23 replies to this topic

#1 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:43 pm

i have a pair of 2 year old deerhound/greyhound x bedlington/greyhound X bull/greyhound x saluki/greyhound x whippet bitches, one has had a decent amount of work as i got her back at 18 months old, the other was mine from birth and was babied a bit too much and is now  massive wimp and still hasnt had a catch of her own. both of my bitches had been trained quite well and were broken to small people, pigeons/birds, ferrets and 1 was broken to cats, but now they both pull like mental towards cats, jump up at our aviary and have went for my older jill a couple of times.me and my sister in-law are starting to take them out this year lamping and with the ferrets but their retrieving has gone terrible and i dont know how to recover it 1 bitch does victory laps and the other lays down and if you get within 10 feet of her she does 1 and the only person who manages to get her back is my 2 year old niece.  i have tried going back to basics with them in an alley first with a ball and also with a dummy but they just seem to be getting worse and i would like to be able to chuck the 4 dogs in the truck, grab my ferrets go out and not be worried of being embarresed by my dogs playing up and wasting time

• fiediugskat likes this

#2 Bazil brush

Bazil brush

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:18 pm

Broken to small people, what like as in midgets?
  • littlefish likes this

#3 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:16 pm

young children but they are broken to midgets aswell my brothers only about 3 feet tall 

#4 J Darcy

J Darcy

Gimplet

• Donator
  • 13,027 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:54 pm

Take them out on their own. :yes: If that's possible. :thumbs:

• jamie mc likes this

#5 skycat

skycat

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:29 pm

Sounds as though you need to be more of a boss and less of a friend to them. Dogs will behave as you allow them to behave, and unless you are a strong pack leader, more than one can take the p*ss and do their own thing: one dog on its own is a completely different thing to having two together. It does sound as though they don't have any respect for you. I'd recommend speaking to Jim Greenwood  http://www.jandjgreenwood.co.uk/ if you really want to turn things around. Without seeing both you and the dogs together it is hard to offer the right sort of advice over the internet.

• arcticgun likes this

#6 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:50 pm

thanks, i am trying to be a bit stricter and less of a pushover and they are getting better but they are still a complete nuisance when it comes to retrieving i have tried doing 1 to 1 with them but the only problem is that the bitch who was mine from the beginning if she sees me take one of the other dogs she puts her head back and starts howling at the top of her lungs and i have tried them with citrus collars different brands of electric shock collar as well as an old fashioned rolled up newspaper but nothing works with the idiot and my dad is threatening to get rid of her if she keeps it up 

#7 South hams hunter

South hams hunter

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:05 pm

With panda if she starts to misbehave, aaahh with a growl like tone
  • buddyblue likes this

#8 ftm

ftm

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:26 pm

I have a springer pup here at moment who started howling when I took older dog beating -few buckets of cold water soon sorted that out -or you could have a nice big marrow bone handy & throw that to it and it should occupy it enough to settle it down one on one would be my solution to other probs with more assertiveness-billy

#9 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:47 am

yeah the only problem with the bucket of water is they are crated in pairs so it wouldnt be fair on the other dog and they are also inside n pand hasnt got a problem with howling it iust dip when i try to take pand on her own

#10 Wideboy

Wideboy

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:56 pm

I have a springer pup here at moment who started howling when I took older dog beating -few buckets of cold water soon sorted that out -or you could have a nice big marrow bone handy & throw that to it and it should occupy it enough to settle it down one on one would be my solution to other probs with more assertiveness-billy

I take it you don't need your springer for water retrieves?

#11 South hams hunter

South hams hunter

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:31 pm

Lock the other 3 out the back and take pand through the house. Take dip first and leave her out the back garden then put bill and ni out with her andtake pamd ththrough the house

#12 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:13 pm

ok ta

#13 littlefish

littlefish

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:45 pm

So, how many dogs do you have? 

#14 Julie Cotton

Julie Cotton

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:31 am

we have 4 dogs that are crated in the porch which are an 8 year old bitch (mum),an 8 year old dog (dad) and 2 bitches out of that litter and we also have an old retired dog that is kenneled as he isn't a fan of the other dog 

#15 squab

squab

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:54 am

i have a pair of 2 year old deerhound/greyhound x bedlington/greyhound X bull/greyhound x saluki/greyhound x whippet bitches, one has had a decent amount of work as i got her back at 18 months old, the other was mine from birth and was babied a bit too much and is now  massive wimp and still hasnt had a catch of her own. both of my bitches had been trained quite well and were broken to small people, pigeons/birds, ferrets and 1 was broken to cats, but now they both pull like mental towards cats, jump up at our aviary and have went for my older jill a couple of times.me and my sister in-law are starting to take them out this year lamping and with the ferrets but their retrieving has gone terrible and i dont know how to recover it 1 bitch does victory laps and the other lays down and if you get within 10 feet of her she does 1 and the only person who manages to get her back is my 2 year old niece.  i have tried going back to basics with them in an alley first with a ball and also with a dummy but they just seem to be getting worse and i would like to be able to chuck the 4 dogs in the truck, grab my ferrets go out and not be worried of being embarresed by my dogs playing up and wasting time

seems to me you got to much to handle,pet home one and concentrate on the other that has seen a bit of work things only going to get worse from what im reading,good luck

Edited by hunter1372, 05 January 2014 - 10:54 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users