Dyeing Nets

Danielm7353

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terry, the reason the rabbits were throwing themselves at the 6z nets and bouncing off was that the lamps they were using were panicing the rabbits. I do not know if the night vision and lamps were us

Very interesting hearing everyone's opinion's, thoughts and experience's regarding black net's. With my personal experiences with the colour black I had a 40 yard spun nylon net which when it was us

Good intresting input fella's, nothing clever just good honest findings. long may it continue.   TC

There was one very experienced netter who stated that black was a colour he had tried and it did not work. Reason being that he stated the net stood out as a black line against the hedge and spooked the rabbits. I do not know how much the net would stand out being darker than the background hedge, but what I do know is the wife has a jet black pot licker and when I take her out at night she is bloody invizable without a torch.

TC

Guest scramble

There was one very experienced netter who stated that black was a colour he had tried and it did not work. Reason being that he stated the net stood out as a black line against the hedge and spooked the rabbits. I do not know how much the net would stand out being darker than the background hedge, but what I do know is the wife has a jet black pot licker and when I take her out at night she is bloody invizable without a torch.

TC

i cant see how a black net would stand out against a dark background at night. the best thing they added into any camo pattern was shadow...........ever present in nature. :yes:

TC

i cant see how a black net would stand out against a dark background at night. the best thing they added into any camo pattern was shadow...........ever present in nature. :yes:

I agree about the camo, but shadow is broken up and not a tangible wall of solid black. Just playing devils advocate here, as I have never tried a black net so am not in a position to speak with any authority.

My thoughts, does the rabbits see the net as we do? IE we are always looking at the net from above, where they are looking at it from ground level. For there to be shadow there has to be light to give contast There are solid blocks of black as in a banked hedge etc, but they are permenent fixtures and the rabbit would be used to seeing those. It is when the rabbit is used to seeing the dappled effect that a wood or fence line would show up in the night that i should imagine problems would occur? Just a few thoughts to mull over.

Intresting subject your thoughts please. To the OP it all depends what the net is made of as to what dye and method of dying you should use.

TC

Guest scramble

Always thinking outside the box TC :thumbs: I've never used a black net myself either so again i can only offer an opinion of how i see it(or not as the case may be)

As we are led to believe rabbits can only differentiate between blues and greens, maybe its the meshes hanging from a taught topline, dark on light in a straight line that could give away its presence????? :blink:

• Like 1

mr wilkes has a picture of a rabbit in a black net caught last season (i think). somebody said there not the best but i would use it no broblem..

on a black night with no moon and a bunny with poor eyes to start with, will not see it imo when its bum hole is nipping as it legs it for home..

mr wilkes has a picture of a rabbit in a black net caught last season (i think). somebody said there not the best but i would use it no broblem..

on a black night with no moon and a bunny with poor eyes to start with, will not see it imo when its bum hole is nipping as it legs it for home..

There is that factor to consider, :hmm: however, I prefer them hopping for home rather than running. I should imagine even a black net would be invisable up against those stone walls of yours no matter what speed the rabbit was doing.

TC

Even if the rabbit see's the net do you think it decides to take its chances any way and attempt to plough through as it has no idea what it is? or run along it and get caught in the tailed net if it has been done. Rather than do a u turn and head off else where.

I keep thinking of a video on here where it was filmed with the night vision and you can see a rabbit time and time again throw him self at the net trying to go through.

• Like 1

Terry, the reason the rabbits were throwing themselves at the 6z nets and bouncing off was that the lamps they were using were panicing the rabbits. I do not know if the night vision and lamps were used just to show the rabbits entering the nets? All I can say is they failed misrably if that was the intention. The video you are talking about is to be honest a good advert for how not to bant a field. It may well have been made under the constraints of time and the limitations of the camera and night vision. But IMHO the people who made that do not have a clue about longnetting at night.

I have spoken to one of the people who made that video on a few occations, each time I have spoken to him he has gone down in my esteem. Make of that what you will, but I will tell you now you have more hunting guile and an instinct for long netting than he will ever have.

TC

• Like 3
Guest scramble

Terry, the reason the rabbits were throwing themselves at the 6z nets and bouncing off was that the lamps they were using were panicing the rabbits. I do not know if the night vision and lamps were used just to show the rabbits entering the nets? All I can say is they failed misrably if that was the intention. The video you are talking about is to be honest a good advert for how not to bant a field. It may well have been made under the constraints of time and the limitations of the camera and night vision. But IMHO the people who made that do not have a clue about longnetting at night.

I have spoken to one of the people who made that video on a few occations, each time I have spoken to him he has gone down in my esteem. Make of that what you will, but I will tell you now you have more hunting guile and an instinct for long netting than he will ever have.

TC

If its the same video im thinking of wasn't that a hemp net??

Guest scramble

If its the same video im thinking of wasn't that a hemp net??

Could well have been, I just assumed it was 6z as that is what is favoured by one of the partisipants and the way the rabbits bounced off the net.

TC

I remember Bill talking about that video and a hemp net being mentioned. i could be wrong though.

IMO the colour of a net does not matter (its your preference what colour you think is suitable) most rabbits will try and get through your net to their burrows..they don't know its a net, they just want to get to safety. smithie we have used the black net on numerous occasions (its just another 4z net to me) and its caught every time out..... Its not the colour of the net we should worry about its the "mesh size"... :D.

Daniel .. dye it black it will still catch rabbits :thumbs:.

Question for mr goodcat now... why in your experience is black not a good colour ?..( Genuine question. )