Best Cross ????

whitefeet4190

• 2 weeks later...

i run a mixed bag of beagles, teagles and springer beagles. it all depends on what you want to do with them really and how much help you have on a day out. the beagles are the best to speak and hold a line, they wont give up untill the fox is either lost, killed or gone to ground. if you are flushing game to lurchers or guns teagles or springer crosses are better suited as they tend not to stay going too far if charlie gets away, where as the beagles you better get ready to move because they are going to! the springer beagles tend to hit tight cover that bit harder and faster than the beagles, not all springer crosses will give tongue either. we flush to lurchers and sometimes guns and other days we let them hunt on to keep them keen, also a foctor in it is alot of teagles will go to ground and if thats not your thing this cross may not suit. the springer cross is an allrounder really and works best in tight cover and the majority of them will speak on scent. Thats my experience from the dogs i run.

ATB.

• Like 4

A good Russell will go through low tight bramble with ease.

Iwould imagine most will yipp when game is sprung- mine does.

I suppose the only issue would be following something to ground in cover.

Fortunatley this problem hasn't occurred for me.

I like the smaller types as they make bushing look effortless

• Like 1
Guest foxpack

we have , 1 beagle x russell ,3 x beagle x cockers and a 3/4 terrier 1/4 hound mix,all pritty good hunters ,the beagle x russell is an exceptional fox finder and screams like hell when on ,barking his bollocks off ,the beagle x cockers will open up well to ,,apart from 1 bitch that just opens up on sight,..the beagle x russell is just a wee bit hight for an out and out rabbiting dog ,finds it hard in low tight cover ,but anyway else he is good ,the beagle x cockers will smash through any cover ,being it tight or not.they have they drive off the cocker,and the little 3/4 dog is also a great rabbiting dog in tight spots .he stands at 13 inch.

DSCF0963_zps3ee07895.jpg

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

I am out most Saturdays with my two jack Russell's the bitch is very good uses her nose very well very steady in cover and rarely will miss a bunny in there and is good on the scent of a fox rarely have to call her back and she watches where I am to know if were moving on or not whereas the dog goes does his own thing always like a train through cover sometimes leaves the cover to go and do his own thing along the fields but then will come back if the bitch is making a bit of noise and then he is going 90 when he gets on a fox scent and screams when he has one up and will chase it till kingdom come whereas the bitch will chase it out but if I tell her stop she will whereas the dog its a hit and miss whether he will come back but using a very stern tone he will after a good few shouts of his name

any one hunting with a 3/4 cocker 1/4 beagle i have a cocker bitch that hunts well but once she rises a rabbit shes on looking for the next i wonder i a beagle cross would add a bit of sticking power that said i think a half cross would be to much for my needs