The Problem Of Not Being Able To Locate Your Main Mole Run And Using New Traps!

Time and time again you hear old gamekeepers or old trappers talking of burying a trap to take the smell off the new coating as otherwise the mole will smell you and "do a Runner". It's completely a load of nonsense, time and time again I've caught with the use of brand new traps.

Although the most productive area to place your traps is in the tunnel to the feeding area from the "main mole tunnel" , which is normally along a fence line, near a post, a tree or some form of permanent structure. It is possible to catch in the feeding area (where your mole hills, out in the open are!), but I have a theory on what traps to use in the feeding area!

When in these feeding runs, the mole is in full use of his sensory organ in his nose, and on his tail he has tiny hairs that act as whiskers and he can pick up any change in structure of his tunnels. I believe if you use the duffus like traps or Victorian style scissor traps, they will be less effective. As the moles can realise a change in the tunnel roof or floor but it is still tamped down (by the trap layer), so he knows something isn't quite right but the floor seems the same but the roof doesn't seem the same. So then he will tunnel around the trap or beneath it. Whereas if a talpex style trap is used, the way the trap is set it acts as a tunnel collapse, which out in the open field, playing ground or walkway, the mole is use to. The mole will come to he collapsed tunnel and think oh once again and continue to re open the tunnel, hitting the trigger and setting the trap. If possible do set your trap along the tunnel from the main mole run but if you can't locate it use your talpex style out in the feeding area but as close as possible to your source of water/permanent structure. Obviously don't set it where the mole hills look really smooth these are old ones.

Just to reiterate before I get any criticism always try and find your main mole tunnel or adjoining tunnel first! Last resort use your talpex out in my he open. I had this problem in a horse paddock recently so I thought hell be used to tunnel collapses due to the Horse galloping about and within 3 hours I had a mole!

Happy trapping

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hi mmk i'm not being mouthy just reading & taking things in. your post from 21 November extremely cheep & fully qualified. then you say your a rail man & do mole catching after work &amp

Public liability insurance is an absolute must around anything to do with traps. Without it, if someone sues you you’re buggered, whether you’re just at it for beer money or not.   But qualification

Personaly,..I don't give a feck who kills what,..be it Moles, Deers or Shushis,...   As for qualifications,.well,.I tried to become a certificated Mowdy Man,..but,.I'm just too fecking dumb,...I d

simpler to rake out the hills and return 24hrs later to see the active areas, i don`t do a lot of mole trapping only local church,cricket pitch,allotments and large posh gardens, only ever used scissor traps, always achieved my goal with time and a common sense approach, if you roll a sausage of soil in your hand and place it under the trap it will deter the mole from going under the eye, similarly if you ensure the trap is place central in the tunnel it will limit the mole going around it. as i say im no expert just an old amature,

Yeah mate vey true, but if your operating on a 2-3 acre field covered in mole hills and time is an issue it's not always possible to rake down the mole hills but if you can it's always handy. Raking them down where livestock are kept or grass is being grown for silage isn't a good idea as of there is any clostridium or lysteria in the soil you're going to end up with dead animals or ruined silage. But I know a lot of mole catchers who use the soil sausage to 'guide' the mole into the trigger.

Yeah mate vey true, but if your operating on a 2-3 acre field covered in mole hills and time is an issue it's not always possible to rake down the mole hills but if you can it's always handy. Raking them down where livestock are kept or grass is being grown for silage isn't a good idea as of there is any clostridium or lysteria in the soil you're going to end up with dead animals or ruined silage. But I know a lot of mole catchers who use the soil sausage to 'guide' the mole into the trigger.

if clostridium or listeria is in the soil the moles will have already pushed it to the surface, if livestock is present then that soil will get spread by their daily movements, if its a sillage field then unused mounds will soon get eroded by the weather any left will be spread by the mower when its cut, in large fields a quick whiz around on the tractor towing the grass chains will do the job toot sweet

The bacteria could still be present in the mound not necessarily pushed up on the surface. There was a recent case where a farmer had a field peppered in mole hills (new and old) so he chain harrowed them and lost 8 sheep a few days later!

the mower will do the exact same when a field is sillaged unless your saying you would remove all soil then i don't understand what you're saying, its catch 22 mate natures like that :laugh:

I personally wouldn't go raking moles hills on large fields where there's livestock. One for the effort or raking down every mole hill on such a large area and two I know a lot of farmers wouldn't be happy spreading potentially bacterial infested soil around a field with their money on it. That is all I am saying.

Mate,

This obviously isn’t my site and it’s not up to me what people post on the net, but do you not think your customers (or more to the point my customers) plus a lot of have-a-go cowboys might be reading this?

I’m sure we’re all terribly imprested with your mole catching knowledge but what is the point of publishing a ‘how to’ manual without anyone even asking for advice on the subject.

This actually sounds an awful lot more argumentative than I meant it be, but surely I’ve got a point?

What dose everyone else think?

Interesting. I catch all the time in the 'feeding area' with duffus traps. I use talpex as well but for different reasons to yours most of the time. I won't say why because it takes time and experience to learn your own ways of doing the job. Not something I will hand out to people I don't know. No disrespect to you for sharing some knowledge though.