Newcastle/sunderland

Been working in Newcastle for a couple months now, always know they had a bit of rivalry but didn't realised just how much they hated each other! Was talking to a NC fan in the cabins today then soon as I said I was thinking about going to watch Sunderland vs Chelsea he just stopped talking to me LOL!! Only going for something to do! Reminds me of up the road n the whole Rangers Celtic thing. Biggest Rivalry in England??

• Like 1

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well shit in your hat and punch it......would you adam and eve it !!.....................He was right all along the boy ......well in Max   Im probably as relieved as you are that i havent spent th

i`m that engrossed in this i stuck my hand in the tin of roses without looking unwrapped it and i`ve had a fooking strawberry one

FFS I've never been so interested in whether somone has a ticket or not since watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Posted Images

Bigget rivalry in England :laugh: ......I doubt its the biggest rivalry in the north of England...............infact the only reason its a rivalry at all is they are the only 2 teams up there for f**k sake !!......these 1 club cities are funny.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

My mum works in Sunderland, on a derby day she sees all sorts come in, bites from police dogs, glassing, stabbings, assaults, teeth out, noses broken, fingers broken, deep lacerations from various weapons...and that's just the non football attendees :D

I understand a bit of rivalry but i've never got my head round the fighting at football...you're all in the same boat, you love football, just go and support your team and enjoy your day....but you always get bell ends running about trying to be Rocky, punching horses, each other and such like, c**ts :yes:

• Like 1

There are many reasons behind the Newcastle/Sunderland rivalry, and they go way beyond football.

When coal was starting to be mined in big quantities in the North East, King Edward 1, (who had a vested interest in Newcastle Tyne Port), decreed coal could only be exported from Newcastle, and not Sunderland, who's owners were the Durham Prince Bishops. Because of this Newcastle became one of the richest cities in England, while Sunderland got poorer.

Centuries later, but still involving Kings, coal and Ports, during the Civil War, Newcastle were staunch supporters of Charles 1, while Sunderland vacillitated until they saw which way the wind was blowing, and came down on the side of Cromwell. When Cromwell won, he recinded the coal export laws and Sunderland could then export coal in competition with Newcastle.

When the Scots were invading England, Newcastle was besieged but never fell, whereas Sunderland welcomed The Scots with open arms.

Newcastle has long been a City, with a Cathederal, and all the benefits that come with being a City, whereas Sunderland was "only" a Town, until quite recently. Sunderland residents always thought this unfair, as Sunderlands catchment area held more people than Newcastles.

So; for two cities only 12 mile apart, they have had a very fractious history, that still manifests itself in football.

• Like 1

There are many reasons behind the Newcastle/Sunderland rivalry, and they go way beyond football.

When coal was starting to be mined in big quantities in the North East, King Edward 1, (who had a vested interest in Newcastle Tyne Port), decreed coal could only be exported from Newcastle, and not Sunderland, who's owners were the Durham Prince Bishops. Because of this Newcastle became one of the richest cities in England, while Sunderland got poorer.

Centuries later, but still involving Kings, coal and Ports, during the Civil War, Newcastle were staunch supporters of Charles 1, while Sunderland vacillitated until they saw which way the wind was blowing, and came down on the side of Cromwell. When Cromwell won, he recinded the coal export laws and Sunderland could then export coal in competition with Newcastle.

When the Scots were invading England, Newcastle was besieged but never fell, whereas Sunderland welcomed The Scots with open arms.

Newcastle has long been a City, with a Cathederal, and all the benefits that come with being a City, whereas Sunderland was "only" a Town, until quite recently. Sunderland residents always thought this unfair, as Sunderlands catchment area held more people than Newcastles.

So; for two cities only 12 mile apart, they have had a very fractious history, that still manifests itself in football.

Interesting........but I wonder if any of today's stone island/Burberry boys know any of that stuff?

• Like 2

Football rivalry is about so much more than the 90 minutes of a game......i dont understand how cities with only 1 club can have big rivalries.......its all about the rivalry in the pubs,the workplace,the streets........how can you have that when everyone around you support the same club !!.......One of the best parts of the country ive seen for football rivalry is the Midlands.....Birmingham,Villa,Wolves,West Brom all so close to each other they cant help but run into each other on a daily basis it becomes so much more than just about playing each other......you pray your rivals lose just as much as you pray your own club wins.........Clubs like Villa or Wolves would be far bigger clubs than a club like Newcastle if they were in a 1 club city.......what would Celtic/Rangers rivalry be like if they were not in the same city.......Arsenal/Spurs seperated by one street......the best rivalries in football are where clubs and fans live,drink and work side by side.....then kick f**k out of each other on a weekend :laugh:

• Like 2

I wonder which city has the closest two teams,,, I know here in Nottingham,,, forest and county grounds are only 10 min walk from each other,, one on one side of the Trent ,, and one on the other side

• Like 1

I wonder which city has the closest two teams,,, I know here in Nottingham,,, forest and county grounds are only 10 min walk from each other,, one on one side of the Trent ,, and one on the other side

Dundee i think

• Like 2

Fulham and Chelsea are pretty much on each others doorsteps and all, aren't they?

Same can be said for a number of rivalries, like Liverpool and United.. The mill owners in Manchester built the ship canal because they were fed up of paying the ever increasing dock fees that Liverpool were imposing in the goods they were importing and exporting and bypassed the city completely. Likewise Swansea and Cardiff, they have been competitors since the industrial revolution and before and still are today. They were rivals for the honour of being wales capital and in 1998 Swansea voted 'yes' to devolution and Cardiff voted 'no' and they still put the Senedd in Cardiff..

I get what Gnasher is saying about local rivals being based in the same town or city, but towns and cities all over the country themselves have rivalries with their neighbours that had nothing to do with any sport, and football became a focal point to vent their frustrations and show their 'enemies' exactly what they thought of them.

Same can be said for a number of rivalries, like Liverpool and United.. The mill owners in Manchester built the ship canal because they were fed up of paying the ever increasing dock fees that Liverpool were imposing in the goods they were importing and exporting and bypassed the city completely. Likewise Swansea and Cardiff, they have been competitors since the industrial revolution and before and still are today. They were rivals for the honour of being wales capital and in 1998 Swansea voted 'yes' to devolution and Cardiff voted 'no' and they still put the Senedd in Cardiff..

Loads of club rivalries go beyond football West Ham/Millwall rivalry is as strong today as it was 100 years ago......its not just about football its about areas its about schools its about pubs..........pure football rivalries are clubs like Arsenal/Spurs where theres no real history..........If you ask Chelsea fans who their rivals are they,ll say Spurs yet Qpr and Fulham are up the road.........same with Liverpool/Everton/United...................theres rivalries for footballs sake and theirs rivalries that includes football in it.