`air Rifle Scopes

hi guys im new to the forum and just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with setting my scope's up properly??,ill start with telling you the gun and scope's i own.

air arms s410f 2.2 carbine

nikko stirling laserking 4.5-14x50 scope

right the trouble i've got is is,i usually set my scopes up at about 30 yards pellet on pellet with the rifle at its sweet spot, of 170 bar the scope is a zoom scope with fixed parallax and have seen a couple of videos saying to set the scopes up with it at full zoom?? is there any reason for that?? and ive also noticed if i'm shooting something at say 15 yards with my scope's set to 30 yards everything i seem to aim at i miss im struggling to get use to them if im honest,my last setup was an s410 carbine with white tail classics on the philippine one's and i did not seem to get this problem,is there a certain way of setting zoom scopes up??just could do with finding out where im going wrong thats all Thanks in advance craig.

post-92735-0-56752000-1388836141_thumb.jpg

I think they say set zero on the highest mag because it makes it more precise? Could be wrong... When you set your zero at 30yards the pellet will have dropped slightly by that distance, the peak of the pellet will be around 20yards which is likely to be around a milldot above the cross hairs. Lads shooting .22 with normally set there zero around 25m not a lot of distance but enough to keep the pellet from rising to much and still hitting a 1inch target from 10m to 28m. Only other thing is to go out and try it on paper set to 30yard then get closer at 20yards and see where the pellet lands on the paper

• Like 1

One more thing. Unless you're using a fairly high-end scope there's a good chance that your zero will shift when you alter the mag.

Decide what magnification you like, zero with that and stick with it. If you need to change mag for any reason, re-check your zero.

• Like 2

One more thing. Unless you're using a fairly high-end scope there's a good chance that your zero will shift when you alter the mag.

Decide what magnification you like, zero with that and stick with it. If you need to change mag for any reason, re-check your zero.

this is something I would seriously never have given a thought!

with my hw97k/hawke sport hd combo I just leave it on 9x

its not the best scope in the world but seem to do the job :thumbs:

• Like 1

cleaned barrel, went out with the targets,and low and behold everything was spot on lol cant believe how much a dirty barrel was affecting my pellets,ive just not long since purchased the rifle, so thought id give it a clean before i went out, with the targets ,i guess that just shows you.

• Like 1