.223 Or .243 For Lamping Foxes

you could put on your fac FOR HUMANELY DESPATCHING WILD MAMMALS ,this will give you the upper hand as people may call you or dispatching mammals in destress ,also for PURPOSE OF CARRYING OUT ATIVITIVES OF ESTATE MANAGEMENT this also lets you kill stock so .243 cal rifle is more suitable

on my fac it states for purpose to shoot foxes and deer (ive a 243 granted) so I would put it down to your local police force forcing your hand on a lower calibre

Yes but if they wont pass the ground for .243 he can put down whatever he likes, he still wont get a .243, and if he is only shooting foxes, and has no intention to shoot larger deer, then a .22 centerfire is the perfect tool, putting down .243 because you fancy one is not good reason, you have to justify the need for the calibre, if the ground was already passed for .243 then you might stand a chance, but if you need to get it passed, and no deer are present, you are looking at a .22 cf, what about a .17rem .223 necked down to .17, 4000+fps and deadly out to 300 yards?

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.   Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.   Anyway,, .223 is a superb round, and chea

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no for

Well next time you see them ask to have a look at the certificates, there is more chance of platting fog than getting a .243, to shoot in England on open ticket with the particular force in question,

Posted Images

Does anybody know what twist rate my cz 527 223 is?

Varmint Model 1:9 according to Google unless it falls between certain years in which case 1:12.

Others 1:12.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_527

There's also info here:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/centerfire-micro/

Edited by Alsone

well if the land is not passible id opt for the 22250 the keeper I lamp with doesnt miss and makes agreat impact and clean kill on the reds

but ive never seen out else used so 223 could be your choice ,

all rifles will do the biz but personal preference ,ammo costs etc etc have to be choosen and everyones different

happy hunting anyway

ps a good scope is required also its not just about the rifle

I was sent a letter with my FAC just sating that I had been refused said calibres due to lack of experience, but to re-apply for them in 6/9 months...Which would be classed as a free variation...

.. and 6 months with a .22 rimfire counts towards a slot for a centerfire with expanding ammunition :blink:

I was sent a letter with my FAC just sating that I had been refused said calibres due to lack of experience, but to re-apply for them in 6/9 months...Which would be classed as a free variation...

.. and 6 months with a .22 rimfire counts towards a slot for a centerfire with expanding ammunition :blink:

Yes.

Sounds like an FEO fob off to me - The question was more directed at the people who do have experience with shooting centre fire at night on whether they thought this was a good idea or not.

I wouldn't be surprised if your variation got knocked back or was granted subject to mentorship or FMJ only for range shooting but good luck with it anyway.

Edited by Yokel Matt

You see this is where it gets silly.

2 friends of mine had never shot in their life and fancy starting shooting.

They applied for rifle range and shooting deer in Scotland.

He got a .243 on Open Ticket - 1st grant and she got a .22-250 on Open Ticket 1st Grant, no conditions.

Neither of them had ever picked up a firearm before in their lives!

I'd bet money that I could apply to the same Force for a .243 for use locally on 1st grant and despite having had a SGC for 15 years would not get it.