14 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following non toxic loads do you find most effective

• Steel
    • Bismuth
    • Tungsten Matrix
    • Heavy Shot
    • TMX
    • Other

I prefer Tungsten Matrix as I've had good results with this, it's a bit expensive but although I've used steel in the past I find it doesn't group as well. Bismuth to me is a terrible load.

Not tried TMX yet so interested to see what you guys are using

• Like 1

If I could afford it lol, heavy shot would be my choice, all the time, as you know mate I like tungsten too, I want to try some of the new Eley lightning steel, over 1600fps but have not seen any around yet.

Have you read about the TMX though? They reckon they are as near to lead as its going to get and better and cheaper than tungsten matrix.

If I could afford it lol, heavy shot would be my choice, all the time, as you know mate I like tungsten too, I want to try some of the new Eley lightning steel, over 1600fps but have not seen any around yet.

Have you read about the TMX though? They reckon they are as near to lead as its going to get and better and cheaper than tungsten matrix.

Well lets hope they start to produce a load bigger than 32 gram 5s then, as Gamebore website suggests thats all they do currently.

• Like 2

I've been using 32g TMX over the past 3 years and really like them. Before that I used Tungsten Matrix in 36g which were even better but I stopped when they went daft expensive (think they are towards £2 a shell!).

If you buy 250 TMX they work out at about 90p a shell however Gamebore have stopped / paused production because the price of tungsten has just rocketed again. They were also dropping the load from 32g to 30g which is surely too light for duck.

I've just bought a couple of boxes of Gamebore Steel and will see how they go but I'm not optimistic.

• Like 2

Yes 30g is too light for duck on the foreshore, ok over a flight pond maybe, I use gamebore 3" magnum steel and they are pretty good, I wish we could get some of the yank stuff over here, Remington do a waterfowling steel 3" shell pushing the shot at well over 1700fps, and according to the reports I have read is absolutely deadly on geese.

• Like 1

Well thats the yank philosophy, Les, in that in order to get more hitting power from lighter steel, it must be driven mega quick, the higher the velocity the higher the striking energy, but as you have indicated, maybe these super quick steel loads are going right through, so unless you hit a vital organ, the energy is not transferred, as it would be with heavier softer shot, I must say that every duck/goose I have shot with heavy-shot, has come down like a lead baloon, but I am with you on the lead mate, bring it back, I have a couple of boxes of 50gram no 3s knocking about, reserved for foxes now, but they would do the business on the geese.

Edited by charlie caller

I still question the original rationale behind banning lead shot for shooting. I can see the logic of banning lead shot from fishing tackle on some english canals and rivers where the anglers are 10 yards apart and fishing the shallows, often daily, where the wildfowl are probably feeding. But was there ever any real evidence that shotgun shooting was causing the same problem?

I've a feeling the ban on lead shot in shooting got "swept up" with the fishing ban. Now there is chat that they might ban lead altogether because people aren't observing the ban!

If there is evidence to the contrary then I am happy to stand corrected.

Edited by Beefbeefbeef

I've been using 32g TMX over the past 3 years and really like them. Before that I used Tungsten Matrix in 36g which were even better but I stopped when they went daft expensive (think they are towards £2 a shell!).

If you buy 250 TMX they work out at about 90p a shell however Gamebore have stopped / paused production because the price of tungsten has just rocketed again. They were also dropping the load from 32g to 30g which is surely too light for duck.

I've just bought a couple of boxes of Gamebore Steel and will see how they go but I'm not optimistic.

why is 30g to light for duck ?