the narth when they were first released.

F of D Redneck... Yeah the visla cross did look a lot like a small doberman for sure. I'll see if I took one of the daughter.

Cheers for the comments folks, I still need to work on my camera skills lol missed pretty much all the action.

Sounds like you lads have a few about, if you ever fancy a few extra helpers, for 'flushing to the gun' etc... give us a call.

DnN

[="forest of dean redneck" post="3531534" timestamp="1391336034"

Funny enough when we went to aber on thursday,missus remarked she couldn't understand how the forest of dean boar hadn't spread to Monmouth side of the wye.

I know one was seen swimming the wye,and they were up round the narth when they were first released.

You would be surprised how far they have spread,.... There's a farm in walking distance from me having some trouble off them lol