223 Reloading Bench Setup

Dicehorn on here said (I think) the rcbs one is a bit to aggressive for smaller calipers takes to much brass off.

I use a lee deburrer and im happy with the end results it gives just a nice chamfer.

I do mine in a drill with the lee case holder.

One bit of advice, dont bugger about getting all anal about seating depth, and how far off the lands you are, just set it to your load data, and use the superb Lee factory crimp die, your starting pressure will be very consistent then :thumbs: far more rifles than people ever imagine, like a jump to the rifling rather than jammed up tight a millionth of an inch away, factory ammo, even the most expensive, has quite a difference in seating depths, when measured with a comparator, and many many people blaze away year after year with it blissfully unaware, and put deer and foxes in the bag with it.

• Like 1

Do you guys weigh the case as well as the powder? What is the point in this? Dave1372 explains how the poi changed when he used two different make of brass, how would different cases do that? Even if both had exactly the same powder weight and exact same primer and bullet head?

Thanks.

I am still undecided as to which scale to get. Will I also need a trickler/dribbler? Will I need a powder measure like the lee perfect powder measure?

Thanks again

It's a fair point about the RCBS chamfer/deburring tool being aggressive, you have to be quite gentle with it.... As I found out all too quick! :icon_redface:

On that point, just to let you know I posted the Lee tool bits and the DVD's this morning, so they should be with you in a few days.

As for your question about brass cases, I presume it has to do with internal case capacity. The outside dimensions may be the same (more or less) for 2 different makes of brass. But if the thickness of the brass is more on one brand compared to the other, then the internal dimensions will be different with regard to volume. As stated, I'm a "newbie", but I would think that would make a difference to internal pressures, which can effect velocity and other more technical ballistic differences...

Having said all that, don't get carried away with all these things, as they will may very little difference if your targets are 300 yards away or less. I believe best possible consistencies from round to round are more for long range target shooting.....

I have a powder trickler, but started off by using a fired brass case and rolling it between my index finger and thumb.

But tricklers are a lot more precise and quicker....

atb

Jamie

Ok, thanks for popping the items in the post, greatly appreciated.

Do I need to get a powder measure and a powder scale? Or will one of the two suffice?

Thanks

Do u mean a scope and a scale?

U can make ur own scope very easily as gor a scale yes you must have one do reload .

Keep a eye on ebay the odd one comes up at good price.

No not sure if I mean scope. I mean one with a pot on top to hold powder, then it measures the powder, has a lever to pull down to empty the measuring chamber into either the funnel, the bullet or the dish for the scales. Lee make one called the Lee perfect powder measure.

I know I need scales but can I get away with just scales or do I need this thing to actually measure powder by quantity before weighing it.

Essentially I could use anything to tip the powder from the tub to the scales. A teaspoon, empty bullet case, lots of things would do, but would be very time consuming.

I'm wondering if a powder measure would be a worthwhile investment or just a waste?

Thanks

If ur wanting to get into other reloading calipers like 9mm a powder thrower would be beneficial to u.

But for highly accurate centerfire rounds its not a real essential and it wont save you that much time.

U can get lee powder scopes that will get u close to your weight then u just trickle a little more in until desired weight is reached.

As a newbie you should weigh all your loads, using a powder dispenser is not very accurate and you will need to check the load every few rounds depending on what make you buy. yes the case make can vary poi due to diff pressures but this will not affect you at this stage unless you are going to use ex-millitary brass, in which case you need to be very careful. lee dippers are excelent i would advise you get a set, but lee dies come with one. the factory crimp die is a great tool make sure you have one then you wont have to worry about OAL over and above whats in your book. hope this helps.