Homemade High Seat

do any of you lads make your own high seat, there is a good bit of ground that i have permission on to shoot fallow, although i have had 2 in the last couple of weeks it would be far better if i could get a high seat made up as the ground is mainly hazel woodland with a few 1 acre clearings, any pics would be a great help, thanks......john

is that a fold up ?........... :whistling::whistling: :whistling:

Yep

I constructed frames in kit form all numbered and transported 2 full high seats on the roof rack on my Rangie all flat packed then just like MFI used to sell them, ( Looked like Beverly hill billies taking them up the motorway) only thing is it took 2 days to put each one up including ground pegs and stainless retainer wires.

Originally designed by a structural engineer Warren girder construction all timber and threaded bar

Double seated as well, Its even got its own urinal composing of a funnel connected to a hose thats fastened to one of the stiles, ;)

Edited by Caprelous

Proper job those Stu.Well off ground so no scent about nice

If your going down the structural high seat route. A tip construct it out of protomised timber and use bulldog teeth washers and threaded bar. And dont forget to treat the timber with preservative each year or they will wrot in a forest environment.( Note we use creosote which still can be got although its a banned substance licienced users can still use it) ( dont use the water based shite it washes off)

These have been dismantled and resited now numerous times and are now 11 years old and nearly as good as the day I first made them.

Cheers Stu

P.S its important also to have ground anchors at 45 deg to the repose at each corner if you use yacht rigging wire which is stainless it will practically last forever and the ground anchors are 6 ft 3" angle with a hole at the top which a 8mm eye bolt passes through to use as a guy tensioner . Material wise they will cost you around £280 each plus your time. You create your cable endings using cable U cramps put three on each end so it dosent slip

You will also note the ladder in one piece is contained within the construction which mades it hard to steal and also gives security in climbing the high seat. Access is gained through a trap door in the floor which is dropped back down once in and a sliding thwart seat provide a perfect angle for any shot presented.

Edited by Caprelous