A New Lightweight Net

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:59 pm

After making up the cheap nets I worked out that I still had enough twine on the ball to make a 25 yard net. I made the net with a 4.25 inch mesh 13 meshes deep in the body of the net, plus selvedges giving a 14 mesh 59.5" deep net.

I used the twine off ebay   I have found it a lovely twine to knit with strong, slightly stiff but takes a single knot well. I would say that it needs to be despooled correctly otherwise you could get twists in it.

009_zpsd6f62e17.jpg

Why I made the net god knows as I dont really need it, I suppose it will go in the bag with the others never to be used.

TC

#2 RossM

RossM

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 10,297 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:04 pm

Sell it mate there was someone after one on here the other day. :thumbs:

#3 perthshire keeper

perthshire keeper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts
  • Location:was cumbria home of the mighty now perthshire home of the strange

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:05 pm

looking very good! i wish i had the "umph" to knit a long net only ever made one! i just make poke nets and fox nets now.......you know ive got a lovely home for a couple of nets tc  ;)  :laugh:  

ive got a load of old nets i was given too ile pop a post up later and see if you can pin down what their made from its LOVELY stuff :yes:  :yes:

#4 Hot Meat

Hot Meat

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:10 pm

What's your poke nets like pk? That's a waste that tiercel, you can't put it in a bag and leave it there lol get it out or sell it.. just out curiosity much would you charge for a lightweight yin?

#5 smithie

smithie

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:30 pm

have a go at making one hm... there are plenty vids and tc put up a link for the twine

• Tiercel likes this

#6 Hot Meat

Hot Meat

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:33 pm

No I'll pass on trying it lol I not needing one just yet anyways to be honest but lad wants his own purse nets and now I got them sorted I'm sure he will want a long net at some point, he just not anywhere near big enough to handle one yet so I got a few years lol

#7 perthshire keeper

perthshire keeper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,407 posts
  • Location:was cumbria home of the mighty now perthshire home of the strange

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:36 pm

What's your poke nets like pk? That's a waste that tiercel, you can't put it in a bag and leave it there lol get it out or sell it.. just out curiosity much would you charge for a lightweight yin?

all my nets are pokes now even if their only short, like purse nest, i just like a bigger net with 2 pegs, same with fox nets all have 2 pegs,,mostly hemp or spun polly to i work a lot of whin bush and brier and bracken so 4z purse nets aint good lol

#8 Hot Meat

Hot Meat

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:39 pm

Got by for years with normal pursenets, but now I got doubled pegged poke nets in bag I use them all time, they 're real handy for some spots

#9 terryd

terryd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:13 pm

That looks a nice little net tc I can see the benefit of that too. With 3 x 50 yarders in my coat and a load of pegs I look like santa hardly low profile :)

• Tiercel, lllluke1 and Hot Meat like this

#10 Mr Goodcat

Mr Goodcat

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:06 am

Looks nice chap. I think I had some samples from the same seller on ebay a while ago, I would be interested to see how it performs. Mr Goodcat.

#11 Country Joe

Country Joe

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:16 pm

all my nets are pokes now even if their only short, like purse nest, i just like a bigger net with 2 pegs, same with fox nets all have 2 pegs,,mostly hemp or spun polly to i work a lot of whin bush and brier and bracken so 4z purse nets aint good lol

Never had a rabbit escape from a poke net till last week,it hit it fine and pursed, by the time i got over the fence, it had escaped, unusual for this type of net.

#12 albert64

albert64

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:29 pm

I looked at this twine, is it thinner/lighter than agouti's longnet twine ?

#13 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:27 pm

I looked at this twine, is it thinner/lighter than agouti's longnet twine ?

If it is thinner It is only Mlcrons. It is a lot less furry though. Incidently this net is now for sale in thé classifieds.

#14 threelander

threelander

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 445 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:25 pm

whats the best way to load your needles off this allan (despool) ???

#15 Mr Wilkes

Mr Wilkes

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:42 pm

Looks the biz tiercel, pity you wont be testing it out. I would have liked to have known how it performs on a rough old night. never mind lets hope whoever takes it will inform us on that :thumbs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users