Help With Lurcher Retrieving

Hey guys im stuck at the moment i have a 6mnth border collie X lablurcher bitch, i don't know why but i cant get her to retrieve anything at all doesn't matter what toy,ball or bone i throw all she does is run till she get to it stops and looks as if to say there I've caught up and returns straight to me empty mouthed she never picks up at all, has anybody got any ideas as to what's going on with her and any tips to help get her retrieving

try little games of tug with your pup something to make it more of a game more enjoyable for her were she sees it as fun if you pm skycat of here im sure she will give you some very good advice on this and try and do it weres theres as little distraction for her as possible your garden or a alley way if you have one or some were quiet or you could do a search theres some very good advice on the subject good luck

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2

have you stopped the pup chewing mouthing or biting? some dogs take it too far and then hesitate to use there mouths. i wouldnt worry about it as dog is still young, have you tried using a ball or teddy on a rope or piece of string? try getting the dog excited and chasing it around using praise when the dogs grabs it, only actualy throwing it for a retreive once the pup is using its mouth. dont give up, keep at it, itll come good or ill eat my shorts

• Like 1

place the toy/ball in her mouth whilst sat on your kitchen floor...whilst she's hungry (post exercise) and you have her feed ready...get her to hold the toy, keep her head up by means of a finger jab under her muzzle....then give a command to drop (she'll pick-up on the release of tension)....reward her with a little scran by hand and repeat till you acheive 10 sec's holds and she tipples to the game....work it (over a fortnight) till your on minute holds and then slide your arse backwards a couple of yds with the grub readilly seen and ask for the toy....billy wong-billy chong.good luck.

once the pup will retrieve an object in a confined space (kitchen) and you move out to a bigger area (garden) dont hold the toy for more than a sec once it's retrieved, throw it again the very sec the retrieve is completed...keep the excitment on (if you stall you might find the pup stalling with equal correlation before completing the hand-over), two or three times and then shut the caper down leaving the pup wanting more. You'll cement that formula by repeating over 7 consecutive days..even if the pup looks to have well registered in the 2nd or 3rd..carry thru with the 7. You'll find a pup could/can completely revert to earlier shortcummings once out in the field (some context specific shit going on), a tennis court or one of them enclosed 5 a side type gaffs are ideal here (if she's blanking the toy then the area offers minium time to explore before she realises there's simply you and the toy for excitment/specially if you just simply sit still and wait till she's sniffed out the drum). A radio ain't the most exciting thing in the world..but it becomes a lot when you're in solitary..same with the pup and the toy/retrieve. Good luck.

ps..tennis court type enclosures are usually devoid of unwanted smells to distract your pup, feel free to use your own imagination to what's available to you.

Edited by oneredtrim