The Problem Of Not Being Able To Locate Your Main Mole Run And Using New Traps!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi mmk i'm not being mouthy just reading & taking things in. your post from 21 November extremely cheep & fully qualified. then you say your a rail man & do mole catching after work &amp

Public liability insurance is an absolute must around anything to do with traps. Without it, if someone sues you you’re buggered, whether you’re just at it for beer money or not.   But qualification

Personaly,..I don't give a feck who kills what,..be it Moles, Deers or Shushis,...   As for qualifications,.well,.I tried to become a certificated Mowdy Man,..but,.I'm just too fecking dumb,...I d

Na honestly your right I'm not here to argue but I speak to people who are passionate and interested in the same stuff as me.

I apologise to sound like an argumentative b**tard! I don't want to make enemies. End of the day were all here because we're all highly passionate, sometimes too much!

Sorry

Speaking as a farmer, it is considered good practice to keep livestock away from chain harrowed molehills for 24 hours.

Thanks Plank,

This is exactly the type of post I look forward to reading on here, informative without just showing off, no real use to cowboys and adding something (in this case the 24 hour exclusion) to my own knowledge.

No problem. In practice a lot of farmers do not bother too much unless there is a specific reason, for example they have older ewes during late pregnancy from breeds which are more susceptible.

Plank- amen! I'm glad you understand about anaerobic bacteria and livestock problems! I agree with what you are saying aboutt a forum is for swapping advice, but on the other hand the guys are right in what they're saying, there may be cowboys trying to give it ago.

Unfortunealty that's why mole catching is becoming a scarcer trade because mole catchers don't want anyone else knowing their secrets or tips.

Thanks for the comments :)

" unfortunEALTY thats why mole catching is becoming a scarcer trade because mole catchers dont want anyone else knowing their secrets or tips " Sorry, but i couldnt disagree more !

• Like 1

In MMK’s defence; if I didn’t think he knew what he was talking about I wouldn’t have bothered pulling him up about it.

Anyway, for future reference, if anyone wants to catch moles they will need to use:

Sonic mole chasers.

Scissor traps stuck in the side of molehills.

Exhaust from the lawn mower.

Garlic bulbs.

Motor oil.

Paper windmills in the lawn

Glass, razor blades and other shit stuffed down the hole.

Hose pipe down the hole.

Oh yes, and those plastic traps that look like a bit of drain pipe.

I think that’s molecatching advice sorted. Do let me know if I missed anything.

I was told recently i should not put pegs with flags (I make little flags for ones in long cover) next to mole traps because the vibrations when the wind blows them with keep the moles away :D

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers mate, I think it's important as a mole catcher you should know the reasons for the catching of the moles or maybe that's just me

to be fair ive been in farming/keepering/moles my whole life (while short a full life) and ive never asked a farmer why he wants moles caught,ime trapping on real fell ground at the min ile put a photo up its miles from a silage field and all their is,is rock scree and herdwicks!!

just out of interest,MMK what ratio of moles to traps do you get?

up hear on hill ground (mostly grazing),there can be alot of thistles,docks ,and other undesirable weeds,which establish easily on the molehills.Its not uncommon for the farmers to have to spray them,to get it under control again.I also remember one farmer ( who was often out with the jeep,checking on livestock,over his large acreage) telling me about the costs involved,due to wear and tear on the vehicle,as a result of having to travel over ,molehill infested ground ! premature tyre and suspension problems,etc

Edited by earth-thrower

Cheers mate, I think it's important as a mole catcher you should know the reasons for the catching of the moles or maybe that's just me

to be fair ive been in farming/keepering/moles my whole life (while short a full life) and ive never asked a farmer why he wants moles caught,ime trapping on real fell ground at the min ile put a photo up its miles from a silage field and all their is,is rock scree and herdwicks!!

just out of interest,MMK what ratio of moles to traps do you get?

up hear on hill ground (mostly grazing),there can be alot of thistles,docks ,and other undesirable weeds,which establish easily on the molehills.Its not uncommon for the farmers to have to spray them,to get it under control again.I also remember one farmer ( who was often out with the jeep,checking on livestock,over his large acreage) telling me about the costs involved,due to wear and tear on the vehicle,as a result of having to travel over ,molehill infested ground ! premature tyre and suspension problems,etc

yeh thats hill ground......i mean fell ground where you can barely walk!

wasdalex.jpg

wasdale2.jpg

and for scale ime about 1/3 up the side of england highest mountian

• Like 1