17 Winchester Super Magnum

Do you do head shots or engine room deker?

I have no particular preference, and it will depend on the way the fox presents, if there is a shot that I am confident will stop it I will take it.

All those above were prone off the bipod as well, and a still night, you can deliver a HMR very accurately in those circumstances to a good distance!

:thumbs:

This one was around 100 yards and shot daytime, prone and bipod again, he stood there looking at me, the dark area on the top of his nose between his eyes was where the HMR went in, instant lights out!

post-10759-0-50650100-1386971353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL every reply to that I tried didn't sound right mate so I,ll just go with Born Hunter had a very similar experience off that valley

Look lets simplify this, if you have ground passed for a deer calibre rifle, (you can find out what if you ring and ask) you can apply for anything up to and including the calibre it is passed up to,

I could have had a lovely buck if only it was on season. Great looking head it had. Got home and spent an hour piecing it all up and into freezer already sized for meals. Had a casserole, some steaks

Posted Images

Yeah I tend to only shoot for a clean head shot, iv let a few foxes run for not having the perfect conditions for a perfect shot.

If I'd had a .243 or similar I'd have take the shot.

I think the .17 WSM will make not a great deal to range but give a good old whack

As is so often the case we are drifting away from the topic.

I have an Open mind about the 17WSM, when I first heard about it I thought perhaps it could take the place of my HMR and WMR, who knows, perhaps it might.

My problem is I shoot a lot of different quarry in a lot of different environments for lots of different clients, and I need a good selection to bring the best tools to the party, do I need the extra grunt of a Hornet or WSM, well I haven't found a need yet, but never say never!

I have a circa 1000ft lb gap between my WMR and .223, but I have simply never found a need for something between the two.

I see the point, my question is going to be more so licensing. Are existing .17 RF owners going to be allowed to one for one or will it be a care of a new variation completely. Putting the need calibre into a less attractive light

I may not be following that, I have seen/got .22RF slots but not .17RF slots, my .17 is HMR in every listing. A 1 for 1 relates to the slot, not calibre, it does not have to be like for like, you can change a FAC air rifle for a .308 on a 1 for 1 variation (if they let you have it). :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

So your saying I 'd have to get another permission letter to get a.17 WSM to shoot it on the land I use my .17 HMR on?

I am getting even more confused.

Not at all, I don't see why you would need to get another permission letter at all, just tell them you want a 1 for 1 and the WSM is better suited than your HMR (as an example). If you want it in addition to a HMR/WMR simply tell them longer range rabbit/fox.

I believe you come under Wilts, they are a funny lot, but you should not need permission slips all over the place, one will normally suffice for Wilts!

Lol wilts have been great to be fair.

I was told to change from .17 HMR to .17 hornet for example I'd need a new permission slip

WHY?

I had a serious debate and had to educate their last Chief Constable some years ago, why do you need a new permission slip, are they suggesting you do not have a requirement for .17Hornet, have you got a very restrictive quarry list on your permission, what is wrong with a Hornet if you are shooting fox?

I'm off, heading to a Sports ground/fitness centre/bar, shuts at 11 tonight, I shoot from 1 hour after closing to 07.00 clearing rabbit mainly from their massive sports fields, they have an annoying habit of crapping in the centre circles and goal mouths!

The only problem I can see if they wanted to be funny, (as they sometimes do) say you have an area of land passed up to .17 hmr (obviously this is for closed cert holders) and you asked for the more powerful .17wsm then would they then make a farce out of going and re checking the land for that calibre? in the same way that ground passed for .22 rf would have to be re checked for .17 hmr.

I was told to change from .17 HMR to .17 hornet for example I'd need a new permission slip

That shouldn't be the case, depending on what permission slip you're using.

A permission slip shouldn't specify the calibre only that you have been granted permission by the landowner to shoot on the ground for X species and with permission to bring a guest (if needed).

I understand that if it says that and once granted therefore, and unless revoked, you have permission for any calibre suitable for the given species subject to the land being approved for that calibre and the police adding it to your certificate. Only if you add further species do you need a new permission in order to add the new species.

Thus if shooting the same species and you want a new calibre, you just need permission for the land from the landowner initially ie the ONCE. After that, its up to the police to clear you to use any additional calibres either by Good Reason and / or by passing the land for the calibre if it isn't already approved.

If your permission slip specifies the calibres to be used, then I suggest looking up a different permission slip that does not state the calibres and using that instead.

Edited by Alsone

Yeah iv kind of shot myself in the foot there.

I got my land owners to stipulate the round, on advice from the police. However since gaining my FAC iv gained more permissions where by the police didn't ask what calibre just cleared me to shoot there.

Why is it all so complicated?

By the way, got a email from CZ today.

"Dear Sir,

I have to say that currently we are involved in so many projects that at least for the next 15 months there are no intentions

to make rifle in .17 WSM cal.

Yours faithfully,

MILAN KUBELE

MARKETING"

That shouldn't be the case, depending on what permission slip you're using.

A permission slip shouldn't specify the calibre only that you have been granted permission by the landowner to shoot on the ground for X species and with permission to bring a guest (if needed).

I understand that if it says that and once granted therefore, and unless revoked, you have permission for any calibre suitable for the given species subject to the land being approved for that calibre and the police adding it to your certificate. Only if you add further species do you need a new permission in order to add the new species.

Thus if shooting the same species and you want a new calibre, you just need permission for the land from the landowner initially ie the ONCE. After that, its up to the police to clear you to use any additional calibres either by Good Reason and / or by passing the land for the calibre if it isn't already approved.

If your permission slip specifies the calibres to be used, then I suggest looking up a different permission slip that does not state the calibres and using that instead.

You are correct, you should not need a further permission slip unless the landowner initially stated a particular calibre, the point I am getting at is if your land is passed for .22 rf and .17 hmr. then you are possibly going to have to get it re checked for .17wsm, as you would if you applied for say a .22 hornet on that ground?