Longnet Making Advice

borderboy

ask if its a shiney finish twisted nylon as ive found on most z twist nylon you will have to double knot it to stop slip knots from happening. try going for a spun nylon or a spun poly, much better IMO :thumbs:

is there anyone you could reccomend for some spun nylon/poly...? also is there any particular size i should look for...?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 1/4 inch mesh is good for rats but no good for rabbits.

i think you mean 4 1/2 inch mesh!

if your passing information around like sweets, make sure its correct, :doh:

By my own reckoning then M C is right in saying that it is 2 1/4" mesh - nets are measured knot to knot, not the full diamond. If I am wrong, then so are generations of net makers, particularly from the families of Dorset, and those boys knew a thing or two about net making . . . :whistling:

As for a supplier of spun poly - try Engel in Germany. 20/18 would be my choice for a long net personally

But then, what do I know??

OTC

why make a 6z nylon net, you can buy them cheaply. I have a hundred yard old style 2 1/2 inch hemp net, which is fine after Christmas, but before lets too many through. a 50 yard 2 1/4 hemp net, which is excellent and only 100 yds of net in it, "Ed Cook recommends about 150 yds I think". A100 yard 2 1/8 6z nylon. I have others too. If I was you, I'd make a 50 yard 2 1/4 hemp net, using 4 ply hemp. Put a hundred yards of net pulled tight in it and it's a killer. Mine is 14 mesh wide, Ed Cook I believe uses 12. Complete confidence is hard to come by, but I have it in that net. No bounce offs.

to make a 100yrd working net(200yrds of netting) you will need approx 2kgs of twine.

OTC, i think i was quoted as saying something that was infact said by whitbyrich.

i allways quote a nets mesh size by its full mesh length, not the mesh gage used to gain this full mesh.

youve just got to love this netting game havent you? :thumbs:

1 bananna.....2 bananna.......3 bananna............... :laugh:

ONLY KIDDING :thumbs:

i know the distance between my hook in the wall and where i run out of space to be roughly 60 rows, when i hit the wall i count off 50rows and tie a piece of bright twine around the whole row of meshes. this keeps it tidy and at a quick count up of the bits of twine i know how many more rows to do, hope this helps :thumbs:

good luck with your net :thumbs:

Start of by making a gate net first,this will give you a better idea of what your doing. fasten 10yrds of cord or thin rope up to either end of a room or garage or outside if you dont mind freezing to death.make sure its at chest hieght or a bit higher,this will help you when your net starts taking shape.Start knitting your first row,for example 150meshes,along your cord.get to the end of your cord with your last mesh,drop down and knit a row back,this will give you your first full mesh.if you start your first row of meshes at 150 you will finnish your net at 150,providing you drop down and make a side mesh after every row,if you cut your needle off and join up to the mesh below,your net will taper inwards.when your efforts are starting to look like a net count your side meshes you"ll need about 15 side meshes down.when your finnished you should have a net thats 150mesh-10yds wide- 15 mesh deep net! hope this helps. :big_boss: