Fantasy/science Fiction Books.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GEEK THREAD ALERT...........

Terry Pratchett discworld series,i haven,t read a bad book in the series,bit controversial but i read The Lord Of The Rings and i thought they went on a bit long.

The Lord of the rings films were good plus there was no bombadil episode(just what was the point of this part in the book??) also it does miss a lot of the emotion the books convey, old tree beard was

Try Bernard Cornwell - The Warrior Chronicles if you like historical fantasy. Starts with The Last Kingdom and he's just released book 7 The Pagan Lord.

Really enjoying them :)

Yeah they are very good. And if you enjoyed that, try the Warlord series, based around Arthur Pendragon.

• Like 1

Old Mans War by John Scazi and it's follow ups (5 or 6) are quality, basically you get the choice at 70 to leave Earth and be given a younger genetically altered body to fight in !

And the other surprises that are throw in really make you think but it's not a difficult read like the space operas can be.......................

Totally flipped my thinking on Military Sci-Fi !

I know the films have been made and the book is getting on a bit, but if you haven't read it..................The Lord of the Rings...................everyone needs to read this book IMO. It draws you in like no book I've ever read. The silmarillian as well, an epic book. I read them when I was a lot younger and I can honestly say they actually had an influence on how I've led my life..................read them deeply and they are absolutely outstanding. :thumbs:

• Like 1

The Lord Of The Rings requires that you take at least a week off work and have no distractions, that may sound heavenly to some but I prefer a more leisurely approach to reading !

I always find the most disappointing thing about film adoptions of fine books is the amount of subplot, description, storyline and personal narrative that is missing or altered due to obvious time constraints in movies and the feeling that dumbing down is required for the target audiences.

Although who would sit through a true adaption that went on for over 5 or 6 hours................................

The Lord Of The Rings requires that you take at least a week off work and have no distractions, that may sound heavenly to some but I prefer a more leisurely approach to reading !

I always find the most disappointing thing about film adoptions of fine books is the amount of subplot, description, storyline and personal narrative that is missing or altered due to obvious time constraints in movies and the feeling that dumbing down is required for the target audiences.

Although who would sit through a true adaption that went on for over 5 or 6 hours................................

:thumbs: Totally agree about the films, I do like the Lord of the Rings films but they are not a patch on the book, there is so much raw emotion missing, reading that book I laughed, felt loss and sadness, fell in love with Arwen, wished I was as noble as Aragorn, it wasn't just a good read it was a full on emotional journey.......................................... quite a lot of the actual story was missing as well :laugh:

The Lord of the rings films were good plus there was no bombadil episode(just what was the point of this part in the book??) also it does miss a lot of the emotion the books convey, old tree beard wasn't what I imagined read. Gandalf was conveyed brilliantly though IMHO. Best fi based on a book has to be Conan though lol!

• Like 2

Old Tom Bombadil was a jolly fellow, bright blue his jacket was and his boots were yellow :laugh: From memory but yeah a very strange character :D I think its that he was like Gandalf, not a person but a spirit in human form and that even though he had the power to protect his woods from evil, he was not powerful enough to have the ring and not be corrupted by it. Also I know that Tolkien had concerns about the loss of the English countryside to urban sprawl so I wonder if Bombadil was designed to reflect the whole nature spirit type thing :thumbs:

He'll knows I just never understood why he was there and took up a lot of the pace of the books which I think would be edited out in this day and age, it slowed the plot and I just found it annoying to read that part of the book lol. Maybe your right and was a reflection of the country side being conserved by one lonely decker in his blue jacket and that, I found the hobbit a better read it's a nicely paced book that reads well and enjoyable

Ha ha ha, mate ignore what anyone else has wrote, I can't believe I have stumbled upon this as literally when I get home in three weeks I'll be throwing out a box of books by an author who means a LOT to me,

DAVID GEMELL

His books are literally a massive influence on my life and outlook as a person, I have read , reread and read them again so much I literally know then off by heart, between about 14 and twenty I had one on the go constantly, sadly nowadays I rarely get time to pick them up with all my but if you like, you can have them , for nothing, pm me if you wish to arrange delivery but I'd be glad of a home for druss, waylander, tenaka khan, bane, jaim gyrmauch, Jon Shannow and ruathain,

In fact sorry , I got a little misty writing those names, buy your own !!!!!

• Like 1