No Longer A Virgin!

A fresh morning awaiting the arrival of my transport to the countryside to watch the sun rise and the morning dew begin to rise of the lush green fields. Upon arrival at our destination I sit with eager anticipation of my first time.

As we enter the gateway and scan around we notice we are not alone for some 150-200yds in front of us are 3 inquisitive faces starring right back. Stopped in our tracks eyeball to eyeball like a standoff In a western who will make the first move......The rifle was stealthily shouldered, the safety 'click' off, then 'Crack'as the sound reverberated around me as the Roe deer dropped instantly where it stood...... and that was it I witnessed my first deer kill and my stalking virginity was gone. We continued over the permission for a further 2 hours and sighted a further 10 deer on our travels taking the total to 13 for 2.5hrs hunting on a glorious sun filled morning...... After been shown how to perform the gralloch it was time to return home for a late breakfast.

Well if this is the life of THE STALKER he's a lucky man and let's hope i get more invites to continue my education.

Many thanks pal you were good hope we can do it again sometime. Lol

i am a dog man through and through mate but i had the opertunity to go for a deer stalk and thought what the hell i will go for a look and see what its all about. the lad who took me had been pointing out distances to me in the past explaining many times that if there was a deer stood over by so and so i could kill it from here and always thought yeah right.

well we managed to find a herd of fallow stags. they were stood a couple of hundred yards away. anyway he takes the shot and one drops and the others run alittle then stand a stare. they soon fecked of with me jumping up and down shouting you hit one you hit one lol.

when we was walking to the deer and i was saying the noise sounded like when i shot a rabbit in the guts so i was adamant he shot it in the stomach(my lack of experience) he said that wasnt right and that he had actually shot just behind the ear and had head shot it.(again i thought yeah right not bloody likely at that distance)

and feck me he had shot it exactly where he said i was shakeing with excitment what a fecking buzz and i never even shot the thing. its a trip out i dont think i will ever forget i couldnt believe it. i was amazed with how accurate riffles are.

Not a very responsible shot at that distance IMO,could have been a ittle off or the Deer could move just a Fraction, and you would have another Fallow waiting to die with a shot off Jaw Starving to Death!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So its okay for the OP to shoot a roe at 150-200 yards... but wrong for trigger2 the dogman, to shoot fallow at 200yrds?

Either way i dont see the sporting side of pulling a trigger at any distance :no:

'WHEN it goes tits up'

You seem confident that he will f**k up.

Maybe he has a dog to track an injured animal?

Every one cocks up at some time , anyone who has never missed doesn't shoot much .The trouble with messing up head shots is they can run miles...regardless if you have a dog to trail them or not , shoot the jaw there isn't a lot of blood & they just disappear to die a slow death . Be a couple of inches out with a chest shot it will still be fatal .Head & neck shots are fine at close range off a good rest or bipod , but out more than 100m I will always front box ..I know plenty of people who go out much further but its not for me ..

'WHEN it goes tits up'

Every one cocks up at some time , anyone who has never missed doesn't shoot much .The trouble with messing up head shots is they can run miles...regardless if you have a dog to trail them or not , shoot the jaw there isn't a lot of blood & they just disappear to die a slow death . Be a couple of inches out with a chest shot it will still be fatal .Head & neck shots are fine at close range off a good rest or bipod , but out more than 100m I will always front box ..I know plenty of people who go out much further but its not for me ..

That seems a more sensible reply. An explanation.

I think 'the stalker' seems to have a bee in his bonnet about something. Instead of offering advice & explanation, he came across rather abrupt, personally i think because trigger2 mentioned he was a lurcherman.

Ive came across lurcher hating stalkers before. Face to face, in the field. In thick fog, and IMO nobody should of been even thinking about shooting a high powred rifle in those conditions.

'WHEN it goes tits up'

I think 'the stalker' seems to have a bee in his bonnet about something. Instead of offering advice & explanation, he came across rather abrupt, personally i think because trigger2 mentioned he was a lurcherman.

Ive came across lurcher hating stalkers before. Face to face, in the field. In thick fog, and IMO nobody should of been even thinking about shooting a high powred rifle in those conditions.

You shouldn't be thinking of shooting anything in thick fog ! high powered , low powered any powered ...as for lurcher hating stalkers that's the very last thing I could ever be described as (I know you never ment me ) I love a long dog ... :thumbs:

'WHEN it goes tits up'

You shouldn't be thinking of shooting anything in thick fog ! high powered , low powered any powered ...as for lurcher hating stalkers that's the very last thing I could ever be described as (I know you never ment me ) I love a long dog ... :thumbs:

:thumbs: cant beat the sight of a lurcher closing in :yes:

Best practice and most humane shot is to the chest........ Don't take my word for it see the attachment. ....... nobody is perfect EVERYBODY has an off day.

Nobody has put lurchers down We all love our sport guys we just choose to do it differently. ..... In most if not all cases chest/vitals are the best placed shot.