• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, im a little puzzled with a metal detecting find I had over the weekend... I was about to pack in detecting for the day and go home for an afterrnoon shooting when I found a rusty old knife about 9

That wood looks like meranti or sapele to me, same family as mahogany just a lot less expensive. hence it's use on firedoors. Genuine mahogany is just too expensive to use on fire doors.   TC

:0) watch this space....now is the time I need to try and get things done correctly. .fingers crossed I make a good job... :0)

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided to forget about using the original wood I had in mind as a work coleague has got me a couple of pieces of zebrano! Apparently its a nice wood to use! :0)

As the name implies zebrano is a striped wood I have used it for a couple of crooks not bad to work with and a cracking finsh when polished.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4nJfi-_7bd0tdQ7_ZRJNmREkYog2chrcP9v3BnkcwBxPhginz

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, here's the final product. Hobble sent me the pics over yesterday and I must say, it looks amazing!!

Definitely a good call to grind a proper edge onto it, it looks fit for anything now, but with some lovely patterning and age to the blade. wonderful!

Handle makeing:

20140220_084117_resized_1_zps95ff9773.jp

20140220_084057_resized_1_zpse9ecf956.jp

20140220_204211_resized_1_zps745082ac.jp

And oiled up and fastened:

20140222_181030_resized_1_zps5d89dd65.jp

20140222_180942_resized_1_zpsaaaf4c24.jp

20140222_181001_resized_1_zps74b5c1d7.jp

20140222_180738_resized_1_zpse2d35ded.jp

A really lovely job there Hobble. I wonder if those screw heads might start to rub a bit on the hand after prolonged use? Might be worth recessing them into the handle a bit if you can. Love the oiling though, brings out the wood beautifully. Top work!

Jim

Edited by WoodsmanJim
  • Like 1

Well..its all finished now and for a while I was starting to have the feeling of 'what can I do now' ? :0)

Its been interesting and thoroughly enjoyable taking on this small project.. many thanks to you jim for being a part of this with me on the pics side of things, you have been a great help and if I could I would shake your hand buddy.

• Like 1