CHOCOLATE LABRADORS

I must confess I am slightly biased as the labs I own are dark yellow and fox red but we have recently aquired a black addition from Ireland :icon_eek: but the fox reds have the edge for me.

I have seen a few working chocolate labs but for me they seem to lack the drive and when you look at the pedigrees the chocolate colouring seems mainly concentrated round the show lines rather than the working lines, however there has been a recent change and I even heard a chocolate has now won a field trial :notworthy: and even the halsteads (drakeshead) have chocolate labs in their kennels trying to introduce more working lines, and gain more popularity in the field for them, which can't be a bad thing.

This is my lab dog I bred, called Rogan (celtic for red haired)

Nicola

Rogan.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Labradors, of any colour, are in my opinion the best retreivers and family pets. my family has had labs all my life and we have always used them for duck shooting. we even trained one of them to follow our directions (as in 'go left' 'go right' straight) and so fourth. Labradors are the only breed in existance where you can mate a cream with a black, and the dam can throw chocolate. not to mention the pet side to a labrador. they dont come any more faithful. the photo below is of our current lab 'King'. he's 9 this year and has been the best gundog weve had. he now knows to sit beside us and wait/watch the ducks drop and if he misses one we direct him to it. hope you end up getting a lab mate, the only thing you may not like is the increase in the dog food bill.

the old saying 'as full as a labradors dish' wasn't made for nothing.

:victory:

MMmmm you need to be very careful when breeding for chocolate. NEVER ever use a yellow to produce chocolate, NO responsible breeder will do this. Resulting chocs will have poor pigment and eye colour and the yellows will have brown/pale pigment and pale eyes. blacks of course can only have black pigment, but their eyes are often pale. To breed good chocs, use black to black breeding with both parents carrying choc, then outcross to a choc from time to time, never introduce yellow to a choclate breeding program.

Thats a lovely fella in the pic, typifies the breed.

Dawn the above post of yours confused me.......first a good dog cant be a bad colour and chocolates are just as capable as a yellow or black , then why on earth cant you mate a chocolate to a yellow??

so fecking what if their eye's are pale....we want dogs to hunt and bring home dinner not to win rosettes and stand still and look pretty......introducing yellow into a chocolate gene pool may make it have lighter coloured eye's , but wont cause its legs to fall off or introduce any genetic illnesses or make you or it fat :icon_eek:

exactly the same attitude as when i wanted a stud for my blue roan cocker and was told by two breed clubs, you cant use a solid stud dog on a roaned bitch??? WTF??

I must confess I am slightly biased as the labs I own are dark yellow and fox red but we have recently aquired a black addition from Ireland :icon_eek: but the fox reds have the edge for me.

I have seen a few working chocolate labs but for me they seem to lack the drive and when you look at the pedigrees the chocolate colouring seems mainly concentrated round the show lines rather than the working lines, however there has been a recent change and I even heard a chocolate has now won a field trial :notworthy: and even the halsteads (drakeshead) have chocolate labs in their kennels trying to introduce more working lines, and gain more popularity in the field for them, which can't be a bad thing.

This is my lab dog I bred, called Rogan (celtic for red haired)

Nicola

Rogan.jpg

Have to say Nicola, what a lovely looking dog you have. Thats just what we'll be looking for in a few months time hopefully, All i have to do is convince the other half it doesn't have to be chocolate :wallbash: ... Although she really likes the look of your one so you never know!!!! :thumbs:

Cheers SR

Dawn the above post of yours confused me.......first a good dog cant be a bad colour and chocolates are just as capable as a yellow or black , then why on earth cant you mate a chocolate to a yellow??

so fecking what if their eye's are pale....we want dogs to hunt and bring home dinner not to win rosettes and stand still and look pretty......introducing yellow into a chocolate gene pool may make it have lighter coloured eye's , but wont cause its legs to fall off or introduce any genetic illnesses or make you or it fat :icon_eek:

exactly the same attitude as when i wanted a stud for my blue roan cocker and was told by two breed clubs, you cant use a solid stud dog on a roaned bitch??? WTF??

