17 Winchester Super Magnum

Does anybody know anything about this caliber 17 Winchester super magnum. looks really interesting but i cant find any information about what manufacturers are producing rifles in this caliber and if they are available in the UK. whats the ammo availability and price? has anybody tried this round out?

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL every reply to that I tried didn't sound right mate so I,ll just go with Born Hunter had a very similar experience off that valley

Look lets simplify this, if you have ground passed for a deer calibre rifle, (you can find out what if you ring and ask) you can apply for anything up to and including the calibre it is passed up to,

I could have had a lovely buck if only it was on season. Great looking head it had. Got home and spent an hour piecing it all up and into freezer already sized for meals. Had a casserole, some steaks

Posted Images

savage are the firearms manufacturer that teamed up winchester to make the round, looks like they are the only people doing the rifles right now.

suggested bullet prices of £13 for a box of 20 if ammo prices aren't cheap enough it will make the 17 hornet a better buy, for anyone that likes to shoot light and very fast rounds, and reloadable.

17hmr 2500ft/s 250ft lb

17 wsm 3000ft/s 399ft lb

17 hornet 3515ft/s 548ft lb

17 fireball 4037ft/s 724ft lb

17 rem 4436ft/s 874ft lb

all 20gr bullets.

no uk dates yet, i'd be going centrefire, and reloading.

Not available in the UK, very unlikely we will see any until next summer (at the earliest), they were originally rumoured to be on our shores summer 2013.

Only manufacturers info available really so far, check US shooting sites for any consumer led info.

I have no idea where irishnut got his prices but if the ammo is £13 for 20 (65p each :hmm:) as suggested above they will not sell in the UK.

Deker I got that figure from an American forum. I thought it was rather expensive too. Even 1/2 that price isn't great.

Can easily get surplus or reload 223 for less or very similar money.

I tried to get confirmation of the price from cabelas etc but couldn't find any stock

Deker I got that figure from an American forum. I thought it was rather expensive too. Even 1/2 that price isn't great.

Can easily get surplus or reload 223 for less or very similar money.

I tried to get confirmation of the price from cabelas etc but couldn't find any stock

Indeed, many centrefire calibres offer factory ammo less than that, and certainly on the reloading side even more can be produced for 65p.

My recollection, about a year ago when this calibre first came to our attention was the ammo would only be slightly more than HMR! :hmm: :hmm:

I think you'll find its $15 for 50 rounds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900193917/winchester-varmint-high-velocity-ammunition-17-winchester-super-magnum-20-grain-hornady-v-max

That's cheap - 30p a round.

Not yet available in the UK but it the USA they're having trouble getting ammo stocks. Make of that what you will.

Here's one clip at ranges out to 264 yds vs prairie dogs:

Not available in the UK, very unlikely we will see any until next summer (at the earliest), they were originally rumoured to be on our shores summer 2013.

Only manufacturers info available really so far, check US shooting sites for any consumer led info.

I have no idea where irishnut got his prices but if the ammo is £13 for 20 (65p each :hmm:) as suggested above they will not sell in the UK.

Haha not considering you can reload the vastly superior .22 hornet for about 20 pence a bang they wont, another "trendy" must have cartridge, that will be difficult to give away in a few years.

Haha not considering you can reload the vastly superior .22 hornet for about 20 pence a bang they wont, another "trendy" must have cartridge, that will be difficult to give away in a few years.

Don't know about that. Price is the same as HMR and HMR is still popular.

The majority of people don't reload and if you don't then its a cheap round compared to Hornet which comes in at around £40 per 50 (£20 for 25 : http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/downloads/AmmoPriceList.pdf)

= 3 times the price of WSM.

If anything I could potentially see this replacing HMR. Same ammo costs and significantly faster, with more energy and more range. That spells danger for HMR.

In the USA .17 WSM is in short supply so its obviously taken off and its launching in Aus in early 2014.

Only time will tell, but you can't write it off just yet as it looks to be a cracking little cartridge if they can just get the ammo inconsistencies sorted out and some other manufacturers to chamber the round. I reckon in Europe a CZ WSM would fly off the shelves.

I think 20p may be a little conservative, sensibly 25-30p and for a lot 30-40p, just the same the point is made! :thumbs::yes:

There is more flexibility in the Hornet (17 or .22) if you want to reload, but of course not everyone does, and factory .17 Hornet price is in the order of 80p I understand!

The 17WSM sounds interesting on the face of it, but performance and pricing need to be right, and I'm not convinced it will be, time will tell and I'm keeping an open mind!

I love my 17hmr but its not really a necessary rifle. Doesn't actually fill any gap that wasn't already filled by better round.

22lr-rabbits

22 hornet- 100yrds+ rabbits and fox.

17hmr does as much damage as 22 hornet on rabbits but lacks the punch for fox

I think this comes down to use any calibre within its limits and your ability.

I regularly use the HMR on Fox, but I regularly use other calibres as well.

post-10759-0-25430300-1386970122_thumb.jpg

HMR, V-Max, NS200, close to just over 100yards, 4 shots, 4 Fox! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker