Advice With My 2 Young Dogs

i have a pair of 2 year old deerhound/greyhound x bedlington/greyhound X bull/greyhound x saluki/greyhound x whippet bitches, one has had a decent amount of work as i got her back at 18 months old, the other was mine from birth and was babied a bit too much and is now massive wimp and still hasnt had a catch of her own. both of my bitches had been trained quite well and were broken to small people, pigeons/birds, ferrets and 1 was broken to cats, but now they both pull like mental towards cats, jump up at our aviary and have went for my older jill a couple of times.me and my sister in-law are starting to take them out this year lamping and with the ferrets but their retrieving has gone terrible and i dont know how to recover it 1 bitch does victory laps and the other lays down and if you get within 10 feet of her she does 1 and the only person who manages to get her back is my 2 year old niece. i have tried going back to basics with them in an alley first with a ball and also with a dummy but they just seem to be getting worse and i would like to be able to chuck the 4 dogs in the truck, grab my ferrets go out and not be worried of being embarresed by my dogs playing up and wasting time

• Like 1

Sounds as though you need to be more of a boss and less of a friend to them. Dogs will behave as you allow them to behave, and unless you are a strong pack leader, more than one can take the p*ss and do their own thing: one dog on its own is a completely different thing to having two together. It does sound as though they don't have any respect for you. I'd recommend speaking to Jim Greenwood http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/ if you really want to turn things around. Without seeing both you and the dogs together it is hard to offer the right sort of advice over the internet.

• Like 1

thanks, i am trying to be a bit stricter and less of a pushover and they are getting better but they are still a complete nuisance when it comes to retrieving i have tried doing 1 to 1 with them but the only problem is that the bitch who was mine from the beginning if she sees me take one of the other dogs she puts her head back and starts howling at the top of her lungs and i have tried them with citrus collars different brands of electric shock collar as well as an old fashioned rolled up newspaper but nothing works with the idiot and my dad is threatening to get rid of her if she keeps it up

I have a springer pup here at moment who started howling when I took older dog beating -few buckets of cold water soon sorted that out -or you could have a nice big marrow bone handy & throw that to it and it should occupy it enough to settle it down one on one would be my solution to other probs with more assertiveness-billy

• 3 weeks later...

i have a pair of 2 year old deerhound/greyhound x bedlington/greyhound X bull/greyhound x saluki/greyhound x whippet bitches, one has had a decent amount of work as i got her back at 18 months old, the other was mine from birth and was babied a bit too much and is now massive wimp and still hasnt had a catch of her own. both of my bitches had been trained quite well and were broken to small people, pigeons/birds, ferrets and 1 was broken to cats, but now they both pull like mental towards cats, jump up at our aviary and have went for my older jill a couple of times.me and my sister in-law are starting to take them out this year lamping and with the ferrets but their retrieving has gone terrible and i dont know how to recover it 1 bitch does victory laps and the other lays down and if you get within 10 feet of her she does 1 and the only person who manages to get her back is my 2 year old niece. i have tried going back to basics with them in an alley first with a ball and also with a dummy but they just seem to be getting worse and i would like to be able to chuck the 4 dogs in the truck, grab my ferrets go out and not be worried of being embarresed by my dogs playing up and wasting time

seems to me you got to much to handle,pet home one and concentrate on the other that has seen a bit of work things only going to get worse from what im reading,good luck

Edited by hunter1372

yeah that was something that has been suggested. the bitch who has had a bit of work is soon to be going to live with my niece and sister in law once they get a house sorted so it will be easier to concentrate on my bitch, now that i am taking them out for a run more consistently they are getting much better and they are starting to improve so hopefully the only way is up, i have also been using a long rope with them both and they are coming straight back with that and are retrieving off lead in the garden.

i asked my dad about her going as a pet but he said that i just need to be more patient with her as she might just be slow to mature but he has liked her ever since they were about 3-4 days old and has said right from the begging that she will make a lovely bitch. this probably wont help with her behavior but it might, as anyone who reads this might then get a bit of a better understanding of her, she is about 25-26tts, very lightly built, she is quick off of the mark like her mother but also has her dads large strides and cant half get some speed behind her, she is atrocious at turning, likes to swim and is terrified of loud noises ( eg: fireworks) she might end up being a knacker but i hope she doesn't as she is the first dog that is properly mine and the dogs in her litter that went to working homes are apparently fantastic.

this is the 2 bitches together dip is the less experienced bitch on the left and panda is the bitch with some experience on the right

1526565_597632543643763_1939030337_n.jpg