When breeding dogs Compo you should do it to the best of your ability, not anything to anything. Colour genetics in dogs can breed bad faults, yellow eyes and pale pigment has in several cases led to skin cancers around lids on very poor pigmented yellows. It is also known they are much more prone to "sunburning" and can develop skin tumours on their noses, many owners of such dogs claim they get "freckles" too. Similar things happen to white Boxers ctc.. There is NO shortage of available and SUITABLE dogs to use in a breed like the Labrador, and genuine breeder wont let you use their dogs on unsuited bitches. This is called responsible breeding. You may not think it matters, but if you ended up with colour related problems, I think you might. :yes:

post-299-1195555919_thumb.jpg

This is a very poor pigmented yellow, completely wrong and unfortunately may suffer as a result. Breeders who do not research the breed they are breeding first are usually responsible for these, and now, as DNA profiling is here and relatively cheap, NO dogs should be bred in this manner and then possibly suffer as a result. Not much use his legs working Compo if his nose has rotted off with skin cancer!

dawn.

pic from wikipeadia.

When breeding dogs Compo you should do it to the best of your ability, not anything to anything. Colour genetics in dogs can breed bad faults, yellow eyes and pale pigment has in several cases led to skin cancers around lids on very poor pigmented yellows. It is also known they are much more prone to "sunburning" and can develop skin tumours on their noses, many owners of such dogs claim they get "freckles" too. Similar things happen to white Boxers ctc.. There is NO shortage of available and SUITABLE dogs to use in a breed like the Labrador, and genuine breeder wont let you use their dogs on unsuited bitches. This is called responsible breeding. You may not think it matters, but if you ended up with colour related problems, I think you might. :yes:

post-299-1195555919_thumb.jpg

This is a very poor pigmented yellow, completely wrong and unfortunately may suffer as a result. Breeders who do not research the breed they are breeding first are usually responsible for these, and now, as DNA profiling is here and relatively cheap, NO dogs should be bred in this manner and then possibly suffer as a result. Not much use his legs working Compo if his nose has rotted off with skin cancer!

dawn.

pic from wikipeadia.

better explained that time.........the skin cancer risk etc...makes it understandable......however i thought you were showing the same kind of stupid reasoning that two cocker clubs showed when i was looking for a stud for my cocker bitch...she had had two previous litters to a solid chocolate and had produced very healthy and varied coloured litters....when i spoke to one chap he told me that i hadn't used that coloured stud dog and that no stud dog owner would allow it..............suffice to say all it came down to was they didn't want white blazes on their solid coloured show dogs...plenty of working cockers have blazes and white toes etc....anyway her next mating was with a solid coloured dog owned by a very knowledgable field trial /shooting person....who laughed at the reasoning shown by the two breed clubs, they are effectively creating two seperate breeds within a sub-section of a breed anyway....making an even smaller gene pool and creating even more genetic problems :big_boss:

quote name='Dawn B' post='348406' date='Nov 21 2007, 08:36 PM']Dont start me on Cockers Compo!! :wallbash: Another totally split breed, gimme the working ones any time. Personally I prefer the solid coloured ones anyway!

mines not working bred...although she works...and is blue roan (white with black flecks) when she had pups with the solid chocolate (solid liver) she had solid blacks,solid chocolates (some had small white blazes) blue and orange roan, a golden and also chocolate roan

one of my chocolate dogs has since been to crufts...others are pets and we still get e-mails and phone call's with updates even 3 years on now

below is the lad who is a crufts show dog

post-865-1195758453_thumb.jpg

post-865-1195758492_thumb.jpg

Edited by COMPO

Well said Dawn B as breeding dog's can be hard to put together to compensate each other & some buyer's dont have a clue of the lengths we go to to do so & bring up pup's.Im no breeder but breed my own dog thus i hope to get a stud with thing's in place & have seen working abilaty thus to get a good dog for me.I know a lad how used a stud with no test's hip's/eyes & dident look at pedigree's just through them together then used cows milk to bring up pups from 2weeks old on & got ok money for them with the excuse of to slow my bitch down.jUst seen another bitch bred at 2yrs old & never seen a game bird so the owner knows nowt of the dogs good & bad's.crossing breeds to is bad like lab/pointer etc as you get the good & bad of the breeds mixing & i dont know the longer term effects this will have on some breeds.

Thanks V-max, very valid points. SOme people just dont care.

Compo.

LIKE HIM!!! I do like the roans, but I just prefer solid colours, I also like black and tans and chocolate and tans. I dont have any problem with breeding any accepted colours if they dont cause problems with health etc.. I agree with what you said about the breeders you approached who refused you, PRATTS!