Owd Years Night.

Well it's got to be better than sitting in front of the tv watching fireworks or in a pub full of drunks :D

Back off out with Millet, Adam, Lil, Rudie & Boo.

Good conditions tonight, but very few rabbits out, we had to venture far and wide, into places we had not lamped before, indications showed the guys who do shooting at the same place had been out prior :(

Never mind we still had quite a good night, it was one of those mellow nights, all good spirits and good laughs.

Adam kindly took the Rude boy for me so we could take all the dogs out. He is a very driven dog, and very strong, i am not able to lamp the two of them on my own, it either means one stays at home or one waits in the car for his turn, this way all the dogs got out together.

The earlier disappointment at the first few empty fields turned into elation in fields we had never previously lamped. Dogs were on good form missing very few. We entered a new field and it was Rudies turn. Off he went and the rabbit turned then turned again and headed like a missile for the fence. Just as they went out of sight at the fence all we heard was a very loud horrible crash, followed by Rudies screams, then silence........unfortunately the angle of the fence and where i was standing, you could not see that the fence actually turned into a dry stone wall 3/4 of the way down the field. It seemed like an eternity i was running down the field, memories of 2 year prior when something similar happened and he ended up with 2 collapsed lungs and nearly died. Rudie finally appeared. He looked really shaken, back arched and shaking. I gave him a quick look over to make sure there were no immediate response injuries, then shone the lamp to see where he had connected with the wall, and there on the ground was the rabbit twitching, almost head, where i presume Rudie has crashed it into the wall. And blow me, didn't Rudie go to it, pick it up and bring it back to me...bless his little heart. :wub:

After about 2 mins he was back to pulling like a steam train...love or hate these dogs you have just got to admire their drive.

We went back to base then, with Rudie catching 9, Boo 8 and Lil 7. I decided to stay with Rudie to keep an eye on him whilst the lads went back out with Lil & Boo to get the numbers up to 30. His apparent injuries are a cut to his forehead, cut nose and bloodshot eye, if this is all he has, for the noise of the crash he has been one VERY lucky dog. I got the job of getting the fire going, then sat in the car with Rudie bopping about to the fab old tunes on Radio 2 :guitar:

The lads came back with another 7 rabbits for Lil and 2 for Boo so the final tally for the night was 33 :clapper:

post-57301-0-43832700-1388544152_thumb.jpg

I left at about 11.30pm for the 2hr drive home......This is where the lads brought in the new year :D

post-57301-0-56063800-1388544111_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

always good reading your posts moll nice way to see in the new year ..glad the dog was ok ..

Lucky dog moll. That's the dangers with lamping new ground, unforeseen dangers. My old bitch hit a 4x4 post years ago, same screaming she was holding her leg up, checked her over leg was fine, cut on

Happy new year, good you found enough for the dogs to run. I hope 2014 is a good one and the dogs stay injury free.

Posted Images

Lucky dog moll. That's the dangers with lamping new ground, unforeseen dangers. My old bitch hit a 4x4 post years ago, same screaming she was holding her leg up, checked her over leg was fine, cut on the chest, cut above eye and a bloodshot eye, gave her the once over clap, the wee slap on the arse & the "ach yer alright" and she was ready to rumble again. Looked where she had hit and the post was now out the ground. Hardy as feck are lurchers. Decent bag and have a good 2014 :thumbs:

• Like 2

⋎´✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•✫
..✫¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.✫
☻/ღ˚ •。* ˚✰˚★* 。ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ •
/▌*░H░A░P░P░Y░ - ░N░E░W░-░Y░E░A░R░
/ \ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚♥ 。✰˚* ˚
★ღ ˚ 。✰ •* 2014˚ ♥♥"

thanks for the write up moll hope hes going to be ok

• Like 1

always good reading your posts moll nice way to see in the new year ..glad the dog was ok ..

same here :thumbs: did you not loose your hair down over xmas etc and have few drinks then? ive eat as much as ive drank lol , got start walking it off now lol

• Like 1

I'm not a drinker Bird, i like wine with a good meal, but apart from that.....being out with the dogs and friends is my way of letting my hair down :D

Well actually i have to tie it up when out with the dogs cos it blows in my face and i cant see a thing :laugh:

happy new year moll. for a moement there i was thinking you hadnt had the best of starts with your hunting season for 2014 but all was good, the feeling that something bad has just happened to your dog is not one i would wish on anyone. but the feeling when they appear all well and good is one of the best ever.

its alot of emotions in a very short time. tidy enough bag aswell

edited to say i was writing this as you put your reply on moll. looks as though rudies new year hasnt gone aswell as it could hopefully hes up and running a.s.a.p

• Like 2
its alot of emotions in a very short time.

Spot on Trigger :thumbs:

Weirdly i had a bad feeling about Rudie before i even went Trigger, had a feeling he wasn't going to make it home. But shook it off a nonsense!

I do know Rudie is not going to retire gracefully at an old age from hunting, it's just the kind of dog he is and something i have accepted. But by god he is having, and providing me with loads of fun and a happy working life in the meantime.

its alot of emotions in a very short time.

Spot on Trigger :thumbs:

Weirdly i had a bad feeling about Rudie before i even went Trigger, had a feeling he wasn't going to make it home. But shook it off a nonsense!

I do know Rudie is not going to retire gracefully at an old age from hunting, it's just the kind of dog he is and something i have accepted. But by god he is having, and providing me with loads of fun and a happy working life in the meantime.

thats what you got him for and i bet he wouldnt want it any other way. :thumbs:

• Like 2