Cage Perches ....?

:hmm: How's that work then, Meat? I'm visualising shoving a 1/2" dowel between 1/2" spaced bars. Nothing's going to happen. Dowel bigger than the space? Bend the bars.

This is what I'm after, see? Pop the flat end in and turn. Job's a good'n.

Perches_zps0ac39340.jpg

Ive just trawled through pages and pages looking for this !!!

Went and bought myself some breeding cages today but i cant suss out what sort of perches they are supposed to have.....there are pre drilled holes at the back in line with where you would have a perch which i presume is what the holes are for.....but where can you get perches like the one at the bottom of the picture above ?.....( the one furthest to the left )......i have some wooden twisty ones but they are square at the end so wont fit.....and they are not long enough....im sitting their like a 7 year old thinking hang on a minute i must be missing something here :D .....the cages are pretty standard 12 inch depth.

Also what sort of stuff do you put on the bottom i cant be doing with all that sandpaper carry on is normal builders sand ok ?.....or not :icon_redface:

if using sand i would advice silica sand atb bunnys.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's half the buzz of having birds and that mate swapping ideas and diffrent ways with like mined folk. Man who taught me was tight if I'm honest and wouldn't waste a pin if none was needed lol henc

I was looking through the pet shop window with a torch ffs just to see if they had them in stock

I'm a bit lost with this post to be honest lol however how I do it   cut a groove on end of dowel using hand/ tenon saw and push wire into groove   for the other end make small hole on the back

Posted Images

Gnash make your own to fit out dowling, make it a wee bit longer than it should be, put a score in the end at bars and other end in your round hole at back of cage, the extra bit of length with jam it in so it don't move but a tap of finger will dislodge it when cleaning. I much preferred to make em as making diffrent thicknesses and shapes help there feet

• Like 1

Gnash make your own to fit out dowling, make it a wee bit longer than it should be, put a score in the end at bars and other end in your round hole at back of cage, the extra bit of length with jam it in so it don't move but a tap of finger will dislodge it when cleaning. I much preferred to make em as making diffrent thicknesses and shapes help there feet

I thought about that but i was trying to avoid wood if possible.....im probably being gullible as f**k but the geezer who sold me the cages ( metal ) said wood will hold mite etc whereas metal/plastic wont................................not that im saying you dont know what your on about Hotmeat :D like i say i was probably just being delboy'd out of some dough !!..........I have seen them plastic perches before just not with the tapered end.

Do people use shavings/newspaper on the bottom of the cages ? or is that not the done thing.

Gnash'; Having recently viewed footage of a blokes stunning flights and cages? I'm looking for an opportunity to nip out with my tape measure and secateurs!

natural branches are what birds feet are made for. And, their thicker to thinner ends will let the birds find that perfect spot.

Get mites? Disinfect the whole cage and just burn the twigs. Cut some fresh ones and carry on.

I just found their look knocked the spots off of any, commercially produced, perches.

Floor covering is wrecking my head! I don't read papers. And my one source of read ones is already cornered. No. I can't go with newspaper.

Sharp sand is most available to me. Probably have to lay it out on trays to dry before use though. And I'd eventually, wind up with a sand (and shit) pit somewhere.

I'm seeing the guys using " Snowflake " woodchips and some horse bedding, " EasiBed " ? Anyway, it's basically either dust free wood shavings. Else this hemp stuff. Hemp sounds ideal, because it can just be composted. Also, so I'm understanding it, ye change this stuff 'as and when'. It sounds to be very long lasting.

Only thing is; Ye don't pop this stuff in ye pocket when ye buy some. The clue is in " Horse Bedding ". It tends to come in half hundredweight bales!

And I can't find it here either. FFS.