Coloured Canaries ..... Talk To Me, Someone!

:boogy: I'm going out of my f**king mind here! I'm like a man in traction ~ with a steaming boner! All I can think about is coloured canaries! And I can't do shit about it!

I've just spent the entire day, scrubbing out my trays, with wire wool. Then, I steam cleaned the cages.

Everything's completely spic and span now. Ready for the black gloss tomorrow. .......... Hang about ....!

How the f**k to keep three hairy Dogs off two sticky cages which are completely blocking up the very room they have to rush through some ten times a day?! :icon_eek:

Shit. That's just not going to happen, is it? Okay. Change of plan. I'll have to call Pat and ask him for a bit of muscle. Sorted! Just rung him. He'll be along tomorrow :D

Okay. So, tomorrow, we shift the cages into the store room and I'll paint them in there. Don't know if the light will be much good. But, I'll do what I can.

Have to drag all those traps out of there too. Make room for me and the cages. It'll fill another day then.

Meanwhile; I've just ordered a copy of " Coloured, Type and Song Canaries: A Complete Guide ". Because I simply need to scratch this f**king itch!

I'm all over Google and am becoming more insatiable, the more I look into these birds. But, it's all a bit one sided and lonely.

I'd love to have a dynamic going with anyone else who has actual knowledge / experience of these birds.

Failing that, even suggestions of where else, on Google, I may go to seek more input / outlet?

FFS, guys; I'm a canary owning 'virgin'. I haven't got me one yet. Ye remember what that was like? Before ye got ye hands on ye first one? All ye could do was think about birds! :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You will shortly be addicted Pete wait till ya start breeding you won't look back

what i was told when i first started keeping them last year was that intensive birds have feathers that have no white at all and the non intensive have a white frosting to the edges giving a more dilu

found this one on the canary breeders page on facebook , says its a red/black cobalt x onyx

Posted Images

hi , i have red factors and red/black cobalt plus greens and yellows non recessive white and mosaics , have you been on the ccba homepage ( canary colour breeders association ) they have lots of examples of lipochrome and melanin canaries plus lots of useful info , my breeding cages are painted sky blue inside and show up the birds lovely hope this helps , atb simon

• Like 1

:icon_eek: Simon; Pull up a chair, mate! Fancy a drink? You're just the sort of guy I've been looking for!

Red/Black Cobalt?! Talk Durrdyy to me! :laugh: Oh, wow! Got any shots ye can lash up here, please?

Show some of these people what I'm so fired up about. And add to my own mental vision of what's out there. I'm still completely unaware of probably even half the stuff out there.

Right; Off to look at this CCBA!

Thanks for the input! :good:

Taz; :notworthy: My Man! Thanks!

" dimorphism " ? Ye could start by telling me wtf That means, please?

I'm just looking at the " Melanin " birds, on CCBA now. Again, I'm just looking at fascinating birds. I, as yet, have no idea what the terms mean :icon_redface:

first pic is a intensive red/black cobalt hen with a non intensive red factor cock , 2nd pic intensive red factor hen and third pic pair of greens and my non intensive yellow ivory cock bird . will take more pics later now they are in there indoor cages

K, Simon; So, " Intensive ", from what I'm seeing, appears to denote a bird that's just about burning up with it's colour. Non Intensive has a less ..... well; Intense colour. I guess that makes sense.

And what's the craic here, please? Do some people just prefer a less in ye face shade? Or, are these Non Intense birds bred for use in the production of other types?

I'm seeing how all this mix and match pairing can lead to given percentages of other types. All completely mind boggling yet.

:laugh: Taz; Can't ye see it in me, mate? I'm already as addicted as any crack head. I'm just searching for my first damn pipe! :D

In a past life, I kept and bred amphibians. There's probably a bit more to those f**kers than there is canaries. But, now I want to taste the canary cake. Lot easier. Lot quicker. Just that; There's so very many out there! :icon_eek:

I'm seeing all these gorgeous types and am constantly wondering where I'll ever source the right pair. Or what types I'd need to pair, to produce a degree of X type. (I already see that A x B may get ye a percentage of C, D and E chicks? Head wreck! But, what fun! :D)

God. And all this started because I remembered a Blue canary I had ~ for a week (Had to get rid of it, due to a sudden change of circumstance) almost forty years ago! I set out to find another one. And now look at me! :laugh:

Stealths; How ironic is that? Someone puts up a film about Red's and Mosaic's. You show me it.

Know what? Red's I find pretty. But, I've known about them since for ever and they're one above yellow birds, in my radar.

Mosaic Red Clear's? They're an infernally pretty bird and are on my bucket list. I wouldn't mind knocking out a few of them :yes:

But, the crazy bit is ~ and I've already been pulled up on this, else where: All I really had eyes for, in that film, was the Dark birds, hopping about in the back ground, that no one's got the time of day for! :icon_eek:

I'm on this trip because of my wish for a 'Blue' and a 'Fawn' bird. But, now I've seen shit like 'White Ground Topaz'?! Hooked!!! :boogy:

what i was told when i first started keeping them last year was that intensive birds have feathers that have no white at all and the non intensive have a white frosting to the edges giving a more dilute colour , and that 2 intensive birds should not be paired as it will result in the chicks having the lethal gene and only around 75% of the chicks would survive , but im still learning and try to read everything i can find ( not that i understand it all )

• Like 2