i ended up soaking it in meths for a few weeks then after washing it i hung it to dry for a few days and its turned out really nice... no hair loss :). my next thing to try is a squirrel fur tanned for some mits if u have any tips or hints about tanning that would b aprechiated. im after a proper tan not alum/salt pickle as ive bn told the pickle will still rot if it gets wet as as the mits r for outdoor use thats no good lol.. was looking at egg tanning thanks

Never tried eggs. But I've heard a lot of ingredients with it. You're basically removing the oils from the skin, and replacing them with 'organ oils' e.g. a brain tan uses the oils from the brain. So the idea with eggs is that you're using the yoke along with other ingredients, e.g. soap flakes, to load the skin up with new oils. I'll check some of my books and get back to you with recipes. But bare in mind I've not tried anything but brain tanning.

To brain tan, you just get the brain, mash it up in a blender with some lukewarm water, then paint it onto the underside (non-hairy) of the hide. A fox will do with 1 coat of tanning solution, but 3-5 is always better to do. Be careful not to use hot water, as this will cook the brain. Then you're just going to look silly rubbing brain flavour angel delight on to the hide. You could even get away with cold water, but warm water opens the pores a little and allows the solution to seep into the skin better.

Once you've tanned it, you can then smoke it like you would smoke meat. But just be careful not to cook the skin. Lots of smoke, relatively low temperature, and you're sorted. I know of guys that don't bother with the smoking part and they just air-dry it.

I'm planning on making a few jackets with some foxes that I have, and will post up on here. Just need a deer to make the outer layer. Fur on the inside for warmth.

One word of note, pop the furs into a washing machine (low temp of course. You don't want to cook the skin) using Borax to clean them up and remove any smells. Then a quick spin in the tumble dryer (low temp also) to dry it off. I have to do this late at night at the local laundrette because the wife would chop off my balls!

• Like 1