What's The Rules

theirs no rules to it....theirs a generally excepted rule that its all released before its respective season starts. how ever i always had a few pens of partriges out all season as call birds. and a shoot i know that shoots BIG days restocks at the start or december with brailed birds.

HAVEING to let birds go on the day of the shoot is something that is simply not on yanks and spannish may do it but we dont, any keeper who makes up excuses for it needs gone. keeping birds put is easy if you know how. we used to put 2,000 reds 2000 ducks and 14,000 pheasants down on just over 300acre and get VERY high returns on them as well as a few thou on rented bits of ground.

simple if you know how

14000 on 300 acre???? Seriously???

yup give or take a few thou depending on the days then 3 thou in the forestry and 3 thou down the road

edit to say...289acre on the top of the road and 77 at the bottom of the road so over 300 closer to 4.... 5 pens of 2 thou and 2 pens of 1200 the rest in lal pens

So thats 366 acres. now assuming you use woods / cover crops to drive the birds from, the 'home' woods must be your pens. In 366 acres these surely cant be much of a size so therefor smallish pens for such numbers.

Question :- How many people were employed to lift all the shit so the beaters / pickers up could walk through them ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

14000 on 300 acre???? Seriously???

There is some real pish spouted on this thread for sure In answer to socks question it is perfectly legal to have birds penned up, to,through and after the season be they pheasant or partridge, when

Sound's like the keeper has no idea what he's doing     Bird's should be released well before the shooting season starts if they are still penned they wont fly properly, they wont know where to r

• 2 weeks later...

In the 80s i worked on a place where chicken farming took on a whole new meaning .46,000 pheasants and 16,000 partridge on 17000 acres .The first drives of the year were met with waves of birds taking the leaves off the trees.Double gun days for invites with loaders taking cartridges from a tractor and trailer after every drive .It was said the speed loader was invented there .Couldnt drive round the internal estate roads without hitting birds in the truck .4000 of the pheasants were white with another 1000 approx being a mix of reeves ,lady amerhurst and red,orange golden with a bounty on them all.Combine that with the tips it was said the head keeper never touched a wage packet .Tips divided 60-40 lol.60 to the head and 40 between us 4 underkeepers .Used to hang back on a big day hoping to get picked for loader duties when a tip of 200 wasnt uncommen the equive to a fortnights wages. Vermin control was paramount though .The hunt were allowed on but the head took it as a personnel critism if they found in the park.lol .Not all the 17000 acres were shot over of course and tennents farms were dotted about but fox control was carried out all over whether they agreed or not lol.I can remember being sent to a tennis court just off piste with a tin of cymag because someone let slip a litter was spotted under an oak tree.Good days but could never happen now .

• Like 1

Glad to hear that. I would love to be able to afford to just do just guest days but I have to sell to afford to keep the shoots going. But nice to hear there are people with the same ideals. You must find it more pleasurable from being a commercial( not being rude) chicken farmer to a being able to have enough time to keeper properly. It should always be about sport .

I find it weird a 'keeper' uses the term 'chicken farmer' towards another keeper. How long have you been doing it and what numbers of birds? Sorry if I've misuse you saying it already.

. I used it defend. The over stocking and poor birds lab am acctually insulting chicken farmers than some of the cowboy shoots

In the 80s i worked on a place where chicken farming took on a whole new meaning .46,000 pheasants and 16,000 partridge on 17000 acres .The first drives of the year were met with waves of birds taking the leaves off the trees.Double gun days for invites with loaders taking cartridges from a tractor and trailer after every drive .It was said the speed loader was invented there .Couldnt drive round the internal estate roads without hitting birds in the truck .4000 of the pheasants were white with another 1000 approx being a mix of reeves ,lady amerhurst and red,orange golden with a bounty on them all.Combine that with the tips it was said the head keeper never touched a wage packet .Tips divided 60-40 lol.60 to the head and 40 between us 4 underkeepers .Used to hang back on a big day hoping to get picked for loader duties when a tip of 200 wasnt uncommen the equive to a fortnights wages. Vermin control was paramount though .The hunt were allowed on but the head took it as a personnel critism if they found in the park.lol .Not all the 17000 acres were shot over of course and tennents farms were dotted about but fox control was carried out all over whether they agreed or not lol.I can remember being sent to a tennis court just off piste with a tin of cymag because someone let slip a litter was spotted under an oak tree.Good days but could never happen now .

that only works out at about 3.5 birds per acre its a lot of birds but sounds like they had plenty of room mate

The thing is some people of privileged to fall in with the right people at an early age and learn off them. The estates i worked on were old school right or wrong it was about sport and the presentation of sport. We reared on site any one who has experience of from the laying pen to the game cart will know the work entailed , i respect any one who enters in to the way of life , my comment on chicken farmers is aimed at the unscrupulous shoots who think plonking a few thousand birds in pens feeding them then realising them filling up hoppers Then turning up twice a week is keepering , These days its more cost effective to use the services of game farms. Again no problem Its still hard work from release pen to the day when they fly , but lets have it right the ruination of shooting is the over stocking and the allmost. Conveyor belt like big commercial shoots. Big bags have allways attracted big money but usually went hand in hand with big estates with the land and woodland to produce big days , now we have the game crop boys am not knocking game crops great in the right situation and used in the right way a plus to any shoot , there are. Sites yes i use the word site were pheasant are shipped in dropped and driven over foreigners paying big bucks Keeper or chicken farmer ???????