.223 Or .243 For Lamping Foxes

I got my FAC back in June , during the interview the FAO recommended a .22lr first, which I got..Great little gun which has taught me a lot.

I had originally applied for a .17HMR and a .223.

I was sent a letter with my FAC just sating that I had been refused said calibres due to lack of experience, but to re-apply for them in 6/9 months...Which would be classed as a free variation...

Now the time is nearly here... I have been thinking about a .243 instead of a .223....for my first centre fire...

The new rifle would be used to lamp foxes.....No deer in the area..

Are you more likely to have a piece of land cleared for a .223 than a .243?

Also is it the same with granting either calibres? Surely if you are safe to handle a .223 then you are safe to handle anything....?

I'm still not sure, but like the idea of being able to put heavier rounds through a .243 to cut through the wind a little more, also slightly flatter shooting past 200 yards with a light round?

Edited by DeerhoundLurcherMan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.   Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.   Anyway,, .223 is a superb round, and chea

I have a shared cabinet with the wife and we have to have all calibres/firearms and ammunition entered on both certs.the bit I've highlighted would be proof enough that they are on the wind up, no for

Well next time you see them ask to have a look at the certificates, there is more chance of platting fog than getting a .243, to shoot in England on open ticket with the particular force in question,

Posted Images

Hi:

I my experience.

Either should not be a problem, the centrefire 'grant' is the hurdle, and it sounds like you are past that.

Many years ago I had a .22RF and a 22.250, when I got some ground with Deer + a permission to shoot them, on

asking the D&C force said 'if I wanted' I could change to a Deer legal calibre and give up the 22.250 as a

'no charge 'variation, so as I didn't want to spend loads on a new scope etc as well as a new rifle, I did that,

and I got a .270 (hardly a traditional Fox calibre).

I've since got another 22.250 and a 7x57 in addition to the other 2 rifles.

Anyway, I reckon if you say that you want a .243 as you are hoping to get some deer shooting as soon as you can

it would be better to get a deer legal calibre now and save the bother and cost of upgrading.

AndyF

I sent in a variation in recently asking for 223 and a 243 but FAO said unless you've been on a deer management course there is no chance you will get 243 even if it is just for shooting foxes even if you plan to shoot deer in future. Is this how it is all over or are each firearms different when it comes to rules?

I use both,

40 grainers through the .223 and 75 grainers through the .243.

The .223 comes out with me 90 % of the time. Quiet, very little kick, noise, muzzle blast/ flash etc. Does the job nicely on foxes and fairly flat.

The .243 has an advantage on a windy night or shooting foxes on high stubbles, but it really only comes into its own if your doing much foxing past 200 yards where you can stick 58 grainers through it and make the most of the flatter trajectory offered, or if you want to use heavier rounds to buck wind etc.

• Like 1

I asked myself the same question last year, I opted for a .223 CZ527 and have not looked back. I do not reload and cost of ammo was a consideration. I shoot 55 grainers through it and find it is fine out to 250m.

.243 is a more versatile round, most of my friends shoot it lamping fox and it is fine for feral goats and most pigs. It shoots flatter than a .223 which is a plus at night where it is difficult to estimate range. It is also worth considering the 22-250 if you like flat shooting rounds.

• Like 1

get a 223 with a fast twist shooting the heavy bullets,some have a very good bc say .435 for example.cheaper to load less recoil and mr fox wont know the difference.with regard wind drift the killer bc on the heavy 223 vs the bigger surface area of the 243 there will be very little in it unless your going very long range.

There are regional variations when it comes to granting of calibres and conditions.

However, if you have no intention to shoot deer, most forces wouldn't grant .243 for fox alone.

I have both calibres and use Hornady's 53gr Vmax in my homeloads for the 223. However, since there are lots of deer on my land, the .223 rarely gets a look in, as I have a good double-duty .243 load using 95gr Hornady SST chrono'd at 3200fps.

If I was only going to go for fox, I'd probably go for .223 and use factory Hornady Superformance 53gr, which claims 3465fps, or homeload the same bullet or (if twist rate 1in 8 ) the 70-80gr bullets available with high Bc. The Superformance ammo is more expensive than "non-premium" stuff and in real world terms,, might not offer a novice much extra range (don't know your experience- no offence intended.)

The .223 is a good round and eminently suitable for fox. The.243 might seem like a better bet for longer range fox but it's real strength lies in the versatility to take deer, which you don't need.

If I wanted a great long range cartridge purely for fox/vermin, I'd be looking at 6PPC, 6mmBR, 6x47 or 6XC etc. however, you would need to homeload so probably not a realistic proposition.

Answer: get a tight twist .223

Edited by HerneTheHunter
  • Like 1

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.

Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.

Anyway,, .223 is a superb round, and cheap to feed. .243 chucking out 80gr gameheads is brill on the charlies

• Like 4

FFS some FEO`s need a bloody slap.

Tell me the difference in owning a .223 or a .243 or even a bloody .308 None !! they all throw lead a long way.

Some examples of same:

1. My mate just got his first centrefire approved on his FAC. He applied for .243 for deer (he has a young plantation that is seeing a lot of damage) and fox (has chickens).

His ticket came back saying .243 for shooting fox but must be accompanied by mentor when stalking deer.

2. Similarly, before I got an open ticket, the FEO inspected the land I was going to be shooting deer on. I already had a .308 but he approved the land as safe for ".243 on foot but .308 only from a high seat!"

3. I paid a deposit on a lovely Marlin 1894 Octagonal barrel in .45Colt and then put in for a variation for .45 rifle. My ticket came back with 45mm rifle!

post-92119-0-80072700-1386631929.jpg

They sorted that out pretty sharpish!

Sorry to go off topic...

Edited by HerneTheHunter
  • Like 2

3. I paid a deposit on a lovely Marlin 1894 Octagonal barrel in .45Colt and then put in for a variation for .45 rifle. My ticket came back with 45mm rifle!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They sorted that out pretty sharpish!

Sorry to go off topic...

Ha ha. You should have bought one then looked at his face when you invited him around to see why you couldn't get it in the cabinet!

Edited by Alsone