Eels

Does anyone on here trap Eels?, there use to be a couple of fella's locally who trapped Eels for a living has you get loads in the dykes down on the marsh land besides the Thames.
bang in eel trap on ebay got loads and not dear,have set fyke nets in blackwater and crouch with a friend who was licenced to do so,do not know if dykes wide enough for fykes (poet and do not know it)also check law regarding otter guards on eel traps.all the best
Does anyone on here trap Eels?, there use to be a couple of fella's locally who trapped Eels for a living has you get loads in the dykes down on the marsh land besides the Thames.
bang in eel trap on ebay got loads and not dear,have set fyke nets in blackwater and crouch with a friend who was licenced to do so,do not know if dykes wide enough for fykes (poet and do not know it)also check law regarding otter guards on eel traps.all the best

you can bait traps with rabbit guts from the rabbits you paunch.all the best

we used to get an large hemp sack quater fill it with sheeps guts out of the slaughter house get a bike wheel put it into the sack and put a couple of ties through the sack around the wheel to keep it in place put a length of 4 inch plastic pipe about four foot long into the sack into the spokes of the wheel tie the neck of the sack to the pipe you have about two foot of pipe protruding from the sack put it out into the stream and leave it for a few days tied of with a length of rope to a bhsh or something if theres eels there you will have em ive had dozens in the bag when ive gone back

I have a couple of Eel traps here which I had give to me last year. Jellied Eel are one of my Favouite treats so I decided to plop the two traps in the River Nar near me useing some sprats for Bait, I checked them Daily and finally caught some Lamprey :hmm:.

I stuck the Lamprey back but havn't been since!! but if anyone has the Recipe for Jellied Eels it would certainly help if I catch any in the future :thumbs:....

BROOKIE ,

I WAS SHOWN A VERY SIMILAR METHOD AS A KID .......... WE USED A HESSIAN SACK , AND WOULD STITCH ROUND THE MOUTH OF THE SACK A PIECE OF PLASTIC PIPE SHAPED IN A RING ....... THIS WAS THEN DRILLED IN 3 PLACES EVENLY ..... THEN CORD WAS THREADED THROUGH AND TIED OFF ON TO ONE CORD AT ABOUT 18 INCHES ........ THE SACK WAS BAITED WITH A RABBIT SPLIT [ OLDER THE BETTER ] THEN STRAW PACKED ON TOP ..........

WE WADE OUT INTO THE RIVER PROP OPEN THE MOUTH OF THE SACK AND TIE OFF THE CORD TO THE BANK ..... WHEN PULLED IN THE MOUTH OF THE SACK CLOSES CATCHING THE EELS UNDER THE STRAW .

OFTEN THE SACK WILL HAVE A DOZEN EELS TRAPPED

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :thumbs:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Interesting, the variations on the 'Sack Trick' emerging here! I've never done it myself, but I was told by a bloke who would have that he used to fill a sack with straw, shove some vile guts and stuff in the middle of it all, but that he just poked holes in the sack and they found their ways in through those.

B*stards to keep hold of in ye hands, aren't they? :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Magwitch....only found this forum a few days ago :icon_redface: . you asked if anyone traps eels. Up until only a few years ago I fished for eels full time for many years from April through to the Autumn floods and migrating silver eels. Tried elver fishing with a mate one season as they were making absolute fortunes...we had no-one to help so it was a case of "suck it and see" :icon_eek: ...well we caught a few kilo and the day that they were due to be collected several of the slimey little bas***ds chose to somehow get throught he pump filter and commit hari kiri in said pump and then proceed with... gay abandon...to pollute the entirs tank and kill most of the others...so we never weighed in!

My gear was all made by me, front ring was 16" circle, three traps, all fished in pairs. I fished over 60 pairs in rivers ponds and lakes. Another method I was shown by a good friend was "bobbing"...all you devotees of the sack method take note....if you want a great bit of fun then keep the sack for the catch and collect yourself some lobworms, thread on thin twine and attach enough lead to hold bottom...await bites. It,s great! The guy who taught me fished every single dark night of the summer in those days, his catch rate wasn,t the best as he,d hammered the same spots for years. I was more mobile :whistling: and on the right night temperature wise would think nothing of hitting out 25Lb in a short feeding period. Be warned though the feeding cycles of eels are very very fickle, get a slight drop in temperature and it won,t happen enough for a commercial type of haul. the cycle is on and off like flicking a light switch.

Towards the end of summer the wing nets came out to take the first of the silvers that were trickling downstream...with tricklers it was a case of set the net early and return late...no fun for 3lb of eels and a frosty dinghy to let down and then pack the net away....but when they moved...WELL worth it!

Starting to ramble now...hope it,s been of interest.

Regards Mapreader

Eel is something i've never tried, i'll eat most things but jellied eel just doesn't appeal. Watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall catch elvers and fry them in a pan before setting nets in a brook and skinning and frying the adults.