Is there many lads geting big numbers of woodcock when out shooting,reason i ask is i took the dogs for a ramble today after dinner more or less to walk of the dinner and put up 4 woodcock in a very small area,no gun with me but they were in a birch ditch about 20yds in width and about 150yds long,i usually would not see that many in a days shooting.

• Like 2

we're are seeing quite a few... couple a session getting shot.

Last year...

I went of a days walked woodcock shooting on the Isle of Bute, with three friends and a Guest 60 Y.O Frenchman, (Patrice) Joined us at the Island.

We tried to get him involved with us as much as he could, but his english and our french were limited.. so it was sign language and gestures.

Bute wasn't on form that day, all beit we covered a lot of ground.. Everyone managed a woodcock, apart from Patrice. At the last minute he shot one... I watched it hit the deck, We put a dozen... I shit you not... dogs on that bird and looked for an hour... It never materialised.. Patrice was distraught..

Just as were packed up for the day, we decided to give Patrice our woodcock, as a gesture, hunter to hunter...

The boy was seriously emotional about the whole thing... in tears, shaking everyone's hand frantically... At least we left him with a good impression of Scotland.

Agree with Gone to Earth... Something mystical about them

• Like 5

I've noticed it bad for snipe so bad this year. There one bird, hit or miss, that it's always good to see a few.

Might get a chance at one this morning though.

It depends on the area=land you shoot on,up your way Neil its nearly all grassland and tillage where as with me there is a lot of bog and marshy land teaming with snipe.There is one bit of wet-land just out the road from me and you could put a couple of 100 snipe up out of it +ducks of different types.