Ferel Cats With A .22Lr Or 12G

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was sitting in garden one day the the old boy next door says can i borrow a trap lad? yeh no worrie what for? a cat he says.....well thats a bit of a grey area i said.....no i just want to trap it a

Excellent, now we have a keeper that takes shots at over 300 yards at quarry he cant properly identify . . . . . . with a weapon apparently incapable of killing the intended quarry (or in this case a

An air rifle is ample at a matter of inches.

Hi WF, I was thinking the .22lr would be a little dodgy shooting a cat In a cage I was worried about ricochet. Don't get me wrong I want to be humane and people who know me will say I'd preety much shoot anything providing I could cleanly dispatch it. If I can use the .22lr without chance of ricochet I'd be more than happy to ;)

Atb

Dan

is it illegal to trap cats in a built up residential area but ok to do it on farm land due to protection of game birds?

I think for the OPs sake we need to be very clear what we're talking about here,

Feral cats are the only feline species that can be trapped and killed on a general license and you need to be damn sure they are feral and not someone else's property as with a cat, regardless of where it is and what it may be killing is still owned by someone and as a result it is an offence to destroy it. There is no law, unlike dogs, for domestic cats worrying or killing stock.

As for dispatching them in a cage trap, always preferred the .410 with a 2" shell at point blank. Reduces the ricochet risk to minimal and is unlikely to damage the trap,

SS :thumbs:

is it illegal to trap cats in a built up residential area but ok to do it on farm land due to protection of game birds?

I think for the OPs sake we need to be very clear what we're talking about here,

Feral cats are the only feline species that can be trapped and killed on a general license and you need to be damn sure they are feral and not someone else's property as with a cat, regardless of where it is and what it may be killing is still owned by someone and as a result it is an offence to destroy it. There is no law, unlike dogs, for domestic cats worrying or killing stock.

As for dispatching them in a cage trap, always preferred the .410 with a 2" shell at point blank. Reduces the ricochet risk to minimal and is unlikely to damage the trap,

SS :thumbs:

cheers for that ss..............my next door neighbor has 14 cats so was was hoping for a different outcome lol

Really??

By dispatch do you actually mean removing the head in a very loud and trap damaging sort of way?

I was actually taking the piss. Shooting a cat, in a live trap, is going to ensure you get all the wrong attention. Location, ricochet, trap damage, etc. Point blank with a .22LR, or 12G, is overkill IMHO. Air rifle will do the job but again when they find out you're that guy you'll pretty much blackball yourself, same as the guys that don't back-fill digs.

Live trap. Removal from the site, followed by lethal injection. Did it for years. Still do. Don't know of a better way.

Really??

By dispatch do you actually mean removing the head in a very loud and trap damaging sort of way?

I was actually taking the piss. Shooting a cat, in a live trap, is going to ensure you get all the wrong attention. Location, ricochet, trap damage, etc. Point blank with a .22LR, or 12G, is overkill IMHO. Air rifle will do the job but again when they find out you're that guy you'll pretty much blackball yourself, same as the guys that don't back-fill digs.

Live trap. Removal from the site, followed by lethal injection. Did it for years. Still do. Don't know of a better way.

Fair enough I suspected you must have been. Mind you if you are removing them from site you can dispatch however you want without the neighbors being any the wiser and a .22rf bullet costs pence

Just to clear this up a bit.

If you're asking what the best calibre is, for feral cats, on a public hunting forum, I feel you're already bringing unnecessary attention to what you need to be doing.

Especially as muppets, like me, get to read and comment on it.

Joe Public doesn't give a shit about cockroaches, and mice, but when you start talking about taking Tiddles, to the afterlife, you're already calling in a f**k tonne of negative PR.

We all know what works but some jobs really don't need to be broadcasted...

Chris out...

What is the LD injection chris? And can the average joe get access to it?

I'm also assuming that the use of cage combs corner any caged moggy whilst you administer or are we talking a more hands on approach?

interesting thread lads was just out of curiosity would a point black shot be less powerful as would not have long to pick up energy as it would obviously reach impact instant? im guessing not as a chrono would calculate the power and they are registered from pretty much same distance?