Pricing Mole Trapping Jobs Up

How do you lads go about pricing mole jobs up ?, do you charge per mole caught or per trap set ? Or just a daily/hourly rate ?.

My mate used to control the moles for the local school a few years ago and he charged them £5 per mole, the sly f****r used to freeze them and take them back out the day before he went to set the traps again, those same moles must of earned him a small fortune lol.

The reason I asked is because one of the farms I do the terrier work on asked if I could get rid of some moles on his neighbours farm, but he told me to charge him properly as he won't let anyone dig his earths...lol

I don't want to overcharge or undercharge but I don't know what would be the going rate, It's probably impossible to overcharge a farmer anyway as all the ones I know still live in the sixties as far as prices are concerned lol, but I just want to know what I should be charging minimum, pm if you prefer.

My pal charged by the mole, now he charges by the acre..

If you do by the mole you should add your travel expenses if its a bit of a drive..

He got loads of permission with this too.. He gave discount if he got the rights for vermin control..

You presumably know what you need to earn per hour, so just charge that to start with.

Once you start to get an idea how many moles there are, and how long it will take to catch them on any specific site, then you can start to work out your moles-per-hour rate and then charge per mole (if you still want to).

So, a good mole catcher can either charge less and get more work, or just earn more… It really is that simple.

If you don’t mind me saying; this is real page one, beginner’s how to run a business stuff.

Its a touchy subject this,I charge £5 a mole but I dont take anything on too far from home,so travel is not a major issue,and I di it more as a favour to farmers,but if you are travelling and making a living from it, £5 a mole is certainly not enough,and if you are doing it on small farms,alot wont pay anymore than that,its a tough one really MATT the RAT is the man he makes his living from it,and alot could be learned from him,he did pass comment last yr on here about charging for mole work it would be wise to do a search for it,

You presumably know what you need to earn per hour, so just charge that to start with.

Once you start to get an idea how many moles there are, and how long it will take to catch them on any specific site, then you can start to work out your moles-per-hour rate and then charge per mole (if you still want to).

So, a good mole catcher can either charge less and get more work, or just earn more… It really is that simple.

If you don’t mind me saying; this is real page one, beginner’s how to run a business stuff.

I know what I can earn per hour and catching moles just wouldn't cut it, I just fancy giving it a go with the intension of trying to get the digging perm on a neighbouring farm I have.

At the minute he won't let us dig on there but in time he might change his mind, if he did I would sort the moles out for free as there not at epidemic levels.

The reason I asked how much is the going rate is because I haven't a clue and I don't want to look like a greedy c**t or a muppet that will sort them out for peanuts with no real reward at the end of it.

I charge £5 a mole plus 25p a mile traveling but WILL be putting my prices up a wee bit soon i know a lot of lads charge £10 a mole so if i was you some where between the two

Your quite right ! hope it works out for you 'perthshire'.

I wont go below £10 per mole,on farms,but i have a situation at the moment, where theres this one silage field (only)to be done over the whole place.It sits higher than the surrounding ground,which is only scrub,and rough grazing.Its less than an acre,and i have had about nine moles ,off it.Now ,what with the excessive rainfall( and other factors),that we have had up here,i fully expect other moles,to keep trickling in,over the coming months! so im just currently thinking about what its going to cost him,to keep this relatively small field clear ! It is possible that i may need to be a bit more flexible,as regards to pricing,in the end ,with this one !

Don't bother ringing around other pest controllers; that would just tell you what they charge which may not relate to what you need to charge to run a business and earn a wage.

Work out what you need to earn and what it's going to cost you and then work out what the potential for that area is.

As others have already said; there's lots of posts in this section on this subject; one in the last few days. Do a search and have a read.

Get loads of chancers or their Mrs wasting my time ringing up to try and find out what to charge because they haven't the brain to work it out for their self, easy to catch them out, then I tell them to jog on.

What did people do to start out in business before the advent of the internet? Oh yes, we got out there and learnt by our mistakes. You had two choices, you were either clever enough to make a go of it or you weren't.

• Like 3