Cage Perches ....?

Good point, HM. I'll just buy some dowel though. I have an electric plane here and, frankly? The prospect of f**king around with bits of wood, and my fingers, for the sake of under a fiver? Shop bought dowel suits me!

Any one any idea what diameter's best, please?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's half the buzz of having birds and that mate swapping ideas and diffrent ways with like mined folk. Man who taught me was tight if I'm honest and wouldn't waste a pin if none was needed lol henc

I was looking through the pet shop window with a torch ffs just to see if they had them in stock

I'm a bit lost with this post to be honest lol however how I do it   cut a groove on end of dowel using hand/ tenon saw and push wire into groove   for the other end make small hole on the back

Posted Images

dont cut holes or put pins in there is no need just make it longer than usual and wedge it in less places for the dreaded mites to hide

I hardly think making a pin sized hole in the back of the cage is going to make alot of difference to how many mites you may/ may not get ffs

• Like 1

Better safe than sorry kittle besides I never had need for nails or holes as I say the just wedge in makes life real easy even when catching birds and things as the just collapse when you tap them hard enough and slot back in. Pins stocking out a cage if a perch somehow come off would cause injury in a worse case senario aswell I should imagine.

:laugh: At this rate, I may well just shove some f**king sticks in there. And a lump of old bog oak.

GTE's really got me thinking there; Wouldn't a lump of 'driftwood' look attractive, in a white cage? And it's give them all manner of edges to grip to.

I had an indoor flight which was just a big long box like treble breeding cage but 3m long 2m high and 1 m deep for young birds to get there wings flapping and I used drift wood in there. If it was for a breeding cage tho I'd try and cut it down to make some narlyperches

Hot meat >The pins are hammered into the dowel mate not on the back of the cage, just the way I do it :thumbs:

That's half the buzz of having birds and that mate swapping ideas and diffrent ways with like mined folk. Man who taught me was tight if I'm honest and wouldn't waste a pin if none was needed lol hence he only used a perch and nothing else lol

• Like 2

No don't start with dowling Pete start with a square piece of long wood put the saw grooves at one end. Put it in sideways and the saw grooves take the bars in them as you twist.exact same as your pics Then you can alter the thickness and shape of perch so the canaries feet get a good work out grabbing diffrent thickness perches or square or round. Another way is to just get buts of off cuts not unlike chopsticks and cut them a bit longer then the wire to the back of cage,insert little groove on end that will touch wire and push back part against the back wall the extra few mm's will bend the wire on front of cage out slightly and it will jam in so to speak. A quip tap with the hand will dislodge it but even a few canaries on same perch won't budge them if you get them snug enough

i used to keep and breed 15 pairs of canaries for years it was a big thing for me as a kid..

i used to make all my perches like this from square wood only i used to tap a pannel-pin into the other end of the perch that sloted into a SMALL like 2mm hole in the back of the cage to stop it slipping and sagging

• Like 1