Ferel Cats With A .22Lr Or 12G

interesting thread lads was just out of curiosity would a point black shot be less powerful as would not have long to pick up energy as it would obviously reach impact instant? im guessing not as a chrono would calculate the power and they are registered from pretty much same distance?

A point blank shot is fine as the projectile is already at its optimum speed.

Shot placement is more important depending on the tool used.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was sitting in garden one day the the old boy next door says can i borrow a trap lad? yeh no worrie what for? a cat he says.....well thats a bit of a grey area i said.....no i just want to trap it a

Excellent, now we have a keeper that takes shots at over 300 yards at quarry he cant properly identify . . . . . . with a weapon apparently incapable of killing the intended quarry (or in this case a

An air rifle is ample at a matter of inches.

What is the LD injection chris? And can the average joe get access to it?

I'm also assuming that the use of cage combs corner any caged moggy whilst you administer or are we talking a more hands on approach?

I personally didn't administer an injection. It was done by a vet. I'm not sure what the AI was, as different ones have been used, but it's basically an overdose of anesthetic.

I can hear the cash register, going kerching, so I'll elaborate.

I have never dealt with feral cats, for free. My pest management solutions cost the client, or they kept whatever the problem species was.

Taking Tiddles to the vets, was factored into the price, as I believe that this is one of those sensitive jobs that requires an extra level of care when dealing with the customer, and any potential failing in PR. Explaining that you're going to send Tiddles to Rainbow Bridge, via a trained practitioner of veterinary medicine, is a much easier pill to swallow than dropping him in a water trough, or sticking 38gr of lead behind his ear.

People want to see humane treatment. Even if a rimfire round will do the job quicker than an LD, it's all about perception. Perception is reality to most people in the world today.

Anyone dealing with feral cats on an amateur basis, shouldn't really be discussing it on an open forum IMHO. They know what works and what doesn't and it sure as hell shouldn't be broadcast.

interesting thread lads was just out of curiosity would a point black shot be less powerful as would not have long to pick up energy as it would obviously reach impact instant? im guessing not as a chrono would calculate the power and they are registered from pretty much same distance?

A point blank shot is fine as the projectile is already at its optimum speed.

Shot placement is more important depending on the tool used.

thought so thanks for clearing up mate just reading through the thread and was curious just in general thats all

The farm Dan is talking about is away from any neighbours and anyone that does live in an audible range is used to us shooting with 12 bores anyway so it doesn't make a difference what legal quarry is being shot as if anyone can even hear they are non the wiser as to whether we are shooting game or clays.

The only person around is the farmer who wants the job doing so if hes happy to have them shot then that's obviously the best option.

Also not having a go but regarding the open forum, we all know the tree huggers that browse this site are going to be just as annoyed with any quarry being shot whether its a rat, fox or cute fluffy Tiddles :)

• Like 1

Cheers Billy. I'm not trying to cause conflict and im by no means an amateur pest controller.

I put this topic across to help me get the right tool for the job as ive never delt with ferel cats. And trust me these are not a cute tiddles, get to close to these cats and your in trouble. I have a pet cat and understand why people dont like shooting them, ive also had pet rabbits and rats dosnt mean i or others think its wrong to shoot them.

I really dont agree with drowning them, and a .22lr will defo be quicker and less stressful for the animal than trapping it driving to the vets and then handling it to inject it.

In my eyes the only difference between shooting a rabbit and a ferel cat is I dont fancy a cat stew that evening! :|

They are both pests and need controlling so where better to discuss methods than a hunting forum?

All that comment will do is stop people asking questions and then you'll have more dimwits running around shooting foxes with air rifles etc

I went on a organised feral cat shoot in the 60s , it was in north Lincs on a shoot run by a copper we had lots of beaters ,dogs and even two blokes on hosses , there was a little terrier there that kept catching cats and killing them ,the copper was a big brutal b*****d who made people behave themselves in the pubs in Scunthorpe wanted to shoot the dog as it was spoiling the morning.

The farm Dan is talking about is away from any neighbours and anyone that does live in an audible range is used to us shooting with 12 bores anyway so it doesn't make a difference what legal quarry is being shot as if anyone can even hear they are non the wiser as to whether we are shooting game or clays.

The only person around is the farmer who wants the job doing so if hes happy to have them shot then that's obviously the best option.

Also not having a go but regarding the open forum, we all know the tree huggers that browse this site are going to be just as annoyed with any quarry being shot whether its a rat, fox or cute fluffy Tiddles :)

well said mate i joined this forum to gain knowledge and better my self for the field no matter how much you know you can never know enough.

theres too many people on here traeating like facebook just waiting to bitch at each other we are outdoors people we share the same kinda of interest and will the goverment treating us like puppets everyday telling what to do and when to do it soon enough were gonna need as many people on our side as possible well done pal

• Like 1

.22lr will do nicely but I've seen it done around farms with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle. Try to shoot the adults first as they are a little quicker to wise up and scarper if they see the younger ones shot-IF you get hassle from yoghurt knitting bunny huggers tell them that the cats are killing the Barn Owls-that should give them something to ponder.

What is the LD injection chris? And can the average joe get access to it?

I'm also assuming that the use of cage combs corner any caged moggy whilst you administer or are we talking a more hands on approach?

I personally didn't administer an injection. It was done by a vet. I'm not sure what the AI was, as different ones have been used, but it's basically an overdose of anesthetic.

I can hear the cash register, going kerching, so I'll elaborate.

My question was more out of interest chris than it ever becoming a cash cow. :laugh: I catch moles amongst other things so im loaded :laugh:

:thumbs:

.22lr will do nicely but I've seen it done around farms with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle. Try to shoot the adults first as they are a little quicker to wise up and scarper if they see the younger ones shot-IF you get hassle from yoghurt knitting bunny huggers tell them that the cats are killing the Barn Owls-that should give them something to ponder.

I don't think its as clear cut as that and do you have a population of barn owls in Shropshire? And can you prove that the cats are having an impact upon the wildlife?

I would suggest that provided all the boxes have been ticked then fill your boots. A 22lr is the tool for the job. Certainly not a sub 12 air rifle!!

Cheers Billy. I'm not trying to cause conflict and im by no means an amateur pest controller.

I put this topic across to help me get the right tool for the job as ive never delt with ferel cats. And trust me these are not a cute tiddles, get to close to these cats and your in trouble. I have a pet cat and understand why people dont like shooting them, ive also had pet rabbits and rats dosnt mean i or others think its wrong to shoot them.

I really dont agree with drowning them, and a .22lr will defo be quicker and less stressful for the animal than trapping it driving to the vets and then handling it to inject it.

Well that would be illegal

just had a browse through the web and apparantly a cat is domesticated animal as is a dog and it states that it is only legal to shoot them if they are causing a threat to us or livestock, dont if this will help or not maybe try the rspca for some advice but ring anon,

wouldnt want you getting in trouble mate thats all seems quite a touchy subject online and the biggest argument arises is proving there ferral although you know first hand. a tree huggers argument would be "i have 20 cats i dont give em collars because of strangulation risks and after a day messing around in the fields there looked roughed up bla bla bla......

• Like 1

I think this is being turned into a bit of a mountain so to speak. Feral cats are very common on farms, a farmer gets a few cats, a few more stray from neighbouring farms, they all live in the barns and breed uncontrolled, before you know it the place is moving with them! Just deal with them professionaly and humanely, rimfire and 12 bore at sensible ranges is more than adequate. If you KNOW they are feral, just crack on. If you are unsure, make yourself sure or forget about it.

• Like 1

I was asked to clear several barns a few year's ago and feck using a rimmy or shotgun in a barn.. :icon_eek: ..i think my ear's would be bleeding if i had used the scatter gun and i definitely don't like the idea of them rimmy bullet's winging round the barn while i'm stood in there..

I shot 9 in total over the space of a week all head shot and all killed clean with a .177 12ft/lb S410 at around 25yrd's.. :thumbs:

Edited to add i have also PTS two of my friend's old aged cat's with the same rifle..with a single shot to the base of the scull..clean and quick.. :thumbs:

Edited by Millet
  • Like 1