Decoying Crows Whens Thd Best Time To Do It

Wish we found it as easy, crows are a lot more wary where we shoot. Yesterday they were coming in to birds we'd shot but were desperate to get on the standing corn the farmer has left. One of those days where you could have your best ever bags if you had the full day there. Only had 2hrs but had 8 or 9 pigeons and approx a dozen crows/rooks......not forgetting a woodcock & a pheasant

I always find when shooting crows that a dead rabbit opened up and one crow decoy brings them in range to start with, then some of the dead crows I put back out, though to many decoys out do at times make them wary,also a well camouflaged hide and that includes the shooter is very important, always were a face veil and keep very still while they get in range,if they are turning away at distance they are seeing something they consider not right so you will need to change tactics.

I was out this morning at first light and set out about 14 pigeon decoys and 4 crow decoys. The corvids came at regular intervals and I managed to bag 3 crows and 2 jackdaws as well as a pigeon. I used the shot birds as natural decoys, and I think that helped to draw them in. I packed up about noon. I was using a natural hide beneath a tree and behind a hedge. As the others have said, keeping very still and well camouflaged is absolutely essential. I normally sit on a bucket seat and keep crouched down until I hear them coming. The worst thing you can do is look up! As said, I hear the crows talking to each other and the jackdaws chattering to each other, so I know when they are coming. They generally circle a couple of times, and seldom land, so a quick but careful snap shot is required. Any sign of danger and they are off their mark! I have found recently that there are more corvids than pigeons on the farm at the moment.

Might be to do with the fact of a lot of people don't bother with crows any more because of the price of cartridges, and are just shooting pigeons which they can sell or eat? I personally love a day shooting blacks as it is more of a challenge to outwit them sharp eyed buggers!

• Like 2

I have tried the magnet with for crows but I made my own black hyperflap type decoys to put on it also had the speed control turned right down and it worked great, also had a lot of pigeons when using the crows don't know why this is perhaps they feel more confident when they see crows feeding

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

In the summer I have found that it pays to get decoying at first light beacuse the birds come off their roosts in dribs and drabs so they can be decoyed. Later in the morning they have flocked together and tend to move as one group which is no good if you are trying to decoy them.

I have not noticed if this also happens in winter as I tend to be after game and wildfowl at that time of year.

• Like 1