Window Shopping / Good Deal ??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tikkas are nice rifles mate, but I will tell you this the build quality is no better than Howa, the super close tolerance engineering that the Japs are obsessed with does show through, the Tikka trigg

No matter what you get in the end get stainless cause our country sucks ass for weather.   Wish I had waited and save a extra £100 for a stainless model sick of cleaning worrying about them rustin

But at the risk of repeating myself, a wood stock glass bedded is a superior platform to cheap, hollow, tacky, flimsy plastic stocks, the reason that plastic is in vogue at the moment is the shooting

Posted Images

No need for stainless if you look after your equipment properly, if your rifle gets wet, dry it properly and oil it, having a stainless rifle is no excuse for proper maintenance :nono:

Bollocks

A stainless rifle is easier to maintain an suits our climate better as for cleaning yes its a must but never having to worry about your gun rusting is a nice felling.

If your out all night shooting in wet conditions your gun can start to rust before you get home to clean it its happened to me.

I think it only £90 more for the howa stainless barrel well worth the money.

Well thats it then folks, lets all sell our unsuitable moly steel rifles and buy stainless, I have obviously been using substandard equipment for years, damn if only I had known, thanks Geoff :thumbs:" Bollocks" for years I used a over and under with normal steel barrels on the foreshore, in the harshest environment you can take a gun, IE salt marsh, and never suffered any rust, why? Becouse I cleaned the thing properly, if you want to put your wet stainless gun back in the cabinet with your other guns after being out in the rain, then crack on me old son, but it is bad practice.

Well thats it then folks, lets all sell our unsuitable moly steel rifles and buy stainless, I have obviously been using substandard equipment for years, damn if only I had known, thanks Geoff :thumbs:" Bollocks" for years I used a over and under with normal steel barrels on the foreshore, in the harshest environment you can take a gun, IE salt marsh, and never suffered any rust, why? Becouse I cleaned the thing properly, if you want to put your wet stainless gun back in the cabinet with your other guns after being out in the rain, then crack on me old son, but it is bad practice.

More bollocks ^

Why would manufacturers make firearms which are made of a more advanced material hmmmm maybe its better

I must also add synthetic stocks are also better for our climate.

If anyone has a proper reason why a stainless rifle does not suit our climate better I would like to hear there view.

stainless steel rifles need cleaned as there is still a smal amout of iron in them and the can rust just not as quick as blued rifles.

Edited by GEOFF.223

More "bollocks" :thumbs: more advanced materiel ? I see that will be why all the worlds top sniper rifles are stainless then will it? No they are not! And you would have thought that all the top barrel makers, like Shillen, Pacnor, ect ect, would make all their custom barrels out of stainless, but for some reason they dont, hmmmm wonder why? Is it because its not better? It is an alternative,and not a better one, synthetic stocks do serve a purpose but lets face it they are about as pleasing to the eye as a cow pat, have your "attractive" wood stock glass bedded, then it will be a far more stable platform than some of the flimsy,ugly, cheap tack plastic stocks on the market today, and if you are going to come in with a wet stainless rifle and clean it, you know just like you would with a moly steel one, then what is the point of stainless, if its so you can sit in a hedge in the rain, chanting to yourself over and over" my rifle will not rust" like a mantra, then perhaps indoor target shooting would be better suited to you, than facing the vagaries of our climate.

Ok I stand corrected on the Shilen,I picked that off the top off my head however, unless you are shooting competition benchrest (almost 100% are stainless) where a stainless barrel is better suited to the harsh chemicals used in the cleaning process of this type of rifle, and does offer a slight advantage of lubricity over chrome moly, most of the worlds most accurate custom barrels will be made from 4140 chrome moly, Lilja being one of the best examples, if it was not as good as stainless then they would all be stainless, I agree totally that stainless is better at warding off corrosion, without a doubt, however my original point was, having a stainless barrel on your rifle is not an excuse for sloppy maintainance, and if you look after your kit properly (as you should) then you will have no problems,and just because you have,or are looking to buy, a rifle that has an ordinary steel barrel, you should not panic and refuse it demanding the must have latest fad for stainless, take care of it and it will be fine, obviously depending on how many rounds you shoot, but stainless barrels will lose their accuracy all at once when their working life is over, rather than gradually like chrome moly barrels, that is why (plus chrome moly has a harder surface than stainless) cm is favoured so much by the military, who do tend to know a thing or two about using firearms in harsh conditions.

Edited by charlie caller

You know im right in what im saying

Stainless synthetic rifles suit our climate better

You don't have to wright pages of guff to try and prove your point because you don't have one.

Every gun needs cleaned everyone knows this, but a stainless NOT AS MUCH THO

The simplicity of what I have said is read slowly you might get it this time STAINLESS RIFLES SUIT OUR CLIMATE BETTER.

And there just as accurate at blued barrels

Military dont use the as they cost more and are not camouflaged and it will cost them more to do so. Not cost effective

Edited by GEOFF.223

Well yes I do have a point Geoff, and it is a simple one, it is not a necessity to have a stainless barrel despite them being more corrosion resistant, I have never argued against that, but I will reiterate, if you look after a blued steel action/barrel properly, you do not NEED a stainless barrel.

Well yes I do have a point Geoff, and it is a simple one, it is not a necessity to have a stainless barrel despite them being more corrosion resistant, I have never argued against that, but I will reiterate, if you look after a blued steel action/barrel properly, you do not NEED a stainless barrel.

So what you are saying is there more corrosive resistant which we know.

Air+h2o+iron= rust/corrosion

We have lots of air

We have tonnes of h2o

We don't need the iron

I can't break it down any simpler than that

Guys, are they not done for the perceived taste of the customers?

The forces generally have a very rigid cleaning routine, are in all manner of places and generally end up spray painting to get a suitable camouflage effect for their given location at that time.

Each shooting discipline might have different perceptions of what they think they need in terms of stocks, barrels, etc

Surely (and i'm really new to all this stuff so have nothing to base an information on) some people's perception when they look to buyt was that synthetic would be better in the rain or damp than wood. Now if others think the same then here we go.

Others may say, wood s laminated and will be fine if you dry, clean, wipe, treat etc

Does manufacturing cost against selling in the market place's trade-off come into it at all?

The quality of the steel, the quality of the finish of the blueing, etc?

Just a thought!

:whistling:

Just read that military use blued steel over stainless because its more rigid and can take a harder knock as military gear gets welled used and abused.

The strict cleaning the usmc use today is came from the Vietnam war when the first ar10 rifle was put into service they had multiple problems with corrosion because of the weather and the barrel was very thin and easily bent

Sounds about right, when you look at some of the old shotguns designed specifically for use in the colonies, especially in jungle areas, the tube thickness is massive, they obviously realised that the humid environment meant that their Purdeys,Hollands, ect were rotting pretty quickly